Experience with Minetest and Puppy Lupu

RAPHAEL

Experience with Minetest and Puppy Lupu

by RAPHAEL » Post

Decided to post about my experience with Minetest 0.4dev and Puppy Linux Lupu and to also ask if anyone else is using Minetest on Puppy.

Basically to get it going I had to download libjpeg deb and Minetest Maverick deb. Updated graphics drivers and it loaded. However the FPS is 1. Yes 1. On Windows XP with DirectX FPS averages 20-40.

Is this an issue with OpenGL? I noticed OpenGL on Windows performs similar but with average FPS of 5-10.

Any known ways to speed it up so it can be played? I kinda like my portable Puppy Distro lol.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

First, disable 3D clouds and new style water (keep it transparent, but don't make it lower than surface) - those 2 things take up a lot of resources.
Are you sure you are using closed source drivers?
What is your graphics card?

RAPHAEL

by RAPHAEL » Post

3d clouds and new style water was already disabled when I got the 1 FPS. As for the drivers I'm unsure of them. They were suggested for the graphics I have (integrated Intel). Yea not the best of graphics card for gaming but it works ok on windows with minetest lol.
"Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it kind, is it true, is it necessary, does it improve upon the silence?"
My mods: http://goo.gl/n4kpn
(Currently Various, Industrial, Fakeblocks, Jail, MoarCraft, Christmas, Replicator, minetest dev installer for linux, bash mod installer, windows mod installer)

maddogg

by maddogg » Post

Yes may also help to change render distance it helps with me