[Game] developing minetest_game [minetest]

Games that have been abandoned and no longer work properly with the latest version of Minetest.
Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

[Game] developing minetest_game [minetest]

by Casimir » Post

This is a fork of PilzAdams version of the standard game.

https://github.com/CasimirKaPazi/minetest_game

License:
See README in the mod folders. If there is no such file for a given mod, its LGPL (e.g. legacy and give_initial_stuff).

As the tile says, this is for developing a better standard game.
I realised that, there are a lot of forks, forking from the celeron-version but and not a common one. People are waiting for celeron to include their improvements into the game. But he can't do all the work, and he don't has to.
So this is going another way. It is intended to be one major thing everyone can improve.

I don't know how to open the fork for everyone, so I'll give editing permission for everyone who wants.

Some guidelines (no rules):
- keep it simple (everything else can be added with mods)
- not to much bugs (That's the reason why I removed a lot of things PilzAdam added - even though I like the tnt)
- keep talking (If you don't know if you should change something, just ask what others think)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

There's an error in the sapling growth I would like to fix. My plan was to fix it and submit a patch, but it would be great to be able to submit it to your version as well. Do you happen to know where the sapling growth code is kept? I've tried to find it to no avail. If not, I'll ask around.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

If you are "0gb-us" you now can edit it. But I don't know where the code is you are searching for.

p.s. I added a lot of other names as well.
Last edited by Casimir on Wed Oct 24, 2012 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Why did I get push access to your current REPO?

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Casimir wrote:If you are "0gb-us" you now can edit it. But I don't know where the code is you are searching for.

p.s. I added a lot of other names as well.
On Github? Yeah, that's probably me. I don't know anyone else with a wacky name similar to mine. Some sites have naming rules that prevent me from using my usual name, such as rules against using dots, so I switch to an underscore, or rules against using dots AND underscores, so I use a dash. Some sites don't like that my name starts with a digit either. So if you see any 0gb.us, 0gb_us, 0gb-us, 0gbus, us.0gb, us_0gb, us-0gb, us0gb, et ceteras around the web, chances are they are probably me.

Hmm. I'll keep looking then. That bug is a security risk. Not security as in computer security, but if you have a locked chest, someone can plant a tree beneath it, and it will grow, destroying your locked chest, the allegedly only safe block in the game. I wouldn't be sure that's a glitch, but when a chest, locked chest, or furnace is "eaten" by a tree, the tree keeps it's meta data, taking on it's properties. For example, you can get a tree that you can stash things in, or a tree that cooks iron. Once the tree is harvested however, all items inside are lost, and anyone can harvest a locked tree chest, they don't have to be the owner. Surely an error, and I know I can fix it if I can find the code. I just have to make trees fail to grow if there are not four units of air above them.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

Jordach wrote:Why did I get push access to your current REPO?
Why not? I gave it to everyone found in this list. If you don't want it I'll remove you.

@ 0gb.us
Found it. https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/b ... mapgen.cpp It seems that there are still some things that have to be translated into lua.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Casimir wrote:@ 0gb.us
Found it. https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/b ... mapgen.cpp It seems that there are still some things that have to be translated into lua.
Thank you so much for finding that! No wonder I couldn't find it in Lua, even with a fairly good idea what I was looking for. I guess that means I need to build two patches: One in C++ to submit to the development team, and one in Lua to use with the current version. This could take a bit of time, but I'm on it.

EDIT: It looks like that's not the file I need. It defines the creation of trees, but I need the one that tells the game to turn saplings into trees, and that file doesn’t even mention saplings. Basically, I plan to prevent saplings from growing if they don't have four blocks of air above them, which will prevent them from eating other blocks, such as locked chests.

EDIT: Never mind. It looks like I can make it work from that file, just not the way I had imagined it. Also, I can't figure out how the Lua is interacting with the C++, so I can't make a Lua patch yet, only a C++ patch. There must be a way though. The saplings are defined in the Lua, so there must be something in the Lua specifying that the sapling needs to be replaced using the C++ function. That is, unless there is some sort of node-specific hack involved in the C++, but I like to think that sort of thing doesn't happen in open source projects such as this.

I'll build the C++ patch, then keep looking.

EDIT: This should be my final edit. I just realized that altering the tree generation in that file will prevent trees from spawning correctly during map generation. Map generated trees can eat whatever they want, that's not the problem. It's like those nodes never existed. It's only trees generated by saplings, trees planted by the player, that are the problem.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Fri Oct 26, 2012 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

What is done so far:
- upside-down stairs and slaps (crafting: normal stuff ---> upside-down stuff)
- sounds by Mito551 (not all of them)
- growing mod
- some changes for fire
- better looking water
- lot of changes for farming
- horizontal tree-nodes (crafting: two normal tree beside each other, backwardscrafting: two horizontal trees on top of each other)
- tree-nodes (and horizontal) can be cooked to coal
- some bugfixes
Plus the stuff in PilzAdams game.
Last edited by Casimir on Sun Nov 04, 2012 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

i would suggest replacing tnt mod with nuke. it works better, as i see it. smoother, i thiink

EDIT:
and that:

Code: Select all

23:27:12: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
23:27:12: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
23:27:12: ERROR[main]: E:\Dropbox\minetest-0.4.3-25cf375-win32\bin\..\games\minetest_game-master\mods\farming\init.lua:
23:27:12: ERROR[main]: cannot open E:\Dropbox\minetest-0.4.3-25cf375-win32\bin\..\games\minetest_game-master\mods\farming/papyrus.lua: No such file or directory
23:27:12: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
23:27:12: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
23:27:12: ERROR[main]:     ...\..\games\minetest_game-master\mods\farming\init.lua:203: in main chunk
23:27:12: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
you forgot to put that in, didn't you? :)
Last edited by Mito551 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Mito551 wrote:i would suggest replacing tnt mod with nuke. it works better, as i see it. smoother, i thiink
Absolutly not. The very big nukes in the nuke mod slow down minetest a lot.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

i mean the code itself! oh, it's hard to explain :(

Casimir

by Casimir » Post

@ Mito551
Problem is fixed.

I'll try the nuke mod. But you can add it by your self if you thing it is better.