[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

sapier wrote:@J-Block some hostile mobs are big if you're standing right inside them you may not see them
@tux_peng /spawnmob <modname>:<mobname> x,y,z
e.g. /spawnmob animal_sheep:sheep 0,0,0

1.9.2 has arrived now theres a animated cow walking, standing around and eating

Some info for those of you trying to create models with blender:
1) enable the directx export filter ( it's not enabled by default)
2) make sure any face is part of a vertex group (as soon as you do animation non grouped faces won't be shown anymore)
3) make sure one bone is parenting all others
4) name all vertex groups exactly like a bone
That can't be it. Wouldn't I see the mob before walking inside it? And when I respawn, it continues to attack me, even if I fly away. And the new version doesn't work for me. The game refuses to run and says "mobf" has "unsatisfied dependencies- inventory plus". So I need to install that mod in order to run the new version? I'll stick with the old version that works for me until this is solved.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@J-Block if you don't wanna install inventory plus you can delete mobf_settings instead

You should've seen the mob prior entering thats true. I haven't seen this problem by now is there any way to reproduce it?
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

rinoux wrote:A duck :-)

License: GPL or CC-by-sa
thx rinoux I like the duck, by now mobf still supports 2d mobs and I've been thinking of adding a duck for some time. As soon as I add a duck this model will be in.

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

Make the problem happen again? I'm not sure. I could try. I've noticed a few patterns but they are not solidified:

*Almost always happens at night or when I fly underground.
*I can hear the growling loudly, meaning the mob is close to me.
*In the morning (as I said) I notice fire seemingly coming from me.
*Once or twice I noticed an error message saying a mob was "within solid block, moving. Status: ok". This has led me to believe the mob was attached to me and somehow inside me.

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

Also in worlds that I made before installing the mod, only hostile mobs, gulls, and chickens spawn. I don't ever see other animals. In new ones this isn't true.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@j-block
until recent versions sound was buggy (stero sounds) so positional sound didn't work for some sounds. Mobs affected by it seam to be really near even if not.

There are two ways to get fire, a dm throwing fireballs at you or a boombomb detonating

(most) friendly mobs are not spawning in already created worlds due to lag reducing efforts. Spawn algorithms randomly adding mobs to map create huge load so by default most mobs are only spawned on mapgen.
There's a config parameter enabling spawning in already generated worlds with rare chances. If you install inventory plus you'll have a gui to set those parameters.

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

@sapier
Well, I did what you said with the new version. It worked well at first. Then it froze up, crashed, and the file acted weird. I think I spawned too many animals. I got rid of it. Looks like I'm still going with the old version.
And by fire I mean the vombie fire when they die at day.

I tried installing inventory plus. I t downloaded as a file, not a folder, and so it was incompatible with the game. I tried making a folder for it with the name and everything but the game seemed to refuse it existed and said "no such file or direct" or something along those lines. Leaving it be as a file did nothing as the game ignored it completely.

I will get off in five-ten minutes as it is quite late here.

EDIT: It seems the game refuses to run the version 1.4.6. too. How nice.

From debug text:

Code: Select all

22:35:35: VERBOSE[main]: Loading and running script from C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: ========== ERROR FROM LUA ===========
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from 
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua:
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: cannot open C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf/environments/flight_1.lua: No such file or directory
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: stack traceback:
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     ...win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf/environment.lua:502: in main chunk
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     [C]: in function 'dofile'
22:35:35: ERROR[main]:     ...-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua:41: in main chunk
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: =======END OF ERROR FROM LUA ========
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: Server: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua
22:35:35: INFO[main]: BanManager: saving to C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\worlds\Terra\ipban.txt
22:35:35: ERROR[main]: ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua
I use version 0.4.4.
Last edited by J-Block on Fri Dec 28, 2012 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

I get an error. I spawned a cow to check out the animations, and I get this error:

GenericCAO::AddToScene:Could not load mesh /home/brandon/bin/../mods/minetest/animals/animal_cow/models/cow.x
The file is there, in that location. This is on my server. Version 0.4.4 for client and server.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@J-Block 1.4.x series ain't compatible to 0.4.4 anymore if you wanna use 0.4.4 you'll have to use 1.9.x ... probably I should include inventory plus to modpack to avoid missing dependencys.
EDIT1:
sorry I'd been a little bit to fast to answer, can you check if the file wich is complained about is there at all? Maybe it's same problem as for BrandonReese.

@BrandonReese is there anyithing about steer.x in log too? This file is next to cow.x I'd expect it to fail too.
Wait is this error shown on client or server?
Last edited by sapier on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

sapier wrote:@J-Block 1.4.x series ain't compatible to 0.4.4 anymore if you wanna use 0.4.4 you'll have to use 1.9.x ... probably I should include inventory plus to modpack to avoid missing dependencys.
EDIT1:
sorry I'd been a little bit to fast to answer, can you check if the file wich is complained about is there at all? Maybe it's same problem as for BrandonReese.

@BrandonReese is there anyithing about steer.x in log too? This file is next to cow.x I'd expect it to fail too.
I spawned the cow using spawnentity so there are no steers on my map that I know of. The error shows up in the chat area on my client. I don't see an error in my server log.

Same error if I spawn a steer. I'm getting the latest from github and recompiling to see if that's the problem.

BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

Looks like recompiling the latest version worked.

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

sapier wrote:@J-Block 1.4.x series ain't compatible to 0.4.4 anymore if you wanna use 0.4.4 you'll have to use 1.9.x ... probably I should include inventory plus to modpack to avoid missing dependencys.
EDIT1:

From debug text:

22:50:08: VERBOSE[main]: error_message = ModError: Failed to load and run C:\Users\Jason\Documents\minetest-0.4.4-win32\minetest-0.4.4-win32\bin\..\mods\minetest\mobf\mobf\init.lua
So what should I do about the inventory plus problem?

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm running 1.4.x version, not 1.9.x.

EDIT 2: I switched out the old version for the new one. It just made things worse. My sounds were messed up, more invisible mobs, and there were DM's everywhere!! To top it off the game crashed. I can't use your mob anymore unless these problems are fixed, as it is too hard to survive and it destroys my game.

EDIT 3: I downloaded version 1.9.0 just to see, and surprisingly it works fine. The invisible mob bug is less common, and the game didn't crash. The problem was not the mod, but how it affected other things in the game:
*steel doors wouldn't open and acted like steel blocks.
*Inventory was "frozen" (couldn't move anything or switch pages in creative mode inventory.
*Things I dug weren't added to my inventory (I lost my doors and other items)
Last edited by J-Block on Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@J-Block please copy lines around the error line for 1.4.x too. Those might show whats really going on.

1.9.x is experimental atm I can't give any guarantee it's working correct until 2.x release.
Nevertheless the more ppl testing 1.9.x the faster I'll be able to release a 2.x version.

EDIT1: do not switch back from 1.9.x to 1.4.x world has been modified by 1.9.x and won't be compatible to 1.4.6 anymore!
Last edited by sapier on Fri Dec 28, 2012 16:51, edited 1 time in total.

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

sapier wrote:@J-Block please copy lines around the error line for 1.4.x too. Those might show whats really going on.

1.9.x is experimental atm I can't give any guarantee it's working correct until 2.x release.
Nevertheless the more ppl testing 1.9.x the faster I'll be able to release a 2.x version.

EDIT1: do not switch back from 1.9.x to 1.4.x world has been modified by 1.9.x and won't be compatible to 1.4.6 anymore!
Oh shoot! Well, too late; that explains alot. I'm sorry but I can't find that line from the debug txt, and if what you say is true, I can't re-create the problem.
Last edited by J-Block on Fri Dec 28, 2012 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

sorry I shoud've made more clear that 1.4 -> 1.9 is a one way transition

J-Block

by J-Block » Post

sapier wrote:sorry I shoud've made more clear that 1.4 -> 1.9 is a one way transition
Okay, well I guess that does it. I can't use the mod. It sucks because all the mods out there for mobs don't work for me. :( I'll look for updates on this; maybe a new version will work for me. It's really nice.

Iqualfragile

by Iqualfragile » Post

J-Block: steps to make mobf useable:
1. blacklist all mobs, enable step by step by hand
Gr8 b8, m8. I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8. I r8 this b8 an 8/8. Plz no h8, I'm str8 ir8. Cr8 more, can't w8. We should convers8, I won't ber8, my number is 8888888, ask for N8. No calls l8 or out of st8. If on a d8, ask K8 to loc8. Even with a full pl8, I always have time to communic8 so don't hesit8.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I'm about to replace all abm based spawn algorithms by entity based ones hoping to solve lag issues ... but it's gonna increase entity number by round about factor 2. As minetests entity system is still broken I'm not sure if minetest can even handle that.
I expect this work to be completed before 2013 ;-)

Still there remains Github issue 229 which renders accleration based movement generation somehow risky as in worst case scenario a single performance glitch will hang server.

jordan4ibanez movegen doesn't use acceleration and it's movement look strange (at least at my oppinion), but it won't suffer from 229 so prabably this might be an interim solution

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@sapier are you hosting your images on page 1 with "freeimagehosting.net"? as I can't access the page 1 in chrome as this website has been reported to contain malware (see report here).

Any chance of using a different image host? I can still access the page with images disabled just a bit annoying.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@dannydark I'm going host them on my doc space as soon as I'm gonna release 2.x. I'm gonna need new images for 2.x anyways. Hopfully this will be last location change ;-)
Last edited by sapier on Sat Dec 29, 2012 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

A new Version has arrived, 1.9.5

Whats new?

-Spawning by entity seed
As of this version all abm based thus slow spawners have been removed. All mobs use invisible "spawn-eggs" now. Those eggs/spawners are distributed on map generation. This is strenght and weakness of this mechanism at same time, the spawners are not updated as world changes.

-Fixed height level control
Now flying swiming mobs relly try to stay where they are thought to be

Off Topic:
marktraceur started a license discussion I'm thinking about to release future versions of mobf with cc-by-nc-sa or cc-by-sa ... I'd prefere first one.
I'm asking for comments, what do you think about it?

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

"nc" is a non free licence i think ?!

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Depends on your definition of free, if free is defined as "gplv3"-compatible (as some ppl do) both ain't free.
Difference between cc-by-nc-sa and cc-by-sa is that first one prohibits earing money by using it too.
For anyone using mobf by now both licenses won't make a difference.

btw if anyone wanted to relicense animals modpack gplv3 he'd have a problem with sounds in here even if I'd released my code in gplv3 or compatible license. Some sounds are already cc-by-sa. Thats what the license files are for.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

A new Version has arrived, 1.9.6
Mobf is stabilizing again, this version seems to can handle even vombies on slow machines with reduced lag. In my testcase (slow 1 core server) it was only lagging on mapgen for large areas taking place.

tux_peng

by tux_peng » Post

AFAIK; NC make the license non-OSI

I think it is a good idea to stay compatible with debian
http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses
Servers now up (Economy, no PvP) Forum up already! http://tuxcraft.info