Vanessa's texture pack test track [20130413]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

Vanessa's texture pack test track [20130413]

by VanessaE » Post

Recently, I was inspired to make a world/map one can use to show off (and perhaps snap screenshots of) texture packs or perhaps variations on several popular mods. It's something I've been wanting to make for a while, and the one that Calinou recently posted kinda gave me incentive to finally get to work. :-)

This world contains most of the nodes from Minetest's defaults (of course), as well as the moreblocks, moreores, blox, bobblocks, wool, plantlife mods/modpacks, and is done in a style similar to one I saw for Minecraft. More node types will be added as time and my obsessive nature permit. :-)

The default nodes shown here are roughly in alphabetical order from left to right, bottom to top, with the game's default stuff at the bottom, while the nodes for the various mods above those are roughly grouped according to the type or material, color, or whatever is appropriate. I tried to group the various minerals, ingots, lumps, and blocks in a logical manner also. Colors are generally sorted in ROYGBIV order, mostly left-to-right.

These files are meant to used with the latest 0.4 git (or a build thereof) and current versions of the above mods. However, if you're using vanilla Minetest (as opposed to one of its forks), you may have to install most (if not all) of the mods this Test Track supports. Otherwise, Minetest will crash when trying to display the undefined nodes.

Just unzip this file, put the resultant "Texture-Pack-Test-Track" folder into in your Minetest worlds folder (~/.minetest/worlds/ or the Windows equivalent), and then start Minetest and select the newly added world. When the world starts, don't touch the mouse, just turn off the HUD (F1) and chat/debug output (F2), then hit F12 or your OS's screenshot key. If necessary, issue a "/time xxxx" command to set the clock to where you want (e.g. for predictable day or night shots).

License: WTFPL (applies to all parts)

Download: http://digitalaudioconcepts.com/vanessa ... 130413.zip

Screenshot:
Image resolution: 2550x1985. Abridged version, shown using the game's and various mods' default textures. Image is larger than it appears here - use your browser to view it separately from this page or download and view it offline.

Changelog:

2013-04-13: Re-arranged a few things in the test track to account for changes in Minetest and some supported mods since this was last updated. Had to remove the tools and other entity objects from the map because it's impossible to place them anymore. Got rid of the "full" version of the test track, as it is quite obsolete now.

2012-11-20: Added abridged version that lacks support for nature pack and one or two other things, and which uses only the game's default wool mod instead of the older, separate 32-color one.

2012-06-30: Re-created the test track in a whole new world/map - something in Minetest had changed since the last one was released, causing the original one to stop working. In the process, I was able to organize this one a lot better than before, and make everything a little more visible. Not to mention, this version shows off more stuff! ;-)

2012-06-04: Initial Upload, I think.
Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Apr 13, 2013 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Wow!
It definitely pwns mine. :P

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

VanessaE: What mods are being used? Justa question.

LolManKuba

by LolManKuba » Post

Jordach wrote:VanessaE: What mods are being used? Justa question.
I know! Some
Your wool mod
More ores/More Tools by Calinou
Bush mod? by Kdd
VanessaE's poision ivy

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Indeed, the bushes mod (actually part of nature pack in my case), and the poison ivy mod are installed, but they're not visible in the screenshot (there's an example of each just behind the main pyramidal stack, randomly spawned as usual).

Those which I intentionally placed for display are listed in the first post.

EDIT: The bushes and poison ivy mods have since been given screen-time in this track. :-)
Last edited by VanessaE on Sun Jul 01, 2012 01:05, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Miner99

by Miner99 » Post

The problem is when you just want a part of the mods
I was in the Nether...
and came back.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

In that case, just download and run the test track, grab the mese pick on the left, and use it to dig and remove whatever nodes aren't supported by your texture pack and collection of mods, even if the show as "unknown". The current version of the game lets you do this easily.

nman3600
GitHub: nman3600
IRC: nman3600
In-game: nman3600

Re: Vanessa's texture pack test track [20130413]

by nman3600 » Post

I was planning to make a map like this but you beat me to it! Good job vanessaE! This is perfect for my texture pack i'm working on
There is just no angry way to say 'Bubbles'