New trees

User avatar
RealBadAngel
Member
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 16:30

New trees

by RealBadAngel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:12

Here goes new trees, made with L-Systems.
Some screenshots:
[img]http://realbadangel.pl/RealAppleTree.png][/img]
[img]http://realbadangel.pl/under_the_tree.png][/img]

and video made when testing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GocjjOLuogk

Simple tools (tree spawners), easy to edit in LUA with 2 examples
http://realbadangel.pl/treegen_tools.zip
More info aviable here: https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/blob/master/doc/lua_api.txt#L1066

And a mod that implements them in a more usual setting:
VanessaE's More Trees: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4394

Note: treegen itself doesnt replace trees in mapgen. It will be used by new mapgen which is in development.

We need more decent models, create some! :)

Some theory on L-systems: http://www.jflap.org/tutorial/lsystem/index.html
and to understand how the yaw/pitch/roll works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_principal_axes take a look at animated airplanes below.
Update 30.12.2012: Treegen is now in the engine, just use latest builds, or compile from git.
Last edited by RealBadAngel on Tue Jan 01, 2013 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
 
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:16

+100
How does this affect lag?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right
 

User avatar
0gb.us
Member
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 01:55
Location: 0gb.us:30000

by 0gb.us » Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:36

Nice. VanessaE told me you were working on this. I can't wait untill it makes it into the stable version.

jojoa1997 wrote:+100
How does this affect lag?


According to VanessaE, it will greatly reduce lag caused by plugins that generate trees. If no such plugins are installed, it should have no effect on lag.
 

User avatar
jojoa1997
Member
 
Posts: 2890
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 05:11
Location: Earth

by jojoa1997 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 04:40

could you take some more pics. I might want this.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35

jojoa1997 wrote:+100
How does this affect lag?

It is written in c++ so its very fast. And the mapgen shouldnt be slower because less trees have to generate if they are big like this.
 

Iqualfragile
Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 22:11

by Iqualfragile » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:36

looks great!
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.
 

User avatar
rinoux
Member
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:15

by rinoux » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45

they looks very very nice !!
 

User avatar
webdesigner97
Member
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 19:16
Location: Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97
 

LazyJ
Member
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:29
Location: Podunk, Nowhere, USA

by LazyJ » Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:06

+1

More forests, more tree varieties, higher mountains, deeper valleys, naturally occurring rivers, streams and waterfalls, etc, etc.

This mod is one more step forward for Minetest. \0/
 

User avatar
Casimir
Member
 
Posts: 1163
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 16:59
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi
 

User avatar
RealBadAngel
Member
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 16:30

by RealBadAngel » Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:39

added link to video made during tests.

LazyJ wrote:+1

More forests, more tree varieties, higher mountains, deeper valleys, naturally occurring rivers, streams and waterfalls, etc, etc.

This mod is one more step forward for Minetest. \0/


This isnt a mod, its a part of the engine, made in c++.
Last edited by RealBadAngel on Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Inocudom
Member
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 01:14
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 16:37

I am not sure how to install or compile this but the trees look very nice. There are even dead trees in the desert (I would consider adding another type of tree that exclusively appears in deserts that has long, eerie branches without leaves on them.)
The comedic value of my videos is how abysmal they are: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5cyeM ... YTfYFlih_A
 

leo_rockway
Member
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 20:37

by leo_rockway » Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:36

I like this a lot.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!
 

tekk
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:44

by tekk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:47

I'm completely against it as it stands. It makes the game prettier when you spawn, but your world becomes ugly later. How many wood blocks are in each tree, roughly? Bear in mind that you have get rid of every wood block to make all of the leaves fall, otherwise it laeves you with just a bunch of floating leaves, which is unpleasant. In addition, clearing out a forest is far less practical, taking minutes with even an axe for each tree, which impedes large building projects. I would like it if it included a good timber mod. Otherwise I can't say it'd improve the game, but in fact make it worse.
Last edited by tekk on Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 00:42

tekk wrote:I'm completely against it as it stands. It makes the game prettier when you spawn, but your world becomes ugly later. How many wood blocks are in each tree, roughly? Bear in mind that you have get rid of every wood block to make all of the leaves fall, otherwise it laeves you with just a bunch of floating leaves, which is unpleasant. In addition, clearing out a forest is far less practical, taking minutes with even an axe for each tree, which impedes large building projects. I would like it if it included a good timber mod. Otherwise I can't say it'd improve the game, but in fact make it worse.

You are wrong.
It adds a new aspect to the gameplay and its acuatually really fun to cut them down.
Statistic for cutting down 1 tree (average height):
  • took 2 in-game days (without night)
  • took nearly 1 steel axe
  • gives 3 stacks wood
  • gives 8 stacks leaves
  • gives 4 stacks leaves
... and a lot of fun!
Last edited by PilzAdam on Fri Dec 28, 2012 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
Neuromancer
Member
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 22:28
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:00

I say we give the new trees a try. They are absolutely gorgeous and add a much greater realism to the game. If they are a real pain to chop down then let someone adapt the timber mod.

I'm not sure about having many if any trees in the desert however. The point of a desert is that it is barren. If you put too much stuff there, it doesn't feel like a real desert anymore.
 

leo_rockway
Member
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 20:37

by leo_rockway » Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:49

Neuromancer wrote:I'm not sure about having many if any trees in the desert however. The point of a desert is that it is barren. If you put too much stuff there, it doesn't feel like a real desert anymore.


They look very pretty, but I agree.

Also, about what tekk said... I agree, but those trees are so pretty!
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!
 

tekk
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:44

by tekk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:55

PilzAdam wrote:You are wrong.
It adds a new aspect to the gameplay and its acuatually really fun to cut them down.
Statistic for cutting down 1 tree (average height):
  • took 2 in-game days (without night)
  • took nearly 1 steel axe
  • gives 3 stacks wood
  • gives 8 stacks leaves
  • gives 4 stacks leaves
... and a lot of fun!


I'd certainly agree that it adds a new aspect to gameplay, but I'm far from a fan of it. Looking at the size, these will take longer to chop down than big trees in minecraft, which I absolutely despise in my tree farms and in any other situation aside from the aesthetic, because they do such a good job of mucking up other growth on top of spending my time. Are you honestly saying that using 2 days of ingame time chopping down a tree was more fun than whatever else you could have been doing?
Last edited by tekk on Fri Dec 28, 2012 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:00

tekk wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:You are wrong.
It adds a new aspect to the gameplay and its acuatually really fun to cut them down.
Statistic for cutting down 1 tree (average height):
  • took 2 in-game days (without night)
  • took nearly 1 steel axe
  • gives 3 stacks wood
  • gives 8 stacks leaves
  • gives 4 stacks leaves
... and a lot of fun!


I'd certainly agree that it adds a new aspect to gameplay, but I'm far from a fan of it. Looking at the size, these will take longer to chop down than big trees in minecraft, which I absolutely despise in my tree farms and in any other situation aside from the aesthetic, because they do such a good job of mucking up other growth on top of spending my time. Are you honestly saying that using 2 days of ingame time chopping down a tree was more fun than whatever else you could have been doing?

Minetest currently has not much gameplay. So I am happy if new things like this are implemented.
 

tekk
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:44

by tekk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:06

PilzAdam wrote:Minetest currently has not much gameplay. So I am happy if new things like this are implemented.

And you couldn't have gotten the same enjoyment by chopping down more than one small tree?
 

User avatar
PilzAdam
Member
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 16:19
Location: Germany
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:32

tekk wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:Minetest currently has not much gameplay. So I am happy if new things like this are implemented.

And you couldn't have gotten the same enjoyment by chopping down more than one small tree?

Did you actually cutted down some of the new trees?
 

tekk
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:44

by tekk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:36

PilzAdam wrote:
tekk wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:Minetest currently has not much gameplay. So I am happy if new things like this are implemented.

And you couldn't have gotten the same enjoyment by chopping down more than one small tree?

Did you actually cutted down some of the new trees?

Not yet, but has there been any balancing done with the wood or anything? doesn't take as long to chop maybe? I'm just using my experience with minecraft here largely.
 

User avatar
RealBadAngel
Member
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 16:30

by RealBadAngel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:53

tekk wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
tekk wrote:And you couldn't have gotten the same enjoyment by chopping down more than one small tree?

Did you actually cutted down some of the new trees?

Not yet, but has there been any balancing done with the wood or anything? doesn't take as long to chop maybe? I'm just using my experience with minecraft here largely.


so choose smaller ones to chop down and leave hundred years old oaks alone :)
 

tekk
New member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 23:44

by tekk » Fri Dec 28, 2012 02:58

RealBadAngel wrote:
tekk wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:Did you actually cutted down some of the new trees?

Not yet, but has there been any balancing done with the wood or anything? doesn't take as long to chop maybe? I'm just using my experience with minecraft here largely.


so choose smaller ones to chop down and leave hundred years old oaks alone :)

Oh, so it leaves normal trees in the game? The video didn't show any of them.
 

User avatar
RealBadAngel
Member
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 16:30

by RealBadAngel » Fri Dec 28, 2012 03:07

tekk wrote:
RealBadAngel wrote:
tekk wrote:Not yet, but has there been any balancing done with the wood or anything? doesn't take as long to chop maybe? I'm just using my experience with minecraft here largely.


so choose smaller ones to chop down and leave hundred years old oaks alone :)

Oh, so it leaves normal trees in the game? The video didn't show any of them.


Then watch again, those sticks around are default trees ;)
Anyway, treegen doesnt replace default trees. It will be used by new mapgen. Video is made with manual placed trees, to show how could the world look like.
Look also at apple tree. Its like 2 nodes higher than default tree. Still too big for ya?
Treegen is able to generate trees of ANY size, from tiny to huge. And ANY designed shape.
Young trees are relatively easy to chop down, in a huge tree you can build a house.
As for farms, make them out of apple trees, not sequoias :P
 

Next

Return to WIP Mods



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest