[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

irksomeduck

by irksomeduck » Post

I get an error on startup that says "Failed to load and run C://Users\irksomeduck\desktop\minetest\bin\...\Animalsmodpack1.4.2" Any way to fix this?
I love exploring minetest worlds :D
If you have a good seed let me know
--------------------------------------------------
My world/house pack- http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3066

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

irksomeduck wrote:I get an error on startup that says "Failed to load and run C://Users\irksomeduck\desktop\minetest\bin\...\Animalsmodpack1.4.2" Any way to fix this?
Only if you post the last ~20 lines of debug.txt

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@irksomeduck missing modpack.txt
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Create an empty file with exactly this name:

modpack.txt

in the folder Animalsmodpack1.4.2

There are other solutions too.

iggyjeckel

by iggyjeckel » Post

maybe this has been answered but i'm getting this error and i'm not allowed to get on the game when this mod is installed. maybe i did it wrong but i'm getting the following from the debug

08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ModError: mod "animal_big_red" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_chicken" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_clownfish" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_cow" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_creeper" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_deer" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_dm" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_fish_blue_white" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_gull" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_rat" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_sheep" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf" "wool".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_vombie" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_wolf" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "barn" has unsatisfied dependencies: "animal_sheep" "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "mobf" has unsatisfied dependencies: "wool".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "mob_slime" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "trap" has unsatisfied dependencies: "animal_vombie" "mobf".

breinzter11

by breinzter11 » Post

this is amazing

Now i feel playing minecraft . . . . . . . . .

breinzter11

by breinzter11 » Post

iggyjeckel wrote:maybe this has been answered but i'm getting this error and i'm not allowed to get on the game when this mod is installed. maybe i did it wrong but i'm getting the following from the debug

08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ModError: mod "animal_big_red" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_chicken" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_clownfish" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_cow" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_creeper" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_deer" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_dm" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_fish_blue_white" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_gull" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_rat" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_sheep" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf" "wool".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_vombie" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "animal_wolf" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "barn" has unsatisfied dependencies: "animal_sheep" "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "mob_slime" has unsatisfied dependencies: "mobf".
08:45:20: VERBOSE[main]: mod "trap" has unsatisfied dependencies: "animal_vombie" "mobf".
That mean you dont have mobf maybe . . . . . . .

iggyjeckel

by iggyjeckel » Post

Ok, so im new....whats mobf?

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

iggyjeckel wrote:Ok, so im new....whats mobf?
mobf is one of the folders/maps in the animals_modpack-1.4.2

--> Which version of minetest do you run? The wool mod is built in since version 0.4.1 stable under /home/TOPYWO/celeron55-minetest-2ac2098/games/minetest_game/mods and all newer versions.

1) Try to upgrade to or install (one of the) latest versions of minetest.
1) Alternative: Install the old wool mod (made by Jordach) http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1520
2) Extract animals_modpack-1.4.2 in /home/TOPYWO/celeron55-minetest-2ac2098-Test 1/mods/minetest
3) create in /home/TOPYWO/celeron55-minetest-2ac2098-Test 1/mods/minetest/animals_modpack-1.4.2 an empty file and name it modpack.txt

-- The bold foldernames are important for you

Good luck!

OwenBean

by OwenBean » Post

Hi everyone.

Recently been running animals on a local server and I've been connecting to a friend via a vpn (hamachi)
Without the mod the server runs just fine, but with it I am getting 3 distinct errors that crash the game

1. Some Access: Violation
2. Server: peer_id=2: failed to emerge player
3. Warning: failed to stop animal drowning.

The server crashes at random points, but mainly when my friend joins, whig I assume is due to the spawning of new animals

I really would hate to have to stop using this mod, because it adds so much to the game, but does.anyone have a solution to this?
Is it just my machine? (4gb ram)

Apologies for not being particularly detailled - I am doing those errors from memory - I stupidly deleted.my debug.txt (it was getting far too big)
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
And thank uou.for making a fantastoc.mod!

Owen.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

hello owen,
"3. Warning: failed to stop animal drowning. " as you tell it's a warning only not doing any harm

1 and 2 might be same reason. Especially if both is happening on player joining. There's a open github issue 229. Telling minetest can't handle entities accelerating very well as soon as server reaches it's load capacity (even if it's only for moments).
Player joining most of the time creates load spikes as server needs to load lots of new chunks.

If you're capable of compiling server yourself there's a workaround noted in this issue too. (No guarantee this workaround doesn't do any bad, it works for me is the only thing I can tell about it)

OwenBean

by OwenBean » Post

Hi sapier - thanks for the responce! Im uncertain as to what you mean by github 229 but im googling my best lol.

I don't understand why things would be accelerating? Is it all the spawned animals that are falling or soemthing?

Is this a bug with animals, minetest, or my computer/server? Are there any planned fixes for this coming soon?

Thanks again, Owen.

ruca

by ruca » Post

When i go deep down mining, minetest keep crashing with this error:

ServerError: LuaError: error
../minetest/mobf/spawn_algorithms/deep_large_caves.lua:89:attempt to

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@OwenBean any animal has gravity applied to it ... gravity is 9.81 m/s² in real world and 9.81 in minetest too, players gravity is fixed set to this value while entities may vary. Ground bound animals (sheep, cow ...) have set it's y-acceleration (gravity) to this value. Normaly the won't accelerate either becaus they collide to ground. An there the problem begins. Collision handling first of all collects ALL nodes that are in path between current position of an entity and its predicted position if there wasn't any collision.
9.81 ... 3 seconds delay ... ~20 blocks distance ... assuming diagonal movement ~ 80 blocks to check for ANY animal. I've seen times where delay was 10seconds and more. Thats why out of memory happens too.

As core should be capable of recovering from temporary load spikes in my opinion this is a bug in collision handling.

@ruca there's some information missing, I hope its enough to find out what happens in your error case.

EDIT1: Buf found remove > .. " maxlight was: " .. maxlight< from line 89
Last edited by sapier on Fri Sep 14, 2012 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Well, cheat. Ground-bound animals do not really nead gravity all the time. They might check often enough if they're on ground or in air and - if in air - how high. Higher than they may survive? Bye-bye animal (or just cheat again and let it climb back or beam elsewhere). Not too high? Fine. Simulate some dropping for those few blocks (or turn gravity on) and proceed normally from there on. There is no gain in seeing animals drop from all those cliffs and ridges with simulated acceleration. Minetest stores thousends of dense blocks in one wooden chest - reality is elsewhere :-)
Even if that might look a bit cartoonish (gravity is there only if you remember it, and you don't fall if you don't know that there is no ground beneth you) it may still fit and be good enough.

Apart from that animals ought to move much slower. If there is no good reason to be fast (i.e. fleeing from a predator or - as a predator - trying to catch prey) slow movement is much cheaper - for the real animal and for the computer handling it. In Minetest if you don't jump frequently enough it only goes downward :-) There isn't much free space which might allow high acceleration horizontally anyway.

(Besides, did you get my mail? I'm not quite sure everything worked there. I'm used to forums which provide their own message system)
A list of my mods can be found here.

OwenBean

by OwenBean » Post

Ahh I was using an older version of the mod to start with! haha sorry thought I was on the current version - I really should have checked!! Hopefully this will fix my problem - I was using 1.3.4,

I will need to test the latest version on my server later on today, but something that I have noticed (in singleplayer in both versions - that DMs seem to disappear when I leave their cave and return? is that just me?

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

sapier: Maybe you can use automatic_rotate to rotate the animals -> better looking.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@Sokomine no one told me their moving to fast by now ;-) It's a small fix to do so if there are others with same oppinion I'll change it.

Yes checking height every now and then would be a possibility but first of all it's a hack only and second it'll result in really strange movement.

@PilzAdam I'll have a look if it's possible to use it.

EDIT1:
@Sokomine thanks for your bugfix, it got cought by spam filter. I'm going to add your fix for next version
Last edited by sapier on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

A new version.
I've fixed the bugs discovered since last version.
Added a new settings option to disable spawning of animals
Some ppl told me lag doesn't occurr if no spawning is done that's why I started to replace abm based spawning by mapgen based spawning. This will result in animals not beeing spawned in already generated areas!

@ALL please tell me if using mapgen based spawning reduces lag!

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

I like mapgen based spawning for its speed, but it would be nice to be able to breed the animals to restock local populations rather than having to take them from other habitats.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@temperest at least for sheep there's already breeding support use barn.

If mapgen spawning fixes the long outstanding lag problem I'm going to add breeding support for all other relevant animals too. Probably even wildlife breeding.

I've just found the orientation bug and have improoved random direction selection algorithm too, so breeding (barn based) will be next task.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

That sounds good! It already works better and crashes a lot less. Loading a new area is still quite slow - junglegrass & co spawn as well.

One reason why I wanted to turn spawning off (thanks for implementing!) is that I believe animals spawn, wander around randomly, drop down here, drop down there, occasionally jump up - but not often enough - they end up on lower ground - and either drown or are removed after dropping. And then another doomed animal is spawned and it starts all over again. That does cost ressources (remove old animal, get new spawn point, create new animal) and doesn't help much. They ought to survive longer on "hostile" Minetest ground :-)

I tried to figure out how to stop them from dropping more than one block down. Most of the time their state "drop" seems to correspond with "collided with ground the animal's walking on" and can be ignored. It is possible to detect weather they will fall down too deep or not, but I didn't manage to actually *stop* them from dropping :-( I only detected *that* they'll really drop now. Sheep ran at high speed and then - not a big surprise - fell down.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@Sokomine actually movement gen tries to avoid dropping at all but if time between two "on_step" handlers is too big it can't prevent them from dropping.

if jump up chances are to low they can be increased. But I'd like to verify that jump possibility check is working correct, if it doesn't detect a jump possibility it won't jump at all.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

All the more reason for animals to move slower :-) Keeps them from falling down...

As far as jumping is concerned: Randomly jumping around might even look funny and entertain the player. At least if it's a relatively small animal...jumping cows would be strange.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@sokomine there are two differend "jump" modes, a random one used e.g. for rats and a "jump_up" mode only issued to climb

I've replaced some abm based spawn algos by mapgen based ones, did this improove lag with spawning enabled?

EDIT1:
@Temperest I've added roostest and steers to enable breeding of cow and chicken
Last edited by sapier on Mon Sep 17, 2012 20:04, edited 1 time in total.