[Mod] More Chests [0.0] [chests_0gb_us]

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

I built this plugin to add more chests to the game on Rarkenin's request. All credit for ideas and textures goes to him, credit for the code goes to me.

Code License: LGPLv2/later
Image License: WTFPL

Dependencies: default

Cobble Chest:
{'default:wood','default:cobble','default:wood'},
{'default:cobble','default:steel_ingot','default:cobble'},
{'default:wood','default:cobble','default:wood'}

This locked chest looks like cobblestone, and has no info text. Great for hiding things in. However, unlike real cobblestone, this chest is breakable by hand. If you suspect there is one hiding, Hold the left mouse button, ant run your hand along the walls. When cracks appear, you've found the chest.

Drop Box:
{'default:wood','','default:wood'},
{'default:wood','default:steel_ingot','default:wood'},
{'default:wood','default:wood','default:wood'}

Anyone can put things in, but only the chest's placer can remove items.

Secret Chest:
{'default:wood','default:cobble','default:wood'},

As long as you remember to click “close” before you leave the chest, no one can see what the chest contains. Only the chest's owner can click “open” and “close” on the chest's formspec, revealing and hiding the chest's contents.

Shared Chest:
{'default:wood','default:leaves','default:wood'},

Exactly what it sounds like. The chest's placer can add people to the chest's shared list using the chest's formspec. Warning: anyone you add may empty the chest. When the chest is empty, it can be mined by anyone, just like a regular locked chest.

Wifi Chest

{'default:wood','default:mese','default:wood'},

A wacky chest that doesn't store it's items in the usual way, but instead, stores them remotely. For that reason, all wifi chests appear to have the same inventory. Due to not actually having an inventory, wifi chests can also be mined, even when they appear to have stuff in them. Lastly, as everyone gets their own wifi account, the items you see in the wifi chest are not the same items anyone else sees. This chest's properties make it nice for keeping secrets, as well as essentially almost doubling your inventory space, if you choose to carry one with you.

EDIT: Download link: http://0gb.us/minetest/download.php?plu ... 0gb_us-0.0
Last edited by 0gb.us on Mon Jan 07, 2013 21:27, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Great!
Wi-fi chest is like an enderman chest in the MC, so maybe mese blocks instead of wood, obsidian (or whatever else hard to brake) instead of mese and... well - once we would have stable mobs - some difficult-to-obtain drop instead of iron? For now Bones block should do (since that in the default game too)
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Jan 07, 2013 21:32, edited 1 time in total.

Oblivion1500

by Oblivion1500 » Post

oh wow nice work
Behold ME!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

4aiman wrote:Great!
Wi-fi chest is like an enderman chest in the MC, so maybe mese blocks instead of wood, obsidian (or whatever else hard to brake) instead of mese and... well - once we would have stable mobs - some difficult-to-obtain drop instead of iron? For now Bones block should do (since that in the default game too)
It's really more of wood=container, steel=control, and mese is related to things like Mesecons;
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

4aiman wrote:Great!
Any similarities to the wifi chest and a chest in Minecraft are purely coincidental. So I see no need to try to make them more similar by making the recipe more similar. Like your signature says, there are many similarities between Minetest and Minecraft, but I like Minetest a lot better, and don't feel like emulating what I feel to be the inferior game. Do Minecraft people try to get Minecraft to become more like the game that came before it (Infiniminer)? I doubt it, but I don't spend time in Minecrafts forum, so I don't know for sure.

Sorry to go off on you like that, but I don't like being told to do things "the Minecraft way". Please forgive me.

Obsidian is not in the default game, so that adds unnecessary dependencies. Also, like obsidian in the real world (obsidian is a volcanic glass), the obsidian added by the obsidian plugin is not hard to break. It can even be broken by hand, like regular glass. (Also, why is a hard-to-break material desired? I'm sure there's some obvious reason, I'm just missing it.)

If there is some non-Minecrafty reason why obsidian should be used, and I'll talk with Rarkenin about it. We could add something that switches the recipe if obsidian is installed, so a dependency wouldn't be required.

Iron was used because of its use in regular locked chests. I didn't want people crafting these chests as a substitute for regular locked chests, just because they are short on iron at the moment.

Bones is actually not in the default game yet. I just checked Github to be sure. As nice as it would be to have that in minetest_game, that decision has not been finalized yet. Although, as I said before, soft dependency is an option, if there's a reason why death or bones belong in an electronic (wifi) contraption.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

I love it escaped especially the wifi chest btw does that mean anyone with my IP can open it
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Chinchow wrote:I love it escaped especially the wifi chest btw does that mean anyone with my IP can open it
No, but anyone with your account can open it.

It actually works by storing the inventory inside the player. So each player sees a separate inventory, and two players at the same IP address will have different inventories, provided they have separate accounts.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Coincidence, huh? ;)
I don't trying to make your mod anything like MC!
If I wanted to, which isn't true, I could use your mod on the terms of LGPLv2 and changed it accordingly to my "wishes" and even post in the neighbour topic. Or I could overloaded your definition of the Wi-Fi chest in a completely new mod and use yours as a "core" for mine. Or I could have downloaded your version and replace your textures with my own ones and do not bother with crafting recipes having "lookin' good is all I need" attitude...
But no, I asked you for some changes and waited for your answer. Doesn't that mean I'm not so interested to make your mod minecraft-ish?
Once some persons hear smth about minecraft they seem to not to get the rest of the message... *Grumps*

You ALREADY have your own recipe and all I've done was suggest changing it materials without changing placement, 'cause such good thing as Wi-Fi chest should be more difficult to obtain. And that's all I wanted to say with my post! Besides, in minecraft we need 8 obsidians and 1 ender's eye, so no one atm can provide minecraft-ish craft for your Wi-Fi chest.

In fact I haven't a chance to even download your mod so far, so I can't possibly know what are the dependencies. As well as I didn't use obsidian mod by myself (without nether that has no point and the "nether" still "needs a few home-y touches"). And the obsidian I knew came from the minetest.ru server, for your information. And that's one as I remember it was not so easy to break even with mese pickaxe.

As for bones... I really thought they are in the default game from now on.
Last edited by 4aiman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

Josh

by Josh » Post

Awesome! Great way for hiding our resources +4 :D
Expecially the Cobblestone chest.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

My suggestion is that you make a community recycle chest where anyone can take stuff from it but it does not have to be all in one chest.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

4aiman wrote:Coincidence, huh? ;)
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply, but this really isn't based on anything in Minecraft.
4aiman wrote:But no, I asked you for some changes and waited for your answer. Doesn't that mean I'm not so interested to make your mod minecraft-ish?
I'm sorry. You're right, there are some topics I tend to flip out about.
4aiman wrote:Once some persons hear smth about minecraft they seem to not to get the rest of the message... *Grumps*
Okay. I'll try to understand your message, but I need help. You said that mese and hard physically hard stuff should be used to make the chest. Why is that? What does physically hard stuff have to do with the chest? You said hard to BREAK, not hard to ACQUIRE. Okay, I'll talk to Rarkenin about the recipe, and maybe change it. The problem is that everything in the default game is common, aside from poptart cats and rainbows, which are TOO rare for this.
4aiman wrote:In fact I haven't a chance to even download your mod so far, so I can't possibly know what are the dependencies.
The rules say you have to post the list of dependencies, which I did. This plugin only depends on default. Admittedly, not everyone follows the rules, but I try to.
4aiman wrote:And the obsidian I knew came from the minetest.ru server, for your information. And that's one as I remember it was not so easy to break even with mese pickaxe.
Maybe it was a modified version? Globis uses a modified version of his own plugin on his server. And he modified a couple others to. I'm also working on a modified version of Zeg9's skins right now.
4aiman wrote:As for bones... I really thought they are in the default game from now on.
Not yet, but maybe by the time 0.3.5 comes out.

Sorry if I missed anything, my attention is split right now.
jojoa1997 wrote:My suggestion is that you make a community recycle chest where anyone can take stuff from it but it does not have to be all in one chest.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it sounds like something I could talk Rarkenin into letting me add. Could you please elaborate?

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:My suggestion is that you make a community recycle chest where anyone can take stuff from it but it does not have to be all in one chest.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but it sounds like something I could talk Rarkenin into letting me add. Could you please elaborate?
I mean have a version of the wifi chest for everyone. You open one chest and another person opens a different chest but you both see the same inventory. Kinda like the wifi chest but making it universal and unlocked. also i thought that the game was in 0.4.4 not 0.3.5.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

Love the WiFi chest! I'm using free WiFi by the way.
Hi there ^.~

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
I mean have a version of the wifi chest for everyone. You open one chest and another person opens a different chest but you both see the same inventory. Kinda like the wifi chest but making it universal and unlocked. also i thought that the game was in 0.4.4 not 0.3.5.
I am ever so sorry. This is for version 0.4.4, and I meant to say by the time 0.4.5 comes out. Version numbers make a world of difference, don't they? And some people say it doesn't matter ....

Anyway, that sounds doable. Perhaps it needs a bigger inventory too, as everyone will be sharing it. I'll talk to Rarkenin, and see if we can get that added. I have a feeling he would encourage that chest's implementation though, so it's more of a formality/texture request sort of deal.

I need to figure out how to save detached inventory to a file though. The API documentation is clear on how to create the detached inventory necessary to make that chest work, but doesn't mention how to save the file. And without saving it, the chest's contents will disappear on each shutdown.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

I am ever so sorry. This is for version 0.4.4, and I meant to say by the time 0.4.5 comes out. Version numbers make a world of difference, don't they? And some people say it doesn't matter ....

Anyway, that sounds doable. Perhaps it needs a bigger inventory too, as everyone will be sharing it. I'll talk to Rarkenin, and see if we can get that added. I have a feeling he would encourage that chest's implementation though, so it's more of a formality/texture request sort of deal.

I need to figure out how to save detached inventory to a file though. The API documentation is clear on how to create the detached inventory necessary to make that chest work, but doesn't mention how to save the file. And without saving it, the chest's contents will disappear on each shutdown.
Cool i was thinking that you have 100-500 slots and just have it make another player that nobody uses "43485415435434" and save the inventory there.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Cool i was thinking that you have 100-500 slots and just have it make another player that nobody uses "43485415435434" and save the inventory there.
I was just going to make it double that of a normal chest, but we could add 100-500 slots by using multiple pages. THe crafting recipe for that might be nine regular wifi chests, and we could use one of the prototype textures Rarkenin already drew.

Making it another player has two problems. First, it just won't work. The player's inventory is only accessible when they are logged in. Because 43485415435434 would never log in, the contents of the chest would never be accessible. Second, it's kind of a hacky solution. node_ownership uses a similar solution, having a player named "sandbox" own public areas, so that type of solution has been used, but it it doesn't make it any less hacky.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

0gb.us wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:Cool i was thinking that you have 100-500 slots and just have it make another player that nobody uses "43485415435434" and save the inventory there.
I was just going to make it double that of a normal chest, but we could add 100-500 slots by using multiple pages. THe crafting recipe for that might be nine regular wifi chests, and we could use one of the prototype textures Rarkenin already drew.

Making it another player has two problems. First, it just won't work. The player's inventory is only accessible when they are logged in. Because 43485415435434 would never log in, the contents of the chest would never be accessible. Second, it's kind of a hacky solution. node_ownership uses a similar solution, having a player named "sandbox" own public areas, so that type of solution has been used, but it it doesn't make it any less hacky.
What about w=wifi s=steel
wsw

the steel unlocks the other steel or you could replace steel with mese(the magicness of it)
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
0gb.us wrote:

What about w=wifi s=steel
wsw

the steel unlocks the other steel or you could replace steel with mese(the magicness of it)
Okay, I'll do that then.

That is, if I can figure out how to save a detached inventory.

Although, to be honest, I haven't done any research on saving detached inventories since I first tried to build the regular wifi chest. I'm working on another project at the moment, but when I'm none (or perhaps during a break in the current project), I promise to get back to figuring out how to save detached inventories so we can make this new chest work.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

0gb.us wrote:You said hard to BREAK, not hard to ACQUIRE
Which I though was obvious. If smth isn't easy to break then that thing is not easy to acquire, 'cause that would require smth more than iron pickaxe.
Well that all is based on obsidian I know (go get wood - go get cobble - go get iron - finally go get mese - and at last go get obsidian. It's the materials one need to make an appropriate tool for moving forward Wi-Fi chest recipe I've suggested), so never mind that.

As for coincidence... I'm not implying anything. I rather believe there could be many peoples with the same ideas. But part of your work really is alike enderman chest.
It isn't really matter even if you DID play in minecraft and got the general idea from there. As you've said that's not the true and I'm no policemen.

=====Offtopic=====
I just noticed that many ideas that appeared recently is in fact some stuff from minecraft. And while on the one hand there's no some restrictions in mentioning minecraft, on the other hand whenever someone openly says that some stuff is from MC others start to say that minetest is better and there's no point in copying.

I do not know who is really "invented" smth and who is just afraid of being pushed for the very mention of minecraft or it's receipts. And I'm just tired of that kind of unnecessary tension.
Really, when someone says that MT > MC it looks like they are in need to keep saying that, so their faith would go nowhere. Minetest is already better then minecraft, 'cause of it's modding api and open source nature which gives anyone the ability to have their custom builds. And if anyone think that MC is easier to setup then they definitely should try to use version 1.1.1 and add some mods for it (even existing ones).

Well, it seems I just can't put my thoughts in one sentence..
====end of offtopic====
Last edited by 4aiman on Tue Jan 08, 2013 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Well, I had the idea (along with 0gb.us) for the chest, and I haven't played enough Minecrft to even know what Enders' whatever is.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

That's normal even if you did. I know of Minecraft for 2+ years now and only half a year passed since my friends and me started our ender-hunt. I not accusing anyone with anything. I just know when smth is like minecraft. I don't really care for recipes - that's "configurable" in a way. I just want to say that some descent tools&property should be obtainable only after making some descent efforts.
And even when I have gone to nether and was able to build just one chest, a friend of mine just looked and said:"Ahhhh... cheater! Only the classics only HardCore!" ))

PS: If anyone makes a statement that smth is like smth in MC - just do smth so later you can say: "Hah! And how about having THIS in the MC?" ;) In fact you and 0gb.us allready made smth like that.
Regards!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

0gb.us wrote:
Of course! It's a good idea, and I remember we were looking for a way to do this, discussing it in-game. The one large inventory might be actually a viable idea. However, I think that you should be able to pay for abnother "network" with steel and mese. Maybe:

Code: Select all

MMM
MSM
SSS
or

MMM
SMS
SSS

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Is it possible to make an entity that opens like a chest and follows you?
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

You know what? I think it is possible. Entities CAN have inventories. I don't know how to make one follow you though. I haven't done much with entities. I've only made one, which was static, and I didn't even completely make it on my own. Zeg9 made part of it.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

0gb.us wrote:Entities CAN have inventories.
I haven't tested that yet, but I'm sure they can.
0gb.us wrote:I don't know how to make one follow you though.
Look at butter creeper mod if you want animated follower.
All you need is to change the algorithm of chasing - instead of cycling through all connected players, you may want to set "owner" property for that entity after right clicking on it:

function some_entity:on_rightclick(clicker)
    if not clicker or not clicker:is_player() then
        return
    end
        self.owner = clicker
end
And now, instead of

for  _,object in ipairs(minetest.env:get_objects_inside_radius(self.object:getpos(), 12)) do
you'll need smth like

object = self.owner
A simple non-animated follower can be done more easily. Feel free to ask.

Edit: beware of /clearobjects using entities
Last edited by 4aiman on Sat Jan 19, 2013 09:47, edited 1 time in total.