Wanted to know something.

Psychotic

Wanted to know something.

by Psychotic » Post

Sorry if i posted a topic like this before, if i did, could anyone link it here?

Anyway, i was considering getting Minetest, and i have a few questions.

1. Does minetest run in windowed mode? only reason i ask is because i have seen videos of it and the login screen looks fullscreen.

2. Is it safe to download? (sorry about this one, i had a virus scare a few days back, and im really careful about what i download.

3. This one is more trivial but, can i re use my minecraft mining methods on Minetest?
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

1. Yes - by default the window is 800x600 but you can resize it as you see fit, maximize it, etc., or you can go full-screen.

2. Yes - it is safe as long as you download it from one of these sources:
http://minetest.net (the author's website)
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest (the official engine source code repository)
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest_g ... its/master (the official "game" code - you'll need this if you use the above engine repository)
https://code.launchpad.net/~minetestdevs (the official Ubuntu nightly builds repository)
http://sfan.sf.funpic.de/ (sfan's windows builds)
http://digitalaudioconcepts.com/vanessa ... /minetest/ (my tweaked AMD64 Linux builds)

3. Whether your normal mining methods will work on Minetest kinda depends on what those methods are. For example in Minetest it's common to dig a deep vertical shaft and then branch out from the bottom of it (that's how I do it), old-fashioned strip mining, really deep quarries cleared of every node in the region, or whatever else. If you rely on following veins of minerals as at least one MineCraft mod creates, that won't work in Minetest.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

yeah, what i do in Minecraft is dig down to y=12 and dig a 3x3 hallway and make 1x2 mining tunnels every 4 blocks on the left and right sides of said hallway.
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That will work fine in Minetest.

If you have mods such as moreores, gloopores, and others that add more minerals, you'll want to go far deeper, to perhaps -1000 or lower so that all of the minerals added by those mods are available to be found.

You may want to make tunnels every three blocks instead though - that is, 2 blocks' worth of wall between 1-block-wide tunnels, just so you don't miss any minerals (this applies to Minecraft also I'm sure).
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Wait, how far does minetest's world even go down anywho? -1000 blocks?

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Psychotic wrote:Wait, how far does minetest's world even go down anywho? -1000 blocks?
more than -30,000 blocks down
Last edited by rubenwardy on Wed Oct 10, 2012 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

how....how is that even POSSIBLE?

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

It is called a short signed variable.

Silverwolf

by Silverwolf » Post

Psychotic wrote:Wait, how far does minetest's world even go down anywho? -1000 blocks?
from how far i go it dosent seem to have a limit...
Wolves live to find Paradise.
I have finally found mine.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Jordach wrote:It is called a short signed variable.
Hate to bother, but could you explain that, im not the best at coding terms

But thats awesome though, if minetest can handle this.....then i might be able to build the underground megacity i have always wanted to build.....hmm

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Psychotic wrote:
Jordach wrote:It is called a short signed variable.
Hate to bother, but could you explain that, im not the best at coding terms

Me neither, I'm still learning how to compile 'Hello world' in C++ ...

The short signed variable is 2 byte. Signed means that you can put a "-" sign before it. The range of it is between -32,768 and 32,767. So if you use a short signed variable to determine how far up and down you can go in minetest you can set the maximum height and depth to that range. I read this in a C++ on line tutorial.

But thats awesome though, if minetest can handle this.....then i might be able to build the underground megacity i have always wanted to build.....hmm

Yes, Don't worry about not having enough space :-)

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

how big is a MC world?

NakedFury

by NakedFury » Post

MC is very small in height. I think they are at 256 right now.

cornernote

by cornernote » Post

Whats at the end? And what's at the end in MT too?

Is it like a region that doesnt load and you cant walk to it?

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

A MT world is a massive cube; it goes from -30912 to 30927 in all 3 directions. The space outside those limits is transparent but solid; if you teleport to -30912 you can walk on the bottom of the world with nothing but sky under you. Dropped items can fall through the bottom of the world, and you can fly outside with free_move.
Last edited by Menche on Thu Oct 11, 2012 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Ok, i have decided to download Minetest, but does anyone have a video showing how to install, and run it?

2. Also, any tips for my first night?

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

you might have seen but there are no default mobs in the newest version so you don't have to be afraid of them you can download a mod for them but if you don't you can spend your first night exploring as long as you found coal before night.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

ok, thanks, sorry about so many of my stupid questions guys, but thanks for answering them Also, is 800x600 the average size for a MC window?

*Minecraft
Last edited by Psychotic on Thu Oct 11, 2012 18:02, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

It's the standard size. You can adjust it during the game with F11 (for me) or in/dercreasing the window or set it in the minetest.conf: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3197

#----GRAPHIC----
fullscreen = false # show window in fullscreen
screenW = 800 # width of the window
screenH = 600 # height of the window
vsync = false # vertical synchronisation
video_driver = opengl # video driver; possible values: null, software, burningsvideo, direct3d8, direct3d9, opengl

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Minecraft's default window size is 854*480.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

So minetest is about the same size/slightly larger? Cool.