[Mod] growing trees [0.0.9] [growing_trees]

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@cisoun of course you may
another info for you not to make same mistake I did, first I tried to loop to whole chunk x,z ... wich is way to slow.

Current algorithm partitions chunk (roughly) in square areas based uppon tree distance and randomly tries to place a tree within this area. I say tries because I do 5 attempts and check those positions if they match some attributes I require to place a tree there. If after 5 attempts no tree can't be placed I skip.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Spots

by Spots » Post

i tested it today also and i like it a lot great job

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I'm sorry to disappoint you but this mod needs major code rework until I see any chance celeron will accept it for default game. I'm currently reworking code for a growing_cactus mod and at some functions code is really horrible.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Leasons Learned on growing_cactus have been included within growing trees making trees even better than before ;-)

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

In the 0.0.5...the zip file is named "growing cactus" rather than "growing trees". I guess this wasn't intentional. :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

VanessaE wrote:In the 0.0.5...the zip file is named "growing cactus" rather than "growing trees". I guess this wasn't intentional. :-)
Shucks I was really excited to try the new growing trees, so I downloaded it anyway and renamed it to growing trees. Unfortunately it blew up because I think it really is a link to the cactus mod and not the tree mod.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It indeed is the cactus mod, though I found out a little less ... unceremoniously than you did :-)

(I tried to craft two sapling -> one growing tree sapling, which gave no result)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Sorry I messed up the links, fixed it.

sysedit

by sysedit » Post

The download-service you are using is making me throw up so I have mirrored the newest release.
http://media.w3-net.de/growing_trees-0.0.5.zip

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

The growing cactii look beautiful, even while in the process of growing. The growing trees not as much. For example, what I'm seeing is a trunk that grows to about 12 high with a really small clump of leaves at the top. So it looks like a cotton swab. Then after a while small nubs grow out. That might be good for a cactus but not for a tree. I was looking at real trees, and their branches aren't a bunch of horizontal, lshaped and vertical branches. they are more 45% angle and straight up branches, and the branching starts fairly low down like this:

| \ |
\ | |
\ | /
H
H

And also a lot more leaves around all the branches, but not the lower trunk.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sat Sep 15, 2012 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

sysedit

by sysedit » Post

Neuromancer wrote:The growing cactii look beautiful, even while in the process of growing. The growing trees not as much. For example, what I'm seeing is a trunk that grows to about 12 high with a really small clump of leaves at the top. So it looks like a cotton swab. Then after a while small nubs grow out. That might be good for a cactus but not for a tree. I was looking at real trees, and their branches aren't a bunch of horizontal, lshaped and vertical branches. they are more 45% angle and straight up branches, and the branching starts fairly low down like this:

| \ |
\ | |
\ | /
H
H

And also a lot more leaves around all the branches, but not the lower trunk.
I agree to that. Though my trees are not very big as of now. And I must say I am quite satisfied at what this mod already supplies at this early stage of development.

I have another feature request. Can you instead of crafting the mods saplings with two saplings use the original saplings. It seems to make a lot more sense.

sysedit

by sysedit » Post

Timber mod will not work with growing trees. Since it will only remove "default:jungletree", "default:papyrus", "default:cactus", "default:tree" that are stacked. I am reporting this here because I think there should be a way to not have a world where A lot of trees have a missing trunk below and unreachable wood above and growing_trees does not address this Problem as of yet. Rewriting part of timber is definitive an option. Atm if you just add growing_tree-nodes to timber it will leave you with the trunk missing and the sprout intact. From the code I would say it leaves branches, too. All in all very unsatisfactory atm.

sysedit

by sysedit » Post

Somebody did write code to make timber compatible with growing trees here http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1590&p=2

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@sysedit @Neuromancer growing trees aren't expected to grow that way I'll have a look whats wrong with it. They should grow branches as soon as thei reach a height of 4.
Last edited by sapier on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:32, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@all trees should look much better in growth by this version pleas tell me if they don't

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

My trees are growing through a stone structure, is there a fix for that yet? I have one next to a building and the limbs and leaves are replacing some of the stone blocks.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@BrandonReese I'll have a look at it that shouldn't happen of course

fgr

by fgr » Post

got crashed while using this mod. some Value where set to NIL, i guess it was the max height .... should be picked up as bug :)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

can you please supply a crash log finding "some values" where nil is a little bit difficult

fgr

by fgr » Post

Code: Select all

01:50:02: ERROR[main]: ERROR: An unhandled exception occurred: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...minetest_game/mods/growing_trees/trunk_functions.lua:121: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'height' (a nil value)
01:50:02: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:

In thread 7fa52956d740:
/build/buildd/minetestc55-0.4.3/src/main.cpp:1741: int main(int, char**): Assertion '0' failed.
Debug stacks:
DEBUG STACK FOR THREAD 7fa52956d740:
#0  int main(int, char**)
(Leftover data: #1  Dedicated server branch)
(Leftover data: #2  virtual void ServerMap::save(ModifiedState))
(Leftover data: #3  virtual void ServerMap::saveBlock(MapBlock*))
(Leftover data: #4  void ItemStack::serialize(std::ostream&) const)
Aborted (core dumped)
Does that helps?
Last edited by fgr on Mon Sep 17, 2012 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

yes that helps thank you!
Last edited by sapier on Tue Sep 18, 2012 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@BrandonReese I've added some additional check please tell me if that doesn't fix your problem.

Spots

by Spots » Post

hit a bug
12:25:20: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ServerError: LuaError: error: ....3-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\growing_trees/abms.lua:209: attempt to compare function with number

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@spots wow you reached maximum tree size ....
replace line 209 by "if math.random() < 0.1 then" I'll release a fixed version soon

Spots

by Spots » Post

hehehe yea for me breaking stuff lol all i did was cut down the default tress and plant yours all around my home because yours makes things look so much nicer IMO