3d Armor - need help!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Q:How do you change view to thirdperson?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

you would have to make the canera go behind the player.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@Likwid H-Craft: You can't, this feature doesn't exist in Minetest.
He's connected with two clients and he is recording from one client while playing on the other.

@jojoa1997: Chill out mate, give the developer chance he was asking for help not 1 million and 1 ideas haha.

@4aiman: nice work mate, definitely deserves a +1 my only concern is if you do go down the route of adding the armour to the player model and then just switching states with that it will make it harder for people to add new types of armour. They would need to edit the character model and then either get it merged upstream or release a modified version with their mods.

It would be much better if you were able to carry on down the route you started at with making armour attachable models etc instead of part of the same character file.

EDIT: Also the next problem that you would get if the armour was added to the character model is a server could only ever have one modified character model (with the armour from one mod) because as soon as you have multiple mods that add new armour types etc they will be overwriting each others character model.
Last edited by dannydark on Sat Jan 12, 2013 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnar

by Ragnar » Post

(0.| <!=== Omg, that looks GREAT!
Hey can i put it on my webiste when its ready-ish?
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

lord_james wrote:Uhm... Another suggestion: Alpha texture. One model, differents combinations of armors.
That's exactly what I'm going to do ;)
jojoa1997 wrote:but have you open it with a letter "u".
There is no need in additional keybindings. It's VERY likely I'll use modified inventory_plus mod (so yes, this would be compatible with skin selection from the very beginning)

Edit:
I tried to change models like this:

Code: Select all

prop = {
        mesh = "helmet.x",
        textures = default_textures,
        visual = "mesh",
        visual_size = {x=1.3, y=1.1, z = 1.3},
    }
    clicker:set_properties(prop)
@dannydark
Well, you're right about one model at a time... every new armor will result in adding even more meshes... some kind of avalanche... Dilemma.
I'll try to find out how to make synchronization then. If I will fail at that then at least I can modify character model and add at least some basic armor...
I'm looking into player.lua and butter creeper mod right now. I got the idea how to set an animation, but I have to modify built-in stuff to be able to easily read current animation.

Thanks everyone so far! New thoughts highly appreciated!
Last edited by 4aiman on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

4aiman wrote:
jjoa1997 wrote:but have you open it with a letter "u".
There is no need in additional keybindings. It's VERY likely I'll use modified inventory_plus mod (so yes, this would be compatible with skin selection from the very beginning)
I want it on my private server but i am using unified inventory. Could you make it configurable to opening it with the u button. Also opening with a letter allowes it to be able to do into the default game since inventory_plus is not in the default.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:inventory_plus is not in the default
I'll see what I can, but if I will use Inventory to add the change-armour-ability then it's formspec should be modified. Yes, I would like to change that in the same formspec with the craft area (MC style).

Moreover, currently we have 2 ways (except doin'g that by myself) of changing the inventory: Inventory+ and Unified_inventory. I don't like the second one, cause that's too much for the inventory.
Anyway, I'll try to be:
a) compatible with both of them;
b) compatible with the default game.
I guess I'll make config file where one can set all of that.
Watch this for details: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wyp9hQXyU1k

Pros:
- made with Lua entity
- items from different sets can be put on
- animations of a player & an armor are synchronized
- built-in stuff left intact

Cons:
- armor is a bit bigger than needed (will fix that by myself)
- armor do not protect (will fix that by myself)
- armor is unequippable unless logout (need help to do this without "Wardrobe" block)
- unlimited simultaneous armors equippable (will add a check to make it impossible to wear 2 helmets)
- animation of a player & an armor are synchronized only after 1st change of animation, e.g one must die, run/sneak or punch smth, even air (can't fix, consider that unimportant)

Also: If anyone knows how make a player visible to himself (camera shift wouldn't work), I'm all ears.
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Jan 14, 2013 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Nice work 4aiman, I found it funny how in your video you could see loads of npc's running around in the water behind you haha.

Anyway looks good, with regards to 3rd person view this won't work just by moving the camera unfortunately as the players own model isn't rendered on the client screen (only other players) which I think is also why we have a weird hand instead of the hand of the model actually showing.

So I'm guessing in order to have a 3rd person camera angle we would first need to let the client know about its own model and render it I guess.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Well, I know that moving the camera wouldn't work. The thing is I cannot see not only player itself but any entity attached to him.
I'll try to move the camera and instead of attaching entity to player I'll try to attach player to entity - I know that I can see a boat this way.
So, maybe I would be able to attach player to character entity and move it instead of the player...

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

+100 Maybe if you have a block that is easy to make that can bring up a menu allowing it to be in default
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

You coud also use Calinou's moreores mode for stuff like golad and silver. I also suggest using titanium and diamonds mods. The three are mod dependencies here. [Mod] Armor and Weapons [armor]
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

I certainly will use moreores and diamonds (as well as update my heretic's texturepack for those 2). I tried titanium, but that's too complicated. If you want, I'll make titanium armor, but that'll be not 1st thing in the TODO list. What's the purpose of titanium mod? New ores? What else? I saw some weird screens which are confusing. I don't remember any description either. Please, post here what one could do with titanium except new blocks.

News about 3rd person:
That's possible using the trick I suggested earlier. There may be some unfair consequences for those who will use default client. I'll see what can I do about that. Right now those who want to test what it would look like can perform following actions (sorry windows users... If anyone was able to compile his/her minetest under win32 - PLEASE, HELP ME TO DO IT TO!!! I'll post some info then about what I've achieved allready):
- go to your minetest folder
- cd to "src" folder
- open the "camera.cpp" file
- go to line 245
- change "v3f rel_cam_pos = v3f(0,0,0);" to "v3f rel_cam_pos = v3f(0,0,-50);" (w/o brackets)
- cd to ../ (e.g minetest folder)
- run "make"
- after compilation go get boats mod: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4016
- install the "boats"
- launch the game
- after loading issue "/giveme boats:boat" command (w/o brackets)
- place your boat in water
- rightclick on it
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

4aiman wrote:I certainly will use moreores and diamonds (as well as update my heretic's texturepack for those 2). I tried titanium, but that's too complicated. If you want, I'll make titanium armor, but that'll be not 1st thing in the TODO list.

News about 3rd person:
That's possible using the trick I suggested earlier. There may be some unfair consequences for those who will use default client. I'll see what can I do about that. Right now those who want to test what it would look like can perform following actions (sorry windows users... If anyone was able to compile his/her minetest under win32 - PLEASE, HELP ME TO DO IT TO!!! I'll post some info then about what I've achieved allready):
- go to your minetest folder
- cd to "src" folder
- open the "camera.cpp" file
- go to line 245
- change "v3f rel_cam_pos = v3f(0,0,0);" to "v3f rel_cam_pos = v3f(0,0,-50);" (w/o brackets)
- cd to ../ (e.g minetest folder)
- run "make"
- after compilation go get boats mod: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4016
- install the "boats"
- launch the game
- after loading issue "/giveme boats:boat" command (w/o brackets)
- place your boat in water
- rightclick on it
1X coding
3X debugging

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Also could you add visible weapons
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

But the boats mod works without compilation.
You didn't get it. I'm talking about a hack for 3rd person. compilation needed to see a whole model, not just part of it.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Also could you add visible weapons
I can't. Every entity, connected to the player dissapears from his screen. The only way is to attach player to some entity and attach weapons to that entity as well.
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

4aiman wrote:
But the boats mod works without compilation.
You didn't get it. I'm talking about a hack for 3rd person. compilation needed to see a whole model, not just part of it.
Are you are changing how the character is defined.
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Um.. what?

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

On tablet I changed the post.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Are you are changing how the character is defined.
No. I have done nothing to have 3rd person view. I just gave everyone a working idea. Controlling lua entity isn't that hard after toying with player.lua, boats and butter creeper, so it is possible to have 3rd person view.
There are one problem, though. Other players will see both the player and the lua entity. So we should use invisible mesh for a player.
Edit:maybe later I'll make smth like that, but not now.
Last edited by 4aiman on Mon Jan 14, 2013 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Heh you do both know that you can edit your post after its already been posted? meaning there is no need for creating new posts unless someone has replied after you ^_^ haha

Anyway, That change will work fine on Windows, or do you mean you need help compiling something else on Windows? If so I can help I do most of my compiling on Windows as its my main OS, although I also compile for Linux and OS X (well not so much any-more) to.

It would be nice to have hack for 3rd person but to be honest I'd rather see you spend your time on the armour etc (unless 3rd person view is part of the mod?) as the 3rd person view should probably be integrated engine side and not through a hack done in lua, Although saying that I'm not too sure what the best way of adding such a feature would be.

Anyway nice to hear you're making progress, very impressive.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

i think that you should be able to see the person in the armor menu
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@jojoa1997 you mean like in Minecraft? I never really saw the point in that as you can always view your character in 3rd person view anyway (in MC).

Also that's probably not something that is related to this mod.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I meant so you could see how th armor looks it doesnt have to move and doesnt have to be 3d
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Was this abandoned?
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests