Crashes before starting up?

For people working on the C++ code.
CloudVII

Crashes before starting up?

by CloudVII » Post

So, I'm new here and just downloaded Minetest the other day, and I've ran into a problem I need help with.

I've managed to compile and build version 4.4.0(and while doing so, I did not see any errors) in Cmake and MinGW. but I've ran into a problem: when I go and start minetest.exe, the console opens up for a brief second(albeit empty) then tells me that minetest.exe has stopped working.
I have tried rebuilding and compiling, but to no avail.
I also followed directions in the readme to the tee.
It should also be noted that the pre-built version works on my PC.

So I'm not sure what's wrong. :\
Maybe I just completely missed something?

Oh, I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit if that's of use.

All and any help would be extremely appreciated!

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Maybe your MinGW is broken in some way or you have the wrong versions of the game's dependencies.
BTW Welcome to the forums! And be careful with that Buster Sword of yours ;)
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

CloudVII

by CloudVII » Post

I don't think so, I did a clean install and all(In fact I reinstalled it twice just to be sure) for minGW, and I got the exact versions of each dependency. :\

Oh, thanks!
And heh, not many people generally understand my username(even though it's semi obvious). :D

the tao of badass

by the tao of badass » Post

Thanks.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Post

yo 7th cloud, version 1.0.0 isnt even out yet, and yot compiled version 4.4.0? DA FUQ
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

CloudVII wrote:I don't think so, I did a clean install and all(In fact I reinstalled it twice just to be sure) for minGW, and I got the exact versions of each dependency. :\

Oh, thanks!
And heh, not many people generally understand my username(even though it's semi obvious). :D
Do you get any output in the console? Try running Minetest from the Command Prompt instead of double clicking the EXE file; that should keep the console open until you exit cmd.exe

If no output is shown, try this:
- Delete <minetest>\debug.txt
- Start the game from the command prompt by using the --verbose command line option.
- As soon as it crashes, upload the <minetest>\debug.txt file to a site like ompldr, or use a pastebin. If it's not too long you can post the file directly here.
- Share the upload/pastebin link. We will take a look at it.

P.S: You're welcome! I'm also a FF lover :D
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Dec 26, 2012 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Post

just asking, does FF mean French Fries?
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

CloudVII

by CloudVII » Post

Ragnar wrote:yo 7th cloud, version 1.0.0 isnt even out yet, and yot compiled version 4.4.0? DA FUQ
Whoops, wrote it backwards, meant 0.4.4 :P
kaeza wrote:Do you get any output in the console? Try running Minetest from the Command Prompt instead of double clicking the EXE file; that should keep the console open until you exit cmd.exe

- Start the game from the command prompt by using the --verbose command line option.
- As soon as it crashes, upload the <minetest>\debug.txt file to a site like ompldr, or use a pastebin. If it's not too long you can post the file directly here.

Did as you said but no output is shown and I don't get a debug.txt file. :\
Shall I upload my build/compile for you all to try?

Also, cool, not many of my friends are quite as into FF as I. :D

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

CloudVII wrote:
Ragnar wrote:yo 7th cloud, version 1.0.0 isnt even out yet, and yot compiled version 4.4.0? DA FUQ
Whoops, wrote it backwards, meant 0.4.4 :P
kaeza wrote:Do you get any output in the console? Try running Minetest from the Command Prompt instead of double clicking the EXE file; that should keep the console open until you exit cmd.exe

Did as you said but no output is shown and I don't get a debug.txt file. :\
Shall I upload my build/compile for you all to try?

Also, cool, not many of my friends are quite as into FF as I. :D
I may try it.
Ragnar wrote:just asking, does FF mean French Fries?
FYI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_Strife

CloudVII

by CloudVII » Post

Here's the link to my build:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fyl1p2bkfbe6fwh

Left everything as it was. Maybe I misplaced a file somewhere or something?

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Oh crap! I need to pay more attention. I'm running in 32 bits, so I can't test it for you. Feel free to join the #minetest IRC channel, there may be someone that can help you.

Sorry.

CloudVII

by CloudVII » Post

Alright, thanks.

Oh, It's fine. :D

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Are you compiling a release build or debug build? as the debug build runs some additional tests at startup which can sometimes segfault instantly.

Also note if you're compiling a 64bit version of Minetest you need to make sure the dependencies are 64bit (i.e Irrlicht, zlib etc) some of the deps don't come with 64bit compiled versions so you will need to compile them yourself.

If you are compiling a release build then try compiling a debug build and when it crashes don't press cancel, instead wait for the "debug program" button to appear then press that and debug it, that should help tell you the problem.

EDIT: Ah sorry just spotted your link above, I've downloaded it and had a quick look.

Firstly looking at your cmakecache.txt I can see you are indeed compiling a release build and its 32bit so you don't need to worry about compiling the dependencies for 64bit, although according to the cache you haven't linked any dependencies, so I'm not sure how you are actually compiling it in the first place.

I can't run the minetest.exe in the bin folder as its missing some dependencies dll files and also I don't have MinGW so its also saying that the "libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll" is missing (which is part of MinGW) I use MSVS11.

Anyway what I suggest you do is:

#1: Double check you have setup and linked the dependencies in Cmake properly.
#2: Compile a debug build which will help you in figuring out the issue.

EDIT2: Also just as a note, you won't have a debug.txt as its not getting far enough in execution of the game to create one.
Last edited by dannydark on Tue Jan 08, 2013 18:44, edited 1 time in total.