Minetest on Windows help..

princessjinifer

Minetest on Windows help..

by princessjinifer » Post

So, I am trying to get Minetest setup with PortableApps. And my question is, how would I go about moving the minetest.exe to the root folder of the minetest folder? So instead of it being in minetest/bin/minetest.exe it would be minetest/minetest.exe. That way, PortableApps can recognize it, and will load it in the apps menu.

And, if I just download the pre-compiled one for Windows, does it make a folder in %APPDATA% for things? Or is it already compiled with the DRUN_IN_PLACE ? And does DRUN_IN_PLACE cause Minetest to keep player data files in the Minetest folder or the user home folder? (both Linux and Windows)

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to clear things up!

Thanks!

Princessjinifer

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was not sure which forum to post this in, so I just chose General Discussion.. Please move it if necessary.
Last edited by princessjinifer on Fri Sep 28, 2012 01:44, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

RUN_IN_PLACE keeps all user data (mods, worlds) in the game's folder. The default binary is already compiled with RUN_IN_PLACE set to 1.

princessjinifer

Calinou wrote:RUN_IN_PLACE keeps all user data (mods, worlds) in the game's folder. The default binary is already compiled with RUN_IN_PLACE set to 1.
Okay. I knew it kept the worlds and maps there.. But I wasn't sure if it kept all the ~/.minetest files there as well, but, since that is where mods are kept in the system wide version, then I guess that answers my question. I think setting up a symlink (or whatever they are called in windoze) called minetest.exe and maybe PortableApps will recognize that as the executable to place in my apps list.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

+1 for PortableApps, but the current builds of Minetest already run from a flash drive on Windows.

princessjinifer

Jordach wrote:+1 for PortableApps, but the current builds of Minetest already run from a flash drive on Windows.
I know they already run on Flash Drives.. I kinda said that in my last post, but didn't actually say it. What I am trying to do, is get the Minetest executable to show up in the PortableApps apps menu, making easier to open :)
I will tell you if what I am about to do works! :D

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

princessjinifer wrote:
Jordach wrote:+1 for PortableApps, but the current builds of Minetest already run from a flash drive on Windows.
I know they already run on Flash Drives.. I kinda said that in my last post, but didn't actually say it. What I am trying to do, is get the Minetest executable to show up in the PortableApps apps menu, making easier to open :)
I prefer just to use the Binary Folder, failing that, I just make a "drive" independent shortcut.

princessjinifer

Jordach wrote:
princessjinifer wrote:
I prefer just to use the Binary Folder, failing that, I just make a "drive" independent shortcut.
I figured it out.. Just move all the minetest folders (bin, worlds, mods etc..) to the PortableApps directory, which by default is DriveNumber:\PortableApps. Instead of putting them in DN:\PortableApps\minetest just put them in the PortableApps folder, and then hide them all (just to keep it neat looking) but bin. Then you can refresh portable apps app menu and it will be there :)