[Game] Exile v0.3.17

Mantar

Re: [Game] Exile v0.3.3

by Mantar » Post

Yeah, it seemed to be fixed last night, but I think what it is is that it's just not noticeable on some weather sounds. The patch I did last night definitely helped here, but it's still doing something wrong. I'll have a another look ASAP.
Edit: Wait, that was an obvious thing, at least when I'm awake. Refixenating and uploadamizing -- okay, v0.3.3c/v0.2.6c are now out.
Lead dev of Exile, git repo: https://codeberg.org/Mantar/Exile

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

I’ve run the new version of Exile and haven’t noticed any problems so far.
I was going to suggest adding in iron doors the other day.
The temperature and hud was working fine probably when I ran it on Linux os on the same PC it didn’t. Load it on Windows 10 and no issues.
Normally I use Windows as it’s easier for me to do any coding.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

That fixed it. Thank you very much.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

Another exploit.
Spoiler
Placing a water source next to the top of a ventilation shaft creates a column of flowing water all the way down, allowing access to the city on day 1 by swimming up and down it. We just have to pile appropriate blocks around it to prevent evaporation while we're down there, otherwise the results could be... unfortunate. This renders all rope/ladder development moot.

Players can simply choose not to abuse it, I know I won't be, but would it be possible to differentiate between the direction of flowing water? Horizontal flows and diagonal drops would be fine for swimming, but pure vertical flows would be unswimmable because they're waterfalls. There would need to be an exception made for drops of only 1 block. This would prevent players getting stuck by what should be just a small drop in a stream.

The moral of the story. - Don't go placing waterfalls... (sorry!) :D

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

I'm aware of it. It's partly mitigated by the ABM that causes water nodes to move downward, but it doesn't move unless you're nearby, so it's not likely to fall more than a couple of nodes' distance. I have a notion how to fix it up good, though.
Last edited by Mantar on Tue Sep 28, 2021 19:12, edited 2 times in total.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

There is a new Exile server online:
Land of Catastrophe
minigamesgalore.freeirc.org, port 30004

Any major devs of exile are welcome to prove that they are devs and receive admin status. They will have the ability to shutdown the server and when it automatically restarts in a few minutes it will pull from the master branch of exile, so they may test any changes they are willing to commit to Exile master.

Proof of write status to Exile's repo is needed.

Mantar, if there is a problem with this setup please let me know

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

That seems fine, though I don't think I've given anyone write status yet.

Also, v0.2.6e and v0.3.3e are up, fixing a lurking crash bug.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

I forget, how long is a year in real time?

I ask because when I logged on today winter had arrived, none of our crops had grown in our absence and they didn't catch up, and young plants don't stack which makes saving them difficult.

We may have a bit of a food issue, so I plan to stay offline til spring. :D

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

A default day in minetest lasts 20 minutes, so three days per hour. There are 20 days in an Exile season, and 80 days in an Exile year, which means a year should happen in ~26 & 2/3rds hours. You can type /days to see how many days have passed since the server started.
I don't think the server is running when nobody's connected.

In other news, just before I sat down for lunch here I pushed an update to master to fix a couple of sounds being sent to all players. The code in both cases looked fine; it was telling minetest to play the sound at a specific position, but that position was undefined so minetest just said "oh, so it comes from nowhere, let's play it to everyone." That's fixed now, I'll do another point release when I get a chance.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

Mantar wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 19:31
A default day in minetest lasts 20 minutes, so three days per hour. There are 20 days in an Exile season, and 80 days in an Exile year, which means a year should happen in ~26 & 2/3rds hours. You can type /days to see how many days have passed since the server started.
Thanks.

In terms of units of time in the code, whats the conversion to real time? Eg a crop that takes 1200 units would be how many minutes?
I don't think the server is running when nobody's connected.
That makes sense, since there's been a campfire going for several hours now. I see it every time I pop in for a few seconds. I guess it must have been placed after someone was on long enough to advance the season.

Odd that our crops didn't grow in those 2 seasons though. As I understand it, if someone is on that triggers the server time to advance but local objects don't advance unless someone is close enough, so one can move without the other?

Multiplayer and a world that moves without me changes everything I understood about the game. :P

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Nemesis wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 22:11
In terms of units of time in the code, whats the conversion to real time? Eg a crop that takes 1200 units would be how many minutes?
Under ideal conditions, you could get that node timer to fire off about every 2 seconds, and knock off 1-4 growth ticks. But that assumes ideal conditions, and plant growth is complicated; it takes into account sunlight (for non mushrooms), temperature, and rain. Plants don't grow at night; they don't grow if it's too cold or too hot; they die if it gets brutally cold or hot; and rainfall can accelerate their growth 4x, if the temperature and daylight requirements are also met.

Crops don't usually grow much in winter, but they do grow. Spring and fall are the best growing times.
As I understand it, if someone is on that triggers the server time to advance but local objects don't advance unless someone is close enough, so one can move without the other?
Basically, yes. Some effects are on ABMs, which only update when a player is nearby, others are on timers, which only go off when a player is near, but they know how long it's been and so you can accelerate their effects to make up for lost time. The crop_rewind feature was tricky mostly because I couldn't just say "grow x amount for y days" with so many factors to take in.

Well, I could have faked it, but killing a player's crops because the RNG said "Yeah, I guess it got cold, bro" when the real temperatures weren't that cold is not what I wanted.

Edit: fixed the woven leggings sagging to your knees like everyone was a gangsta

Edit²: A v0.3.3f/v0.2.6f point release is out, with various multiplayer bugfixes, and a couple of incidental improvements.

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Is coal going to be added to the game as a secondary source for making torches or as far cooking?

Can the beds be made to skip the night to prevent waiting several minutes for the sun to come up?
It would be helpful if skipping the night also restores the energy.
It would be better than waiting for improvement in energy and health before
continuing on with exploring or planting crops.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

Jackknife wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 21:22
Is coal going to be added to the game as a secondary source for making torches or as far cooking?
That would be a useful addition. If coal was added it would likely require an iron pickaxe to get to, and by the time you're able to make that you're not really lacking things to burn. You'd still be able to use it for basic needs, but that would be a waste. Historically it was a replacement for charcoal (or vice versa), and could probably substitute for that.
Jackknife wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 21:22
Can the beds be made to skip the night to prevent waiting several minutes for the sun to come up?
It would be helpful if skipping the night also restores the energy.
It would be better than waiting for improvement in energy and health before
continuing on with exploring or planting crops.
In multiplayer, no. In single player, I guess Mantar could add this, but I don't really see the point. This isn't a normal minetest game with monsters at night where you'd want to skip to morning when you can do things again.

It varies by season, but often nighttime is the best time to be outside because during the summer it's cooler after the sun goes down. Even in spring/fall and in the rain, as long as the temperature isn't too far from normal and my energy is fine I'll be out all night gathering/processing/whatever. Waiting for daylight is just wasted time in my opinion.

Worst case, skipping the night could kill you. If you went to bed and decided to skip ahead 8 hours, the game should apply 8 hours of thirst/hunger, and depending on the conditions you could easily die of hypothermia somewhere in that time. Even if the game stopped skipping ahead if you ran into trouble, by then it might be too late to do anything about it.

My advice; learn to enjoy running around with a torch in one hand. ;)

Jackknife

by Jackknife » Post

Realistically dying of hunger and thirst couldn’t happen overnight and since this game obviously doesn’t follow the rules of either Minetest or Minecraft, I’m sure it could be made to have an exception in the coding to balance everything out.

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Making torches out of jamming coal onto a stick and lighting it is a very silly notion that comes entirely from Minecraft, so that's out. Adding coal as an alternative for charcoal is possible, but it's not super necessary.

Nemesis covered why skipping the night is not always what you want pretty well. I would like to make it so that if all connected players are in bed, the day/night cycle accelerates to a higher speed, but it's tricky because much of the engine's and game's mechanics are based on server ticks, not time of day. Getting crops nearby to grow faster is trivial, but making crop rewind account for shortened time will be fairly tricky, and that means players could end up with their farms as a bunch seedlings dying in summer or winter because bed mechanics made those seasons arrive too soon vs the count of seconds.

I dropped the bed acceleration feature so I could get crop_rewind out the door, but I may revisit the idea at some point.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

Regarding my suggestion earlier, blank recipes are possible. A bit of a kludge, but it'll do for now.
Add the following to the end of life.lua if you like.

Edit Edit - Changed to 6x and 24x, since the first is a more reasonable use case, and the 2nd more useful for large batches.

Code: Select all

--page spacing
for i = 1,3,1 do
crafting.register_recipe({
	type = "threshing_spot",
	output = "",
	items = {},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})
end

--bulk recipes x6
for i in ipairs(plantlist) do
	local plantname = plantlist[i][1]
		type = "threshing_spot",
		output = "nodes_nature:"..plantname.."_seed 36",
		items = {"nodes_nature:"..plantname.." 6"},
		level = 1,
		always_known = true,
	})
end
for i in ipairs(plantlist2) do
	local plantname = plantlist2[i][1]
		type = "threshing_spot",
		output = "nodes_nature:"..plantname.."_seed 36",
		items = {"nodes_nature:"..plantname.." 6"},
		level = 1,
		always_known = true,
	})
end

--page spacing
for i = 1,3,1 do
	type = "threshing_spot",
	output = "",
	items = {},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})
end

--bulk recipes x24
for i in ipairs(plantlist) do
	local plantname = plantlist[i][1]
		type = "threshing_spot",
		output = "nodes_nature:"..plantname.."_seed 144",
		items = {"nodes_nature:"..plantname.." 24"},
		level = 1,
		always_known = true,
	})
end
for i in ipairs(plantlist2) do
	local plantname = plantlist2[i][1]
		type = "threshing_spot",
		output = "nodes_nature:"..plantname.."_seed 144",
		items = {"nodes_nature:"..plantname.." 24"},
		level = 1,
		always_known = true,
	})
end

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Easy enough, and a nice QoL improvement. It's up on github now.
I'll probably do another point release with the latest fixes and improvements soon.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

In that case... Matching recipes for plant_crafts.

Edit - These should go at the end of the recipe list, imho.

Code: Select all

type = "mortar_and_pestle",
	output = "tech:anperla_tuber_peeled 36",
	items = {"nodes_nature:anperla_seed 36"},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})

--mash
	output = "tech:mashed_anperla 6",
	items = {"tech:anperla_tuber_peeled 36"},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})

output = "tech:anperla_tuber_peeled 144",
	items = {"nodes_nature:anperla_seed 144"},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})

--mash
	output = "tech:mashed_anperla 24",
	items = {"tech:anperla_tuber_peeled 144"},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})

output = "tech:vegetable_oil 6",
	items = {'nodes_nature:vansano_seed 72'},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})
	output = "tech:vegetable_oil 24",
	items = {'nodes_nature:vansano_seed 288'},
	level = 1,
	always_known = true,
})

Last edited by Nemesis on Thu Oct 07, 2021 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Nemesis

by Nemesis » Post

That's all the plant based recipes that need bulk versions, so now I'd like to suggest the opposite; a slight reworking of maraka to make the recipe smaller.

Unless it would affect balance too much, change the recipe for maraka flour to only need 12 nuts, increase the stacking on flour to 8, and change the recipe for cakes to output 6 cakes for 1 flour. This doesn't change the ratios at all, it just allows players to get food sooner in the early game, instead of having to collect a huge amount of nuts to make more food than they need.

There could still be bulk recipes to use 48 nuts for 4 flour, and 4 flour for 24 cakes.

The only downside would be existing saved games, where anyone with flour in their bags would be losing 3/4 of the value.

MisterE
GitHub: MisterE123
IRC: MisterE
In-game: MisterE

by MisterE » Post

using this:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27361

We can add background music. It will be sent dynamically to each individual player, one at a time, so it wont affect login times. Players with slow connections may experience lag as the music file is sent, especially if it is a larger file. But the music is disabled by default, you use /bgm to toggle it on. So it would not cause confusion. It says "not recommended for slow connections"

You can see the linked music modpack for minetest game as an example of how to use it to add music. Using this mod would require us to update the server to 5.5 dev, which I can do if you tell me to. 5.4 clients could then accept bgm

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Sounds cool, but should probably wait until 5.5.0 is released. Debian stable users are still on 5.3.0, which is why I have the 0.2.x branch of releases. (That reminds me, I haven't run a test run on that branch in a couple of weeks, I should do that)

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Over on github, I fixed a bug with glass bottles turning into clay water pots when you drank from them, and scratched a personal itch that's bugged me for a while. Behold, the wattle door frame:
No longer will wattle doors have to stand a foot away from wattle walls! The icon kinda sucks, but it gets the job done. Hey, I'm no pixel artist.
Attachments
Wattle Door Frame.jpg
Wattle Door Frame.jpg (212.37 KiB) Viewed 7309 times

Mantar

by Mantar » Post

Exile v0.3.4 and v0.2.7 are out now!
Changes:
- New player api: head tracking, multiplayer skins, male and female characters
- An introduction screen for new players, and a display of the day/season/year
- Place snow/ice/water on top of a clay water pot, it will fill it