[Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

[Modpack] Plantlife [rolling release] [plantlife_modpack]

by VanessaE » Post

Vanessa's plantlife modpack

This modpack supplies my Flowers-Plus and Poison Ivy mods, rewritten from scratch to use biome_lib, plus an updated version of the classic Bushes mod (e.g. various kinds of berries), a reduced version of the original Nature mod, called Nature Classic here, Mossmanikin's Ferns and Dryplants mods, the components of his Undergrowth modpack, bas080's vines and rope mod, and my 3D Mushrooms mod.

The purpose of the modpack as a whole is to add various kinds of foliage to the world.

Download: https://github.com/mt-mods/plantlife_mo ... master.zip
...or browse the code: https://github.com/mt-mods/plantlife_modpack

Install: First, you must completely remove any copies of this modpack and/or any individual copies of its components that you may have previously installed. Then, download the above zip, extract it, and put the resultant "VanessaE-plantlife_modpack-xxxxxxx" folder into your Minetest mods folder. It's a good idea to rename the folder to just "plantlife_modpack".

Dependencies: biome_lib, minetest_game from commit 408ee69f or later, and Minetest engine 0.4.16 or later.

Recommends: moretrees

License: LGPL 3.0 for code, CC-by-SA 4.0 for media and everything else.

Important details:

Configuration: By default, all of the components of this modpack are enabled. Any of them can be disabled by simply deleting their respective folders from within the modpack's main folder, as is normally the case with a modpack.

Usage and Crafting Information:
Spoiler
The various spawning and growing code segments from the mods this pack was originally derived from have been rewritten, in some cases from scratch, using recent, more advanced features which the game engine now has to offer. It should be significantly faster than the old mods.

flowers_plus

Seaweed spawns on water or grass close to the shoreline, or on very small stone islands in water. Waterlilies of course spawn on water. and will only do so in pools that are 3 nodes deep or less. Waterlilies only spawn when there at least a significant amount of light. Seaweed will grow only in dimly-lit areas along water-dirt/grass shorelines.

poisonivy

Poison Ivy will spawn on grass and in some cases, on vertical surfaces including trees and jungle trees where they meet the dirt or grass. Ivy previously spawned on the ground will grow taller/thicker or start climbing up the aforementioned vertical surfaces. Poison ivy will not grow near flowers, though flowers may occasionally grow near a previously-spawned poison ivy plant. Poison ivy grows only in the daytime, though it doesn't require a large amount of light. At present, the poison ivy presents little more than an annoyance - since there are no mods to my knowledge that use poison ivy, about all you can do right now is cut the stuff down and either re-plant or aim for the trash can. No damage is done by harvesting them.

bushes_classic

The classic Bushes mod operates similar to how it has in the past, but there are changes in keeping with modern usage of minetest: the bushes are spawned closer together, are tightly perlin-controlled instead of just spawning all over the map, and there are more than just strawberries now - namely there are also blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and gooseberries.

When you dig a bush, the tool you're using determines what you get:
  • Digging by hand or with any tool/object not mentioned below gives you just the fruits, and replaces the bush with a fruitless one. Over time, the fruit will re-grow.
  • Using an axe destroys the bush to get sticks.
  • Using a shovel gives you the whole bush. Replanting a bush causes a fruitless bush to be planted, but as above, it will regrow fruits. Every so often, digging a bush this way will yield two, making it possible to farm them over long periods of time.
  • Using a pickaxe just destroys the bush.
Fruits and fruit pies behave as follows:
  • Sugar or raw fruit heals 1/2 heart.
  • A raw pie heals 2 hearts.
  • A cooked pie heals 3 hearts or it can be split into 6 slices.
  • A slice of pie heals 1/2 heart.
  • A basket of pies heals 9 hearts (and consumes the basket).
If you have the farming mod installed (comes standard with minetest_game), you can encourage the bushes to re-grow their berries considerably faster by planting them on hoed soil.

If you have farming_plus installed, you can use its strawberries in these recipes freely - mix and match with bushes' strawberries as desired (you'll only see one strawberry variety in your inventory, but it's cross-compatible).

nature_classic

Default trees' leaves will, when found within 20 meters of water, gradually turn into leaves with apple blossoms, which will eventually spawn a few apples. Said blossoms will turn back into leaves eventually (regardless of distance to water). Blossom-bearing leaves can be used as fuel.

Unlike the original Nature Pack, this version of the Nature mod does not feature iron trees, nor does it cause default trees to grow. This version produces a much-reduced crop of apples as well, to avoid upsetting the survival aspect of the game.

ferns

This modpack includes a variety of ferns from Mossmanikin's ferns mod: lady-fern (Athyrium), tree ferns (Dicksonia) in small and "giant" sizes, horsetail (Equisetum) in 4 sizes.

For more details about this component of plantlife, including crafting recipes and technical notes, see the original forum thread by Mossmanikin:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6921

dryplants

The dryplants mod modifies the default spread of wild grass, in addition to adding reedmace, junca grass, cattails, and more.

For more details about this component of plantlife, including extensive crafting recipes and technical notes, see the original forum thread by Mossmanikin:
viewtopic.php?id=7143

undergrowth

This modpack incorporates all of the components of Mossmanikin's Undergrowth Modpack, which modifies the landscape around trees to include things like fallen trunks, leaves on grass, random sticks on the ground, moss on trees, small boulders here and there, roots at the bases of trees, small bush-like trees, large sapling-like plants, and a LOT more.

For more details about this component of plantlife, including crafting recipes and technical nodes, see the original forum thread by Mossmanikin:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7207

vines

This modpack will, by way of the vines mod, grow vines on Moretrees' jungle trees and willows, if you have that mod installed also. You can collect these vines using shears, and craft them into ropes and rope "boxes" which will spool out rope as needed to handle deep holes and such.

For more information about that component of this modpack, see the forum thread for it:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2344
Last edited by VanessaE on Sat Dec 14, 2013 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

davidpace

by davidpace » Post

Very Nice! I will download it soon :)
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

+1 nice! Are there sounds?
Last edited by Aqua on Fri Nov 30, 2012 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Hi there ^.~

davidpace

by davidpace » Post

Dunno yet :)
Taking a break for a while see ya guys!

In some of my posts I will be putting "Secret" White sentences.. Tell me if you see them!!! :D

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

+1 Great work VanessaE!

The old flowers mod made the waterlilies spawn even deep into the ocean. Has this been fixed or is there a way to fix it?

Screenshot:
Last edited by kaeza on Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

kaeza: that has not been fixed, but is easily done. I just hadn't thought about it. I'll get to it Real Soon Now™ ;-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

2 minutes into the game:

03:01:23: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error: ...eo/.minetest/mods/minetest/plantlife/plants/init.lua:107: bad argument #1 to 'get_perlin' (number expected, got nil)
03:01:23: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I didn't have this happen on my end after much testing, but I just pushed an update that should fix this - I forgot to check if the perlin seed value was nil and assign a default if found. That's fixed now (defaults to 0).

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Anyone who has this mod should re-download (or git pull, as appropriate). Added a minor fix for seaweed spawning wrong (facedir/param2 wasn't being set). Extended the mod's API slightly and updated API.txt accordingly.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Fixed a few bugs - waterlilies now spawn only in shallow water (3 nodes deep or less), and a bit more densely when they do. Fixed junglegrass turning into dry shrubs when on grass (should only be in the desert). Added a new field to the API to allow one to specify water depth for spawning items on water.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

VanessaE wrote: Fixed a few bugs - waterlilies now spawn only in shallow water (3 nodes deep or less), and a bit more densely when they do. Fixed junglegrass turning into dry shrubs when on grass (should only be in the desert). Added a new field to the API to allow one to specify water depth for spawning items on water.
+1000 Great!
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Dec 03, 2012 01:28, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2012-12-03: Split the flowers, junglegrass, and poisonivy components into separate folders so that this behaves more like a mod pack. To disable a component, delete the appropriate folder. The "plants" folder/mod herein supplies the API and glue used by the others. Also, randomized the spawning algorithm a little, to break up the patterns that were showing up in the spawned plants.

2012-12-04: Another minor update today: I renamed the "plants" module inside this modpack to "plants_lib" and adjusted the other components accordingly. Anyone who is using the plants module directly, just adjust your depends.txt to match. Anyone getting to it via the flowers mod (e.g. nature pack prior to v1.0.0) will need no changes.

Spots

by Spots » Post

having an issue with the dandelion's the textures are not showing up in the world so it get an odd texture x when i punch the node it goes to my inventory but no texture just an empty spot i have to highlight it to see what it is any ideas

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This is a bug in the client/engine. Others have had the same issue with even the default items in the game. I am not sure of the cause. Perhaps disable your texture atlas and make sure you're not using any other programs that occupy a lot of video memory.

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Good mod, thanks.
For my own use i added a recipe to craft 4 cotton into white wool, and made cotton plants drop 4 cotton.

Code: Select all

minetest.register_craft({
    output = "flowers:cotton 4",
    recipe ={
    {"flowers:flower_cotton"},
    }
})

minetest.register_craft( {
    output = "wool:white",
    recipe = {
            { "flowers:cotton", "flowers:cotton"},
            { "flowers:cotton", "flowers:cotton"}
    },
})

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I had considered a recipe like that, but wasn't sure whether to do that or not.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I have a cactus for your flower-pots.

By the way, minecraft added pots too. Long time after this mod ;)

dama0404

by dama0404 » Post

Sorry, now the images will show up ^^
---------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

I'm having some trouble with some flowers.
Here the prints.
Please, help!
I craft them but it doesn't appear in my inventory.
Thanks.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/fF_sNl6ILqzQ5BBCmNj0JXbppiaAUFoNxiPUCyz2BoMARnrWTN-LSImGcyd-04At_aeCD-SIMIA
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/j5_OZ4u_gfp80T2lNFGQiMqTGVyJ4PgTQaJw1nTr-Wg7rH0Q9qvB6TvEJUcuXMom3CfHUfA5yx4
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/A9KqIUVmsunFDA3HO8EdTYUbKRxlJ6d02m75bOvBEF0op7EPYxCp0bh1I23OXLRtA2LQPCZlLj4
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/5lLTwbWyC7hWGDQb5d63mA1fhUjy2psIsPN1fFNGBfWpgK1EJlmShv0M5Cx162EXAQMebDRjC8k
Last edited by dama0404 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Your images do not show up for me. It appears you need to give permission on your google docs page to let others see them.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I don't know if that moreflowers mod will be worked on in the future (the one with the sunflowers.) If it won't be, will a version of it be made for this mod?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It might be possible to convince me to import it into plantlife :-) , but I'll need to take a closer look at it later (particularly the growth patterns of the flowers). Note that a few plants will be dropped that are duplicates of something that already exists.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I do think it would be a good idea to drop the duplicates, and the leftover flowers would have to be made flammable (they would also have to spawn similarly to the manner that yours do.) The mushrooms don't spawn in the caves as much as I would like them too and the brown plants would look nice in the deserts. I left a few suggestions in the topic for the moreflowers mod as well.
Last edited by Inocudom on Sun Jan 06, 2013 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Just downloaded that but can't climb on poison ivy at all...

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

4aiman wrote:Just downloaded that but can't climb on poison ivy at all...
It's poisonous, why would you want to?
Meow.

That is all.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Poison ivy isn't supposed to be climbable - "climbing" means it will grow vertically against a wall.