[Mod] circular saw for easier handling of stairsplus-nodes

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

[Mod] circular saw for easier handling of stairsplus-nodes

by Sokomine » Post

This mod is based about the ideas yves_de_back in this thread.

It offers a simple way to handle diffrent nodes from stairsplus without having to fill your inventory with them, memorizing the receipes or having to throw away unwanted surplus parts.

Textures and nodebox-model where done by aximx51v:

Just put one or more full blocks of the desired material (i.e. cobble, glass, ...) into the slot marked "Input material" and draw out the desired shapes that appear in the output slots. If the shapes you take require less material than a full block, microblocks will appear in the "Rest/microblocks" slot (up to seven; full block = 8 microblocks). You can take those microblocks out as well. If you remove the last full block by either using it or taking it out of the input slot, the microblocks will be lost.

If you have surplus material (i.e. leftover slabs, panels, microblocks, ...), put them into the slot "Recycle". They will be glued back together and form as many full blocks as possible.

The "Max: 10" allowes you to set how many blocks of each shape are offered to you in the output slot. If you set it to 1, you can draw out individual shapes easily. If you set it to 99, you can draw out complete stacks in one go (that is, if you supply enough input material).

The circular saw can only be used by the player who placed it. If you install my locks mod, you can grant access to ohter players as well.

Textures are not yet available. I'll try to create a nodebox for it, and with a bit of luck, NekoGloop will do textures for it :-)

Version: 1.1
Download: https://github.com/Sokomine/circularsaw/zipball/master
Browse code: https://github.com/Sokomine/circularsaw

Depends on: stairsplus
Recommends: locks

Craft a circular saw with 8 cobblestone stairs arranged similar to a furnace/normal chest:

The screwdriver from RealBadAngels technic mod is included as well. It is a very useful tool to handle stairbox nodes and change their orientation after placing. If you do not have technic installed, you can craft the screwdriver this way (thanks to RealBadAngel for allowing me to provide a copy!):

Sample usage of sandstone in the Input material slot:

With Max set to 1:
Last edited by Sokomine on Fri Jan 25, 2013 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
A list of my mods can be found here.

GloopMaster

by GloopMaster » Post

LOL NOPE NOT DOING TEXTURES.

Too busy with my own crap ;-)
Meow.

That is all.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

I might be able to do textures. PM me with what you want.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Post

Absolutely wonderful sokomine :D

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

I realy like thiis great work this makes minetest even better!!

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Life with stairs plus, just became alot easier.

yves_de_beck

by yves_de_beck » Post

Very good =)

aximx51v

by aximx51v » Post

I dunno what you are looking for as far as textures, but when I saw this mod I immediately thought of a tablesaw.
So, after a bit of work with nodeboxes, and some texture work in GIMP, here's what I made:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktr41b4ktpy36 ... 337679.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/klxjg5vx6iyev ... 347391.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwjhwnflpctv2 ... 362652.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zql4duiv9zwt7 ... 395848.png

the recipe i made for it was
(nothing) (iron ingot) (nothing)
(wood plank) (mese block) (wood plank)
(stick) (nothing) (stick)

if you're interested in the code and textures, let me know. :)

JoeyXtreme

by JoeyXtreme » Post

looks good axim
it looks like a saw now :D
Hi i'm a signature :D

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

aximx51v wrote: I dunno what you are looking for as far as textures, but when I saw this mod I immediately thought of a tablesaw.
So, after a bit of work with nodeboxes, and some texture work in GIMP, here's what I made:
That's exactly what I had in mind! Of course I'm intrested in code for the nodebox definition and texture, but I'll stick to the old receipe. The circular saw is mostly a way to facilitate handling of nodes for building. I don't want to make it too expensive or too difficult to memmorize how it is crafted. If you prefer any other receipes feel free to use them!

I'd be glad if you could provide your nodebox and textures. Please tell me what liscence you want for them. For the code as such I'm still undecided. Regarding players as such and usage on servers, it ought to be mostly WTFPL (everyone ought to be able to adopt the mod to his/her own needs, use and redistribute it). I'd feel uncomftable about commercial use but CC-by-NC goes far too far...can't we have our own liscense for mods? After all, most mods are rather small (this one as well).

Some time ago, rarkenin offered to do textures as well, though he was aiming in a diffrent direction (more like CNC). Maybe he can post screenshots as well?

aximx51v

by aximx51v » Post

Sokomine wrote: That's exactly what I had in mind! Of course I'm intrested in code for the nodebox definition and texture, but I'll stick to the old receipe. The circular saw is mostly a way to facilitate handling of nodes for building. I don't want to make it too expensive or too difficult to memmorize how it is crafted. If you prefer any other receipes feel free to use them!

I'd be glad if you could provide your nodebox and textures. Please tell me what liscence you want for them. For the code as such I'm still undecided. Regarding players as such and usage on servers, it ought to be mostly WTFPL (everyone ought to be able to adopt the mod to his/her own needs, use and redistribute it). I'd feel uncomftable about commercial use but CC-by-NC goes far too far...can't we have our own liscense for mods? After all, most mods are rather small (this one as well).

Some time ago, rarkenin offered to do textures as well, though he was aiming in a diffrent direction (more like CNC). Maybe he can post screenshots as well?
Here's the Nodebox code:

Code: Select all

drawtype = "nodebox",
        node_box = {
            type = "fixed",
            fixed = {
                {-0.4, -0.5, -0.4, -0.25, 0.25, -0.25}, --leg
                {0.25, -0.5, 0.25, 0.4, 0.25, 0.4}, --leg
                {-0.4, -0.5, 0.25, -0.25, 0.25, 0.4}, --leg 
                {0.25, -0.5, -0.4, 0.4, 0.25, -0.25}, --leg
                {-0.5, 0.25, -0.5, 0.5, 0.375, 0.5}, --table top
                {-0.01, 0.4375, -0.125, 0.01, 0.5, 0.125}, --saw blade (top)
                {-0.01, 0.375, -0.1875, 0.01, 0.4375, 0.1875}, --saw blade (bottom)
                {-0.25, -0.0625, -0.25, 0.25, 0.25, 0.25}, --motor case
            },
        },
        selection_box = {
            type = "regular",
        },
    inventory_image = "table_saw.png",
    tiles = {"saw_top.png", "saw_bottom.png", "saw_side.png"},
and the textures(same names, placed in the textures folder of course):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0lrw2wnybjym ... bottom.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/44dytulj1xamyq1/saw_side.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms6k2v0x2h971kd/saw_top.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/17e8zbpthb4o9h9/table_saw.png
You may want to get a better pic for the inventory image, I didn't try to make a nice one.

as far as license, I don't care really. WTFPL is fine. It'd just be nice to be recognized as the one who made the texture, that's all. Thanks! :)

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Thank you for the model! It looks very good and is now included. Now there's no longer confusion between furnaces and the circular saw :-)

The new version includes the screwdriver from RealBadAngels technic mod as well. He allowed me to provide a copy. It is intended for servers that can't install the full technic mod (which is a great mod it's fun to play with!). If you do have the technic mod installed, you will get support for the stairplus-nodes from technic (marble, marble brick, granite, obsidian) with this new version. The screwdriver will be very helpful for stairs on a roof and situations where getting into the right position to place the node with the right orientation is difficult.

If there are other mods that use stairsplus with their own nodes please tell me so that support for them can be included as well.

addi
GitHub: adrido

by addi » Post

i added few lines to make this mod compatible with non stairplus mods
e.g. darkage

https://github.com/Sokomine/circularsaw/pull/1

BZab

by BZab » Post

Rly good and usefull, as milling machine...
It should be added to stairs+

bentleysb

by bentleysb » Post

Anyone know what happened to the stairs+ mod? It seems to have disappeared from the forums.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

It is now part of MoreBlocks

bentleysb

by bentleysb » Post

Traxie21 wrote:It is now part of MoreBlocks
thanks

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Crossposted from the moreblocks thread since I'm not sure whose fault it is ;-)

While adapting another mod to use the "circular" saw, I noticed that the saw already recognizes a few technic blocks: marble, marble bricks, granite, and obsidian. However if you're using current Technic git, and you try to place one of those technic blocks in the saw's input slot, you get a bunch of unknown items in the output slots.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

problems with full panel... bottom left corner. It's 3/4 width instead of half. Doesn't line up with half stairs like horizontal stair block just above it in the circular saw grid.

Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

The problem occoured when Calinou inserted the three quarter wall panel and accidently replaced the normal wall panel with it. That ought to be repaired in stairsplus/moreblocks now. Thanks for the bug report!

aximx51v

by aximx51v » Post

I just noticed when i tried to make a steel sword, that the screwdriver overrides the steel sword's recipe.
you might want to change the recipe..

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

aximx, this is the wrong thread to be mentioning that. :-)

In current git, swords have a different craft recipe than either of the common screwdrivers:

Moreblocks     Default
Sword    Screwdriver   Screwdriver
- S -       - - -         - - -
- S -       s S S         s S -
- s -       - - -         - - -
(where lower 's' is a stick and capital 'S' is steel ingot)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

aximx51v

by aximx51v » Post

VanessaE wrote:aximx, this is the wrong thread to be mentioning that. :-)

In current git, swords have a different craft recipe than either of the common screwdrivers:

Moreblocks     Default
Sword    Screwdriver   Screwdriver
- S -       - - -         - - -
- S -       s S S         s S -
- s -       - - -         - - -
(where lower 's' is a stick and capital 'S' is steel ingot)
whoops, i guess still i have an old version of this.
(in the version i have) the screwdriver does build in the default sword configuration, though. But that's irrelavent at this point i guess..
thanks for pointing that out