[POLL] What do you think about mesecons?

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

I'd like to have more higher-level cirquits in the way of home automation - sensors, microcontrollers and affectors connected with databusses and equipped with address decoders
Coming soon...

@Nore: I personally don't think lots of people need a change of that. I suggest you to just change the overheat time yourself.
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I think a too idea would be to make the mesecon wires like the wires in the technical mod. NP annoying and ugly things that stick pout from the wall. I LOVE IT though. Keep up the good work.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Doc

by Doc » Post

I have had bugs with the insulated T wires, and the Insulated Crossing in some of my compact circuits. I would fix that bug/make it more stable. Other than that, I would make a special insulated wire that goes vertically, and an insulated wire that curves right.
Last edited by Doc on Fri Dec 14, 2012 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

You could make mesecon wires look like a dot and when the is a wire next to it the wires connect.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

I think databusses and adress decoders are a very good idea: it could be useful for very compact circuits. I also think that a turning insulated wire would be useful (instead of using a T-junction)

About the last version: I had a crash by turning on a mesecon next to a sticky movestone...

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I have a bug that when sand or gravel falls on a wire it wants to dig the wire but can't. Could you make the wires break when gravel or sand falls on it.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Doc

by Doc » Post

Nore wrote:I think databusses and adress decoders are a very good idea: it could be useful for very compact circuits.
I just use microcontrollers for this, and its about as compact as you need.

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

Well, I thought something like passing something like 16 different channels in a single cable node (you don't have to make 16 wires).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Yes, like Nore said. One line (maybe even wireless) that contains 8 or 16 wires. Microcontrollers are very good and useful, but they only have 4 IO-Ports. That means it takes either complex circuits or a clock and a serial bus (complex in itshelf). If you are intrested in low-level and want to optimize your cirquit using wires, there is no reason why not to. But if the wires are not the important thing and it's about reading sensors and reacting to them it becomes easier when using a higher level of abstraction.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Doc

by Doc » Post

Yeah, but part of it is the good feeling of designing a ram module, and competing over which design is best! I came up with a really compact one that can be expanded as much as you want, except that bugs with the wire are messing it up.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

You can use the vertical stacking method to make nice and compact circuits:

(8 bit ripple carry adder)

For more complex combinatoric circuits, you can use some simple transformations to get the optimal partitioning of the gates into microcontrollers. But that somewhat ruins the fun, in my opinion :P.
Last edited by Temperest on Sat Dec 15, 2012 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

You (Jeija) should add when there is an arrangement like this (viewed from side)
mesecon,block
block, mesecon
that the mesecons don't connect, can be used to make super fast oscillators for example.
Last edited by VoidLord on Sat Jun 15, 2013 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

The fastest oscillator you can make is by connecting the output of a not gate to its input...

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

Yeah, but that crashes real bad, wo I mean w/ a sticky piston or something.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

Do you use the latest version of mesecons? And it is possible to push/pull wires with sticky pistons... If this was added, a lot of circuits would not work anymore.

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

Yes, No pushing mesecons w/a sticky piston doesn't work. That is honestly just too bad, both that this feature can't be implemented and what I just said.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

VoidLord wrote:Yes, No pushing mesecons w/a sticky piston doesn't work. That is honestly just too bad, both that this feature can't be implemented and what I just said.
-_- Yes it does work. I just got the latest version and it works.
Back from the dead!

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

Well I have the latest version too; I just tested it and the mesecons don't join back up when the sticky piston retracts.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

They don't reconnect visually, but electrically, they do. If you don't like that, use insulated mesecons.

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

No, they won't connect electrically even when the mesecon is connected back to the piston itself (if it did work then there would be some crazy fast oscillations).
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Surely you're not using the latest git pull of mesecons then - the effects described by others here work perfectly for me as well - there are a number of odd, unusual, or just complex circuits on my server that work fine.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

I just re-downloaded the mod and, frankly, nothin doin'.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

Wait! Someone I was talking to on another blog provided me with the correct version of mesecons (I thought the latest version was on the front page for mesecons) and somehow it still didn't work.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0

Nore
Developer

by Nore » Post

That should soon be fixed... However, you should try again to connect a not gate to its input. It will work as well, and cause less lag since you will not update tons of nodes.

VoidLord

by VoidLord » Post

I think you mean w/a delayer. Oh well, just another one of those things that will (hopefully) get fixed next version.
</randomtextcrap>
</forumposthing>
</body>
</html>
/0