iOS?

User avatar
ANAND
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:54
GitHub: ClobberXD
IRC: ANAND ClobberXD
In-game: ANAND ClobberXD
Location: India
Contact:

Re: Minetest iOS

by ANAND » Post

RonsorMinetest wrote:Now it has been said before that the GPL is not compatible with the app store. BUT Minetest is under the LGPL 2.1, which /is/ compatible with the app store’s licensing (LGPL libraries are used in VLC under iOS). So it would be legal to distribute Minetest on the app store (but not really any GPL mods).
Then we can copy-paste the code from the original mods into brand-new LGPL mods (made just for iOS), and call them iDefault, iBed, iBucket, iStairs, iFurnace, iFire, etc. :P

Problem solved? :)
My Mods

cdb_NXKPOcRlgUGdMyf8uLoUQvnMGIfuaHmp

trungus
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 18:14
In-game: Trungus

Re: iOS?

by trungus » Post

Hi guys,

I'm very new with Minetest, I discover it a few days ago and I'm fascinated, it's really a great piece of software and will be great have it on a IOS device (by the way it's the only mayor platform left).

About share folders on IOS devices, it's not true that the app is completely isolated, I have an iPad and Apple release an interface called iDocuments that permit to apps to share content with others, for example, I use "Working Copy" as my git client and "Textastic" as my IDE to edit the files owned by "Working Copy" without an issue, just open and edit it.

Best Regards.
Trungus

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: iOS?

by Lone_Wolf » Post

It would be nice to get Minetest on iOS. A lot of the players on HOMETOWN are iOS users. And once Minetest 5.0 comes out if all of the minetest servers update then the only servers those iOS users will be able to play on would be the minetesthosting ones. And none of those are very good. They all have the same mods
My ContentDB -|- Working on Voxel Knights -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: iOS?

by sorcerykid » Post

I don't foresee server operators being quick to all switch over to 5.0 because it will alienate a large userbase. I think most of the players on a number of popular servers are iOS users.

Personally, I would really like to see a jailbreak version of Minetest released as a proof of concept until the legal issues of app store approval are ironed out.

User avatar
MHL
Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 00:44
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer
Location: Somewhere in SSWZ
Contact:

Re: iOS?

by MHL » Post

programmingchicken wrote:
red-001 wrote:How is it that there is a lot more copies of minetest on the apple store where you have to play $99/year compare to google play which is a one time payment of $25?
the struggle of nine year-olds trying to get minecraft for free on their parent's iPhone is real
You have that problem in the US too? I thought kids trying to get Minecraft for free are only in Poland and European countries generally
COME SEE MY MINETEST MAP!!! FRANCAIS TRADDUCCIONS COMING SOON! ČESKY PŘEKLAD JIŽ NEDLOUHO!!!

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: iOS?

by Lone_Wolf » Post

migdyn wrote:
programmingchicken wrote:
red-001 wrote:How is it that there is a lot more copies of minetest on the apple store where you have to play $99/year compare to google play which is a one time payment of $25?
the struggle of nine year-olds trying to get minecraft for free on their parent's iPhone is real
You have that problem in the US too? I thought kids trying to get Minecraft for free are only in Poland and European countries generally
It's a 'problem' everywhere
My ContentDB -|- Working on Voxel Knights -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: iOS?

by sorcerykid » Post

This is why I believe that all players are players (rather than so-called "guests") even if they happen to be little kids using an unofficial client -- only because there isn't an official client for them to download.

Kids want to play with free software. Nothing wrong with that, or even unusual in my view :)

User avatar
MHL
Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 00:44
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer
Location: Somewhere in SSWZ
Contact:

Re: iOS?

by MHL » Post

sorcerykid wrote:This is why I believe that all players are players (rather than so-called "guests") even if they happen to be little kids using an unofficial client -- only because there isn't an official client for them to download.

Kids want to play with free software. Nothing wrong with that, or even unusual in my view :)
Well, most kids want to play with proprietary software. Just install a GNU/Linux distro on a computer which a kid uses to play Fortknight and watch their reaction
COME SEE MY MINETEST MAP!!! FRANCAIS TRADDUCCIONS COMING SOON! ČESKY PŘEKLAD JIŽ NEDLOUHO!!!

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: iOS?

by sorcerykid » Post

Indeed, what I meant is most kids that don't have access to mommy or daddy's credit card and only have an iPad or iPhone will happily make do with downloading free apps instead :P

User avatar
MHL
Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 00:44
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer
Location: Somewhere in SSWZ
Contact:

Re: iOS?

by MHL » Post

sorcerykid wrote:Indeed, what I meant is most kids that don't have access to mommy or daddy's credit card and only have an iPad or iPhone will happily make do with downloading free apps instead :P
TheseI'm actually surprised the kids don't get annoyed by the ads nad other nasty features in crappy Minetest forks on Google Play
COME SEE MY MINETEST MAP!!! FRANCAIS TRADDUCCIONS COMING SOON! ČESKY PŘEKLAD JIŽ NEDLOUHO!!!

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: iOS?

by Lone_Wolf » Post

migdyn wrote:
sorcerykid wrote:Indeed, what I meant is most kids that don't have access to mommy or daddy's credit card and only have an iPad or iPhone will happily make do with downloading free apps instead :P
TheseI'm actually surprised the kids don't get annoyed by the ads nad other nasty features in crappy Minetest forks on Google Play
They do get annoyed. I see them complaining in the chat on servers all of the time. There's no other way for them though
My ContentDB -|- Working on Voxel Knights -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

User avatar
MHL
Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 00:44
GitHub: NOT APPLICABLE
IRC: MCL
In-game: singleplayer
Location: Somewhere in SSWZ
Contact:

Re: iOS?

by MHL » Post

Lone_Wolf wrote:
migdyn wrote:
sorcerykid wrote:Indeed, what I meant is most kids that don't have access to mommy or daddy's credit card and only have an iPad or iPhone will happily make do with downloading free apps instead :P
TheseI'm actually surprised the kids don't get annoyed by the ads nad other nasty features in crappy Minetest forks on Google Play
They do get annoyed. I see them complaining in the chat on servers all of the time. There's no other way for them though
But there is an official Minetest android port maintained by rubenwardy
COME SEE MY MINETEST MAP!!! FRANCAIS TRADDUCCIONS COMING SOON! ČESKY PŘEKLAD JIŽ NEDLOUHO!!!

User avatar
Lone_Wolf
Member
Posts: 2439
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 05:50
GitHub: LoneWolfHT
IRC: Lone_Wolf or LoneWolfHT
In-game: Lone_Wolf
Location: Not there, THERE!

Re: iOS?

by Lone_Wolf » Post

migdyn wrote:But there is an official Minetest android port maintained by rubenwardy
Oh. I missed the 'Google play' part. Sorry.
All the complaints I've seen are from iOS users
My ContentDB -|- Working on Voxel Knights -|- Minetest Forums Dark Theme!! (You need it)

gsbhasin123
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 00:30
GitHub: gsbhasin123
In-game: codic

Re: iOS?

by gsbhasin123 » Post

Since Freeworld/Buildcraft can run on iOS and are Minetest forks, how about a official Minetest for iOS version? Or maybe a community maintained one that keeps compatibility

User avatar
rubenwardy
Moderator
Posts: 6431
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 18:11
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: iOS?

by rubenwardy » Post

gsbhasin123 wrote:Since Freeworld/Buildcraft can run on iOS and are Minetest forks, how about a official Minetest for iOS version? Or maybe a community maintained one that keeps compatibility
Read the thread. We can't legally make an iOS version. Freeworld and Buildcraft violate our license

User avatar
texmex
Member
Posts: 1752
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 21:08
GitHub: tacotexmex
In-game: tacotexmex

Re: iOS?

by texmex » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Read the thread. We can't legally make an iOS version. Freeworld and Buildcraft violate our license
But does it violate the spirit of the licence or the letter of the license? I never understood this.
Mods | Support Mesehub: bc1qluuests9rxmlnvpjrhsnyjg9ucwy6z3r0y3srw

gsbhasin123
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2019 00:30
GitHub: gsbhasin123
In-game: codic

Re: Minetest iOS

by gsbhasin123 » Post

RonsorMinetest wrote:Now it has been said before that the GPL is not compatible with the app store. BUT Minetest is under the LGPL 2.1, which /is/ compatible with the app store’s licensing (LGPL libraries are used in VLC under iOS). So it would be legal to distribute Minetest on the app store (but not really any GPL mods).
Is this still true? xD
It is technically possible... and if it is not compatible, here's a better way: someone can fork Minetest, change wherever it says Minetest to Minetest-iOS or something, make it closed source, and merge Minetest's master branch whenever a change is introduced. This should be able to connect to (MT) servers. Any volunteers?

User avatar
Lejo
Member
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 16:32
GitHub: Lejo1
In-game: Lejo

Re: iOS?

by Lejo » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
gsbhasin123 wrote:Since Freeworld/Buildcraft can run on iOS and are Minetest forks, how about a official Minetest for iOS version? Or maybe a community maintained one that keeps compatibility
Read the thread. We can't legally make an iOS version. Freeworld and Buildcraft violate our license
Aren’t you the right person to report such license violations?
I hereby report them(von = by):
+ Spoiler
I think you can report them here

User avatar
BirgitLachner
Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18
In-game: Bibs

Re: iOS?

by BirgitLachner » Post

Hi ...
the biggest problem for us teachers is, that there are a lot of pupils that are only having iPads at home during homeschooling.

So they can not play with the others :-(

PS: Yes, I don't like iPads, because a lot of teachers think, that it is they one and only tool that can be used by teachers in school. That's stupid! Some think that the shiny iOS should be mutipotential and if an online tool does not work it their fault.

cuthbertdoublebarrel
Member
Posts: 275
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 16:03
GitHub: cuthbert

Re: iOS?

by cuthbertdoublebarrel » Post

BirgitLachner wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:06
Hi ...
the biggest problem for us teachers is, that there are a lot of pupils that are only having iPads at home during homeschooling.

So they can not play with the others :-(

PS: Yes, I don't like iPads, because a lot of teachers think, that it is they one and only tool that can be used by teachers in school. That's stupid! Some think that the shiny iOS should be mutipotential and if an online tool does not work it their fault.
Yep teachers are strange lot, not all of them mind .Take Ftmc for instance, teaching us the history of 2b2t
https://www.youtube.com/user/SonOfShoop
Are you going to be our minetest history teacher now Sir?.

On the other hand we have "Doni bobes and the crazy teacher" who wanted Doni to change his streaming times because it clashes with her classes .
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 5kOdnfERBi
You make a fair point about ipads. i think it is wrong of teachers to show they are bound to just one os device, ipads are a status symbol so you are promoting that image each and everytime you use it in front of the kids .
Teachers should be encouraged to swap between os devices through term, then they might have a better insight into the problems kids run into, I think its sad that a lot of kids will miss out on minetest due to this issue of licensing .
Project BrutalTest...hide your Petz

User avatar
BirgitLachner
Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:18
In-game: Bibs

Re: iOS?

by BirgitLachner » Post

Well, one reason why iPads are used in schools is the fact, that there are more solutions to maintain a bigger number of iPads at once. Teacher are fearing the possibilty that the pupils take fotos of them oder play (Minetest?) during school-time. And Apple offers a lot of possibilities to restrict the abilities.

That is crazy because it causes a lot of time for the teachers. I prefare BYOD (bring you own device) and hlep for parents to pay attention on the pupils usage of there device.

zeuner
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 20:09
GitHub: zeuner

Re: iOS?

by zeuner » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 17:59
gsbhasin123 wrote:Since Freeworld/Buildcraft can run on iOS and are Minetest forks, how about a official Minetest for iOS version? Or maybe a community maintained one that keeps compatibility
Read the thread. We can't legally make an iOS version. Freeworld and Buildcraft violate our license
Regarding what would it be illegal to create an iOS version that doesn't go through the App Store? Apparently, ScummVM (a GPL-licensed adventure game engine meant for playing existing proprietary adventure games that don't get ported to new platforms) can be built for iOS (https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php?titl ... mVM/iPhone), and using an own Apple developer account, it can even be installed to a device without jailbreaking it (https://blog.pmlabs-apps.com/scummvm-on ... jailbreak/). Wouldn't it be possible to do something similar for Minetest?

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: iOS?

by sorcerykid » Post

Read the thread. We can't legally make an iOS version.
I'm curious if anybody the reason for this? There's nothing in the LGPL 2.1 License Agreement that forbids releasing open-source software on iOS, as long as the source code is provided free of charge.

User avatar
v-rob
Developer
Posts: 832
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 03:19
GitHub: v-rob
IRC: v-rob
Location: Right behind you.

Re: iOS?

by v-rob » Post

sorcerykid wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 19:10
I'm curious if anybody the reason for this? There's nothing in the LGPL 2.1 License Agreement that forbids releasing open-source software on iOS, as long as the source code is provided free of charge.
AFAIK, the iOS App Store itself refuses to allow LGPL, not vice-versa, so it's out of our hands.
GUI Core Developer | My Best Mods: Bridger - Slats - Stained Glass | To contact me, send a PM

User avatar
sorcerykid
Member
Posts: 1538
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2016 15:36
GitHub: sorcerykid
In-game: Nemo
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: iOS?

by sorcerykid » Post

It's possible to install applications on iOS without the App Store. It's known as jailbreaking.

Cydia has been around since 2008, so the option has always been legally available. In fact, the unofficial Cydia App homepage even mentions "A massive choice of unofficial games and apps" as its selling-point. Yet every time this question comes up and someone proposes a jail-break only release of Minetest for iOS (usually me), then the discussion ends and nobody feels compelled to do it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests