The Changes to MESE..

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

The Changes to MESE..

by Jordach » Post

Were they good or bad.

Now, what I want to know is, was it the best idea since the nyan cat, or something else.

Use the poll to decide. It will last 3 weeks, so you can mull over your decisions. I also want input from the lesser known side of the community, the one or two posters, we want to hear you!
Last edited by Jordach on Wed Jan 09, 2013 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

+1 To new mese for me.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

new mese adds more potential to mods. i like them because my spawners are way more expensive
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

I, honestly, feel as if something that "is minetest" and gives Minetest its quirky feel of running into hand-lettered yellow blocks deep underground, should not be turned into a generic ore.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Josh

by Josh » Post

I would prefer a mese lump and ingot.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

rarkenin wrote:I, honestly, feel as if something that "is minetest" and gives Minetest its quirky feel of running into hand-lettered yellow blocks deep underground, should not be turned into a generic ore.
haha go deep enough and the block still is down there (despite the new texture which I hate its there still :)

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

OmniStudent

by OmniStudent » Post

I havn't seen the new MESE, but I never liked the black-and-yellow lettered one. It ruins suspension of disbelief.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

sdzen wrote:
rarkenin wrote:I, honestly, feel as if something that "is minetest" and gives Minetest its quirky feel of running into hand-lettered yellow blocks deep underground, should not be turned into a generic ore.
haha go deep enough and the block still is down there (despite the new texture which I hate its there still :)
We;ve lost the classic hand-lettered texture.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

I like the new mese, but it needs better textures.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Wow, I did not expect this much results in such a short time; all users signed into Minetest Forums, keep voting. :P

Obiewan1111

by Obiewan1111 » Post

I really couldn't care less, as long as I can get mese, I am fine! And I usually play creative on singleplayer.
Youtube Channel; Minetest Gaming Videos

Is suggesting the Offtopic Section and getting it added an achievement? I guess it is!

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Casimir wrote:I like the new mese, but it needs better textures.
+1
mine, for example :DD

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Meh, I don't really care.

Both ways work for me and to be honest I'm kinda getting sick of everyone complaining over it now ¬_¬ its done, the change has happened if you don't like it you can always install the old mese mod.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

dannydark wrote:Meh, I don't really care.

Both ways work for me and to be honest I'm kinda getting sick of everyone complaining over it now ¬_¬ its done, the change has happened if you don't like it you can always install the old mese mod.
I agree with you. Everyone complains about new MESE, the new noclip priv, having to use 'E' to fly fast, etc etc.
Everyone has made their best effort to make everything configurable to try to cater to as many users as possible, but there's always someone b*tching.
Don't like new MESE? Use old MESE mod.
Don't like noclip? Edit your conf and give it by default to get old fly behavior.
Don't like having to press 'E' to fast fly? Disable it in conf.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

How do i enable using 'E' to fly fast
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:How do i enable using 'E' to fly fast
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/b ... xample#L56
aux1 = E

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:How do i enable using 'E' to fly fast
https://github.com/celeron55/minetest/b ... xample#L56
aux1 = E
thank you
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

kaeza wrote:
dannydark wrote:Meh, I don't really care.

I agree with you. Everyone complains about new MESE, the new noclip priv, having to use 'E' to fly fast, etc etc.
Everyone has made their best effort to make everything configurable to try to cater to as many users as possible, but there's always someone b*tching.
Don't like new MESE? Use old MESE mod.
Don't like noclip? Edit your conf and give it by default to get old fly behavior.
Don't like having to press 'E' to fast fly? Disable it in conf.
Agreed, Thing is there is always going to be changes people don't like no matter how many polls you setup on the forums and/or how many times said feature is discussed on IRC but that's the beauty of Minetest's Modding API If a change is made to the upstream game that people don't like, most of the time you will be able to create a mod to get back old functionality as the Minetest game is after all just a bunch of mods bundled into one package.

If the change is something that isn't related to content and is something engine based (like the noclip change) then well if its really that bad fork the project and change it back or suggest a better way of doing it.

// Start rant ----------

While I'm on the subject, This thing that's starting to happen now with a config option being added for every small change so that it can be toggled between new/legacy is plain stupid, I can understand having an option in some cases but not for small things like the new noclip behaviour etc. What's so hard in giving yourself an extra privilege and then pressing H or whatever key you assign it to? EDIT: Because once you've done that and enabled noclip you don't have to worry about it again, it will remain active whenever you switch to free_mode.

I originally added this noclip change to one of my brothers old 0.3.x servers as we didn't want people to be able to instantly get all the best stuff in the game when the server was meant to be survival, in fact I even went as far as completely stripping out the fly ability eventually, To me creative gets boring fast so I tend to only want to play survival servers which to be honest are not really survival anyway as there is nothing to try and "Survive" and within 30 minutes or so playing the game you already have access to all the best tools and resources....leaving well nothing much else to do other than build (which isn't all that bad I quite enjoy building, just wish there was a lot more to the survival aspect).

So when I was talking about adding it on IRC and PilzAdam went and did it while I was busy talking about it haha I was more than happy because I only want admins on the server to have the noclip ability, but not players they only need standard fly to help with building high structures I guess, but if we keep adding config options for every minor change like this then eventually the Minetest config is going to become a nightmare to deal with and will just create endless headaches for newbies.

If some feature does go to a vote before being merged upstream then the majority vote should be kind of like the final say and that should become the default feature without question (obviously as long as Celeron55 is happy with it).

Lastly its stupid when developers are having to spend as much time going back and forth adding/removing things from a addition because some people don't like it as they are coding the addition in the first place, then what tends to happen is everyone will be agreed on the addition, it then gets merged upstream then loads of people start complaining again forcing developers into either adding a toggle config option or removing it completely and reverting it back to its previous state.
This in turn slows down progress of other more important stuff being fixed/added to the game.

// End rant ----------

^_^ haha just realised how long this is....well if you got this far congrats!
Last edited by dannydark on Sat Jan 12, 2013 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyXtreme

by JoeyXtreme » Post

i dont care mese is mese for me doesnt matter if its crystals or blocks
Hi i'm a signature :D

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

JoeyXtreme wrote:i dont care mese is mese for me doesnt matter if its crystals or blocks
+1 The only reason i really dont want it to change back is all my mods have dependencies on the mese_crystals and so do soo many other mods
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

I am undecided
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

dannydark wrote:Agreed, Thing is there is always going to be changes people don't like no matter how many polls you setup on the forums and/or how many times said feature is discussed on IRC but that's the beauty of Minetest's Modding API If a change is made to the upstream game that people don't like, most of the time you will be able to create a mod to get back old functionality as the Minetest game is after all just a bunch of mods bundled into one package.

If the change is something that isn't related to content and is something engine based (like the noclip change) then well if its really that bad fork the project and change it back or suggest a better way of doing it.

// Start rant ----------
(...)
// End rant ----------

^_^ haha just realised how long this is....well if you got this far congrats!
TL;RA (Too long; read anyway) -- Good Guy Kaeza :)

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

Perhaps a bit late for a new suggestion, but here goes...

Make mese spawn naturally as a block called default:mese_ore. It would have the mese crystals texture.
The default:mese_ore would drop default:mese, which would be a craftitem with the crystal texture.
The default:mese_shard and default:mese_block would be crafted normally from default:mese.

This way, those who want the crystals would get them, and it would remain compatible with old mods (in know, most have been converted already...).

Those who want classic mese could retexture default:mese_ore and redefine default:mese to be the old block. This would integrate better then the current oldmese mod.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Menche wrote:Perhaps a bit late for a new suggestion, but here goes...

Make mese spawn naturally as a block called default:mese_ore. It would have the mese crystals texture.
The default:mese_ore would drop default:mese, which would be a craftitem with the crystal texture.
The default:mese_shard and default:mese_block would be crafted normally from default:mese.

This way, those who want the crystals would get them, and it would remain compatible with old mods (in know, most have been converted already...).

Those who want classic mese could retexture default:mese_ore and redefine default:mese to be the old block. This would integrate better then the current oldmese mod.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

jojoa1997 wrote: -5
Well. That certainly is very constructive and useful.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.