3D meshes for players and creatures [Models are now upstream!]

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:Important update: I was just able to get a skeletal mesh with looping animation to render (not controlled by the code yet). b3d would not work, so I'm going with the x format (DirectX). Blender has a native exporter for it, and Irrlicht supports it natively as well, so it's all good. This means the next part is getting working on the code to specify animation ranges. I might make a video if I find a working way to record my screen under Linux.
Bandicam works in Wine.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Use ffmpeg (commandline -- not that hard to use though) or gtk-RecordMyDesktop (GUI).

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Thank you. I have began working on the animation code and LUA API for it. Animations are very easy to set in Irrlicht and it's only a matter of how to implement it best in the code, part of it should be done today. Another very useful resource I'm working with:

http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.ph ... tionSystem

I'll be implementing animation smoothing / blending, and joint animations too apart from frame animations so the head can be oriented up or down based on where the player is looking. Biggest issue is I don't have enough LUA hooks to determine when the player is walking (and in what direction), when he's mining, etc. I'll need to make do with what I have and maybe implement more LUA hooks later on.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

4am update, didn't wanna leave until finishing more code. Animations are now possible via the LUA API. You can set a start and end frame, the animation speed, and even enable animation blending for smooth transitions (though it's glitching with my test model). LUA code for bone animations was also added but is not functional yet, getting to it tomorrow. Once animations are finished, the last feature on my list are attachments, so players can hold items in their hands that are visible for others.

https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minetest/tree/models

https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minete ... ree/models
Last edited by MirceaKitsune on Fri Oct 26, 2012 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Oh wow! Entity parenting is the only thing left that's really needed by a lot of mods. The carts mod can finally smoothly transport players, players can hold items in their hands, mobs can have heads that can look independently of the body, Mesecons pistons can animate pushing blocks, etc.

That is truly very impressive.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

can there be pls a compiled version for testing for those ppl how have some probs to do it themselves..
please please please
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

The head will already be able to look independently of the body using joint overrides (code positioning of bones). Parenting will however be useful for players holding items. Sadly both things will be tricky to implement, but I'm getting on it right now.

I can only send the compiled binaries for Linux... in my case it's compiled on openSUSE. If that helps I can put them in an archive later and send.

tkerwel

by tkerwel » Post

MirceaKitsune wrote:The head will already be able to look independently of the body using joint overrides (code positioning of bones). Parenting will however be useful for players holding items. Sadly both things will be tricky to implement, but I'm getting on it right now.

I can only send the compiled binaries for Linux... in my case it's compiled on openSUSE. If that helps I can put them in an archive later and send.
maybe somebody else can complie this and provide version for windows/ubuntu etc...

its realy amazing what kind of progress you are doing, i wish some of this features could get into the original code of minetest. for my opinion this would be a big progress for animation
++++ Kung walang tiyaga, walang nilaga. ++++

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

tkerwel wrote:
MirceaKitsune wrote:The head will already be able to look independently of the body using joint overrides (code positioning of bones). Parenting will however be useful for players holding items. Sadly both things will be tricky to implement, but I'm getting on it right now.

maybe somebody else can complie this and provide version for windows/ubuntu etc...

its realy amazing what kind of progress you are doing, i wish some of this features could get into the original code of minetest. for my opinion this would be a big progress for animation
talk to Sfan5 on irc, he can complie it in no time :)

mito551-guest

by mito551-guest » Post

i compiled it on ubuntu but i still get the textures. default ones. what am i doing wrong?

jin_xi

by jin_xi » Post

you also need to clone minetest_game from same github into games folder

mito551-guest

by mito551-guest » Post

oh, ok, thx!

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

it really works :) nice!
looking forward to seeing this in mainstream ;)

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Alright, I've been working for another full day on this code. There is some good news and some bad news.

The bad news is that several features are either not implemented yet or being buggy and not working. Although I might make changes to the code, I've reached the amount of knowledge and energy I have to continue, and from this point require help from other developers. If no one offers there's a high chance this might not get fully finished... instructions on what I need further below.

The good news is that the basics work and are finished. Objects can be set to nodes which can be animated from LUA, and there should be enough LUA hooks to get a player walk and mine animation at least. For this reason I might begin working on a player model soon, which will be rigged animated and textured. The .blend source will of course be available in GIT as well, so anyone can edit the model later on. But I need to see where the rest of the code is going before I get to this.

Issues list:

This is a list with the things left to do, either because they're not implemented or are buggy. They are things I can't figure out on my own, and without help on them I might not be able to continue. If anyone is familiar with the MineTest code (both the C and lua part) any help is greatly appreciated.

* Attachment system not implemented:

- Bug: I could not implement the attachment system so far, which aims to allow attaching objects to other objects on skeletal bones (so players can visibly hold items for example).

- Cause: I don't know how to network (serialize or send via genericobject) the object reference of the parent we're attaching to. Therefore I have no way in client_cao.cpp to know what we're attaching on. I don't know if there are other issues past that.

- Code: The framework for the attachment system is done, but no data goes through it. See how setAnimations or setBonePosRot are done for info on what to add (they're typically above the setAnimations framework in each file). The function in which the effect will be applied is content_cao.cpp line 1194: void updateAttachment() Also, a very useful reference on how it seems attachments should be done with Irrlicht: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... php?t=7514

* Bone positioning crashes the client at render time:

- Bug: If attempting to change the position or rotation of a skeletal bone, the MineTest client crashes when looking at the model.

- Cause: Unknown, normally it should work. The console doesn't say a lot so GDB might be needed.

- Code: The lua call to set bone origin / rotation is of the form: obj:set_bone_posrot("bone", {x=0,y=0,z=0}, {x=0,y=0,z=0}) The C++ lines which set this are content_cao.cpp lines 1188 and 1189, bone->setPosition(bone_pos); and bone->setRotation(bone_rot);

* Material colors not working:

- Bug: I implemented a feature which should allow setting the color of each material, including on sprites and cubes. Although it should be fully implemented, it doesn't work in practice, and neither material alpha or color are affected.

- Cause: Irrlicht doesn't have a lot of ways to change the color of a material (just the full mesh, but not materials which is what I want it to do). The current method I left in the code requires objects to be lit, which is not the case with MineTest's lighting system. I believe an Irrlicht alternative of sorts needs to be found, or a change to the lighting system must be done.

- Code: In lua, when doing obj:set_properties, add the following property to change the color of a material (works the same way as textures): colors = {{255, 255, 255, 255}, } The C++ code is located in various places around the content_cao.cpp file. Look where m_prop.colors is used in this file.

* Animation blending not working:

- Bug: If blending is enabled on an animation, the model no longer animates. It stays stuck at the first frame and its normals also appear to become flipped (mesh is rendered inside out).

- Cause: Unknown. Might be an Irrlicht problem or an issue with the object render settings in MineTest.

- Code: In the animation LUA command (eg: obj:set_animations({x=1, y=50}, 35, 0) ) the last parameter represents blending. The issue occurs when that value is greater than 0. The C++ line which sets it is contant_cao.cpp, line 1175: m_animated_meshnode->setTransitionTime(m_frame_blend);

End of list

I'm asking for anyone who's willing to look into this and help fix the four remaining issues. You are free to fork my GIT repositories on github and work on your own versions, I can look at them and merge them to mine as soon as they're ready. If you're unsure about something ask anytime, I'd rather functionality is done in the same way as the working code if possible. If you can't use github, even sending a GIT diff would help if you find solutions. My GIT branches are:

Code branch: https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minetest/tree/models
Game branch: https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minete ... ree/models

To look at the code and compare it to existing MineTest (if you can't use GIT this makes it easy to see my changes):

Code branch: https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minete ... are/models
Game branch: https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minete ... are/models

Irrlicht documentation is available here: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/ Almost all model settings use the Irrlicht functions so those are very important. I hope someone will volunteer and maybe in the next days we will finish this code, I can work on making a player model then :)

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Another update with more good news and bad news about attachments. Good news is that I was able to figure out how to identify the parent object client-side, using the same Id as the server. I added that to the animation framework and completed it... now I just need to finish the code detecting bone location to set origin and rotation to that.

Bad news is that I just discovered something obvious: Although object entities and their position exist on both the client and server, the animated model is client-side. That means I have to take a choice (as far as the code is concerned): If I attach server-side, the server knows of the attachment's position / rotation and things like punching the attachment or reading its real location with LUA are possible. However, the server does not know of the model, and therefore can't tell where the position of a skeletal bone at a certain animation frame is. If I attach client-side instead, I can tell where the position of any skeletal bone on the parent is, at a certain animation frame of the parent model. But the server doesn't know where the attachment is being moved, so it becomes only a visual effect on clients. Players for instance cannot be attached to minecarts this way... others would see them as such but the player in cause wouldn't even notice a difference, because on the server he's still in the same spot.

So I'm going to take the least painful approach. The attachment will always be attached server-side to its parent, and copy its origin and rotation. However, if skeletal animation is also enabled, then in the client setting it to that bone. In this case the server sees the attachment at the same origin as its parent, but the client will show it on the specified bone (only as a visual effect). It's sadly the only way I can think of, so I'll see how this works out.

In the meantime, feel free to look at the other bugs. I'm still far from solving these, and it might be some time until attachments will be fully working.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

It seems to me that with a bit of server side math, it would be possible to use the client side attachment and apply the transformation matrices to the attached object to get its current position.

But then again, I'm not sure how useful getting the world coordinates of an animated bone is. In my opinion, server side attachment is a great solution.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Temperest wrote:It seems to me that with a bit of server side math, it would be possible to use the client side attachment and apply the transformation matrices to the attached object to get its current position.

But then again, I'm not sure how useful getting the world coordinates of an animated bone is. In my opinion, server side attachment is a great solution.
No. Because when multiple players are connected to one server, each client might be seeing their own version of an animated model. The server wouldn't know which one to get. Most gentle way is copying object origin and rotation server-side, and if a bone attachment is set then send the message to the client. A parent's bone modifier shouldn't position the model too far away from the origin of the parent, so no one should normally feel or notice any difference (attachments will likely be made un-clickable either way for other reasons too).

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Today I managed to get *server side* attachments working. Only issue there is that when a player is attached, he will not notice a difference and be able to walk around as usual, but others see him fine. That's probably because the player's client needs to read camera position from the server while he's is attached, not the other way around. Note that you won't see attachments working because I disabled networking their position (they'll be attached client-side so there's no need to waste bandwidth). I tested them and their server position is updated properly.

Client side attachments are still not functional because I've not found a way to implement them. I am however sending all needed data and have the function that handles them... just need a few lines of code to do the attaching of our object to its parent (via Irrlicht). The empty function contains a code comment explaining what needs to be done in detail, as well as the functions (even links to what I used). If anyone with a bit more knowledge in MineTest and Irrlicht could look into it, a solution can likely be found. If you wish to try and help, read the comment in client_cao.cpp line 1214, void updateAttachments(). I'll also be quoting it here:

Code: Select all

// REMAINING ATTACHMENT ISSUES:
        // We get to this function when the object is an attachment that needs to
        // be attached to its parent. If a bone is set we attach it to that skeletal
        // bone, otherwise just to the object's origin. Attachments should not copy parent
        // position as that's laggy... instead the Irrlicht function(s) to attach should
        // be used. If the parent object is NULL that means this object should be detached.
        // This function is only called whenever a GENERIC_CMD_SET_ATTACHMENT message is received.

// We already attach our entity on the server too (copy position). Reason we attach
        // to the client as well is first of all lag. The server sends the position
        // of the child separately than that of the parent, so even on localhost
        // you'd see the child lagging behind. Models are also client-side, so this is
        // needed to read bone data and attach to joints.

// Functions:
        // - m_attachment_parent is ClientActiveObject* for the parent entity.
        // - m_attachment_bone is std::string of the bone, "" means none.
        // - m_attachment_position is v3f and represents the position offset of the attachment.
        // - m_attachment_rotation is v3f and represents the rotation offset of the attachment.

// Implementation information:
        // From what I know, we need to get the AnimatedMeshSceneNode of m_attachment_parent then
        // use parent_node->addChild(m_animated_meshnode) for position attachment. For skeletal
        // attachment I don't know yet. Same must be used to detach when a NULL parent is received.

//Useful links:
        // http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7514
        // http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.php?n=Main.HowToUseTheNewAnimationSystem
        // http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questions/27363/finding-the-endpoint-of-a-named-bone-in-irrlicht
        // Irrlicht documentation: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/docu/
GIT branch for code: https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minetest/tree/models
GIT branch for game: https://github.com/MirceaKitsune/minete ... ree/models

If you have any knowledge in the code please take some time to look at this. I tried nailing it down as closely as possible so anyone can understand what I have so far and what's left. I'm learning both C++ and the MineTest code as I go, so I can't do everything on my own. If you want 3D players to happen I will require help with the last touches on this code, and especially testing after.

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

now make player skins. client-based, sent to server. :D
Meow.

That is all.

Dragonop
GitHub: Dragonop
IRC: Dragonop
In-game: Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

what is the program wheresn't you use to made 3D things?

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

GloopMaster wrote:now make player skins. client-based, sent to server. :D
Not something I'll be doing. It would require a reverse file stream first of all, which is beyond any of my abilities to code. Sending stuff from a client to the server can also be risky and make griefing more easy. I also don't see a point in allowing custom skins if we don't allow custom models too... if this ever gets added I'd like to see it done for both.

As far as the code is concerned however, you could override the model of any entity locally (as models are client-side). So if you have a player model you want everyone to appear as on your end, that would work out. But currently that's not a priority, and there's also no client-side lua API to allow this so it would have to be a setting.
Dragonop wrote:what is the program wheresn't you use to made 3D things?
Not sure what you meant there. Did you mean my 3D modeling program? Only one I know and use is Blender, http://www.blender.org/

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

oh that is exactly what i whant thanks

Dragonop

by Dragonop » Post

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

Dragonop wrote:THIS MOD MAKES PLAYER 3D! http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=897
That is a source patch, not a mod, and can only be applied to a very old version of minetest.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

Menche wrote:
Dragonop wrote:THIS MOD MAKES PLAYER 3D! http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=897
That is a source patch, not a mod, and can only be applied to a very old version of minetest.
That and it uses hard-coded node boxes, not actual meshes with skeletal animations. I think MineCraft does that too, and IMO that's a reason why some detail is very limited. There are a lot of advantages to using rigged models, both in terms of flexibility and features, but I also think this should be faster and better in terms of performance as well.