[Mod] Tunnel Boring Machine [0.4 beta] [tbm]

aldobr

[Mod] Tunnel Boring Machine [0.4 beta] [tbm]

by aldobr » Post

It's a tunnel boring machine, wich IRL digs tunnels and places concrete slabs to reinforce them.

Operation:

Moves forward, breaking everything in front of it. Drops minerals from the stones that it breaks. Places stone blocks below it to make bridges. Places torches every 8th node to illuminate the tunnel. Places tracks behind automatically. Consumes 1 coal every for every 4 cycles. It refills its cobblestone stack from the cobblestone it breaks, but only if its stack is below 99.

You should put ONLY torches, cobblestone, rail and coal into its inventory.

Do not enable this machine on multiplayer, can be a severe source of grief. Carefull where you dig, the machine won't care about lava.

Version:
0.4 beta

License:
WTFPL

Depends:

Download:
http://ompldr.org/vZ25qbA/tbm.zip

Screenshots:

This is my second mod and the first to have much in the way of logic. I learned a lot about lua programming while doing this thing.
Last edited by aldobr on Tue Dec 11, 2012 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Leroy

by Leroy » Post

Which version of minetest does it work with?
UBUNTU BRO!

cornellius

by cornellius » Post

Can You Make Video To Operate That Thankyou
All Humans Need Is Forgiveness, God Is The First One Who Forgive All Humans So Humans Must Forgive Other Humans

Leroy

by Leroy » Post

+1 But I dont know how to operate.
UBUNTU BRO!

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Craft:

ironingot ironpickaxe ironingot
ironingot furnace ironingot
ironingot ironingot ironingot

how to operate:

Place it over the ground. Click into it as if it was a chest, put torches, cobble, rails and coal inside.

It should start operating immediately.

It will go forward in the direction you were looking at when you placed the machine. FORWARD.
Last edited by aldobr on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

Nice!
Hi there ^.~

cornellius

by cornellius » Post

Wow Nice
Last edited by cornellius on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
All Humans Need Is Forgiveness, God Is The First One Who Forgive All Humans So Humans Must Forgive Other Humans

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Cool!

u34

by u34 » Post

nice mod ...

i use the mod item_drop for automatic collection of the material when u walk over the rails...

my minetest version is 0.4.4 from celeron55...
Last edited by u34 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

Any way for it to be like 10 times faster?
Hi there ^.~

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

I just need to adjust the interval parameter on the abm, but my computer is not a good reference. If someone else with a modern computer could tweak it until finding a reasonable speed...

When that machine operates my computer goes down to 9fps :P

its an Athlon XP with only 1GB of RAM and it runs a windows XP OS, the video card is a GeForce nForce 430. Very low end for today.

LorenzoVulcan
GitHub: aegroto

by LorenzoVulcan » Post

Not bad,but you need to reduce ABM's interval.
Developer of the BlockForge 2# Project!
Official thread: http://minetest.net/forum/viewtopic.php ... 290#p54290

GJH105775

by GJH105775 » Post

Cool. +1
Check out my mod xtrablocks, has some different types of marble that you can build with or mine at different depths

I am not here regularly as I just kind of pop in and out. If you want to find me I'll be on quadcopterforum.com helping with multirotor builds and spending other's money haha.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a119/ ... hicons.jpg

snakevenom

by snakevenom » Post

needs to be in technic

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

It does not work at all. it just sits there and does nothing.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

acridstone

by acridstone » Post

12Me21 wrote:It does not work at all. it just sits there and does nothing.
It is the same here. Needs to be updated and maybe put on git?

Kacey

by Kacey » Post

To cross lava and falls, use gravel. have it put down gravel when it is above air or liquids
on a scale of 1 to 10 i am OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

acridstone wrote:
12Me21 wrote:It does not work at all. it just sits there and does nothing.
It is the same here. Needs to be updated and maybe put on git?
However an annoying issue is when The tunnel is bored between two world on generate blocks. It only removes nodes from bottom block.

Except for that, it almost works like advertised. If you put this on github I can contribute to this project more easily. This mod can be so much more!

Possible features:
* Drill wears-out.
* Mined materials are gathered in "chest like node".
* Nodebox change so it looks more like a tbm.
Edit:
* Sounds
* Drilling animation (so you know if it's working or not
* On and off swith
Last edited by Bas080 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

acridstone

by acridstone » Post

please put on git

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

I dont have git on my computer and i dont know how to use git anyway...

The license is WTFPL, so anyone can do watever it wants to do with the code... ;)

I dont intend to mantain that mod anymore because there are more pressing things now in my real life (i am taking a course in eletromecanic that is pretty hard).

tbillon2003

by tbillon2003 » Post

in principle i like this mod but there are afew things that should be altered, and maybe they will reduce said havoc

in your code you have the tbm drop and item for anything thats not cobble, which means it drops 9 empty items for default:stone which is bad and really shouldnt be done becasue it causes stack overflows in the game.

this part of your code i changed and now it really only drops items that should be dropped >>>

Code: Select all

if current.name ~= "default:cobble" and current.name ~= "default:stone" and current.name ~= "default:sand" and current.name ~= "default:gravel" then   
                    local dropped = ItemStack({name=current.name}):get_definition().drop
                    local stack = ItemStack(dropped)
                                        local obj = minetest.env:add_entity(bpos, "__builtin:item")
                                        obj:get_luaentity():set_item(stack:to_string())
                    end
                                --end
                   minetest.env:dig_node(bpos)

end
the item drop thing really didnt need a function becasue its only called in one place, so putting it in a function isnt really nes. and i changed it to drop the item that it finds in the spot that it was found and thanks to gravity this places it on the ground, which fixed another problem i found with this code in that it would eat up a wall with 4 coal and i would only get one. any how just suggestions i have used this extensively and it went from crashing my server to working pretty well. im not familiar with how to code for this scripting language, give me a few more days and i will ahve found a better way to rule out all default:{terrain type} because really if it doesnt have an object you want in it it should be excluded from dropping anything :) thanks for the code start:)

and i know you said you dont want to maintain the mod but it also has some sort of glitch where every few blocks it leavs and arch see attached image. Image
Last edited by tbillon2003 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

tbillon2003

by tbillon2003 » Post

building i made with tunnel boring machine :)

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Nice Place should have it as map. umm How do I make it work. nvm found out I am doing wrong I put in, stone.
tbillon2003 wrote:building i made with tunnel boring machine :)
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Tue Apr 02, 2013 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

tbillon2003

by tbillon2003 » Post

Nice Place should have it as map. umm How do I make it work. nvm found out I am doing wrong I put in, stone.
have it in a map? whats that mean, ive only been playing this game for a couple days. that is just tha back of my "mine" as it where i have a workshop and all sorts of things. i am working on setting up a server and weeding through all the mods. :)

as for making the tbm work it is persnikity

sometimes you have to set it and break it a couple times.

i have been over the code a few times but like i say ive never heard of lua until now, and its my first xperiance, i may re release this code as a different tbm that ideally has a bore size variable instead of the default 4x3 bore that it does now. but i dont understand how the whole offsets and such work. my tbm code right now is severly scaled back.

Also made sense of the part that the TBM misses, it is where the abm (i get that right?) is too fat way from the user the TBM embeds itself in the wall and then does not break the blocks and the hole at the bottom is where the tbm replaced itself with what eve block was there... is there a way to detect when the abm is too far from the user? this would solve this glitch. tell the TBM to stop before its too far away.

another cool image for you, 9 TBMS 600 units deep>>> L@@K at all that ore :)

better than that would be for the tbm to break bricks before it moves forward. let me look at this, i cant remeber if it does it that way or if it moves forward first.
Last edited by tbillon2003 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

tbillon2003

by tbillon2003 » Post

working on a real texture for it, this is just the basic i am gonna jump off the web here at the library for the day wanted to post what i got so far. textures for this cube is harder than spriting. JMHO