Android Minetest

For people working on the C++ code.
Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Unfortunely madarexxx, alot of android devices DO NOT have alot of ram. Mine is 512k. Lets not forget that Android also encompasses cellphones.

I did download Minecraft PE demo. One word ... yuck. At least on a tablet. It is not meant to connect to a server ... at least not the demo.

I think those working on android version of MT will have to consider two versions. One for cell phones and one for tablets. Also can you imagine the cell charges trying to be constantly connected to a server? It would have to be WIFI only.

Once again, translating to another platform is NOT easy. Not to mention having to rewrite for a touch interface as oppose to keyboard and mouse. It would like translating for Microsft Surface and Windows 8. That is another ball of wax in itself.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Unfortunely madarexxx, alot of android devices DO NOT have alot of ram. Mine is 512k. Lets not forget that Android also encompasses cellphones.

I did download Minecraft PE demo. One word ... yuck. At least on a tablet. It is not meant to connect to a server ... at least not the demo.

I think those working on android version of MT will have to consider two versions. One for cell phones and one for tablets. Also can you imagine the cell charges trying to be constantly connected to a server? It would have to be WIFI only.

Once again, translating to another platform is NOT easy. Not to mention having to rewrite for a touch interface as oppose to keyboard and mouse. It would like translating for Microsft Surface and Windows 8. That is another ball of wax in itself.
I will point out that the MCPE works fine on this ipad I am using.

Also, my 2010 Android tablet was cheap anid it had 256mb of ram. But MCPE requires Android 2.3 and not 2.1.

Also, MCPE uses Bluetooth to play the game wirelessly.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Hay i got an android 4.2 aka JELLYBEAN and there is 16 gb of ram. there are still those out there who could play this. also it would bring popularity to the game. imagine is it easier to show a game on a tablet or on a computer.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Hay i got an android 4.2 aka JELLYBEAN and there is 16 gb of ram. there are still those out there who could play this. also it would bring popularity to the game. imagine is it easier to show a game on a tablet or on a computer.
You mean storage, not RAM. The biggest RAM on any smartphone/tablet is 2GB as of today (Nexus 4, Galaxy S III...).

1GB (or sometimes 512MB in multiplayer) is the memory requirement for Minetest.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Oh id didnt know that. Just checked and the nexus 7 has 1 gb of ram.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

hdastwb
GitHub: hdastwb
IRC: hdastwb
In-game: hdastwb

by hdastwb » Post

Jordach wrote:Like you, I know a little Java, however, since Canonical is releasing their own tablet, the Ubuntu tablet, we could use that instead, since it would naturally support C++.
And it looks like they've got it Ubuntu for phones too now!
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone
I think Minetest should definitely be looking at this as a future platform.
tinoesroho wrote:iOS runs Obj-C, not C++. Also does not support opengl. -.-
Actually, my iOS language of choice is Objective-C++; all that one has to do to use it is to change the file extension from .m to .mm and modify a couple semi-obscure compiler options to get object instantiation to work correctly. Objective-C++ pretty much just comes from bolting Objective-C onto C++ rather than C and thus it is probably the most frankensteinian computer language in existence, but it is a lot of fun to code with three standard libraries, three string types, two object models, and two ways of using anonymous functions. The UI interface is still entirely in Objective-C (which isn't too bad), though one can mostly avoid using the Objective-C collections (compare

Code: Select all

vector<int> ivec;
…
ivec[2] = j;
…
int i = ivec[2];
to

NSMutableArray *ivec = [[NSMutableArray alloc] init];
…
[ivec replaceObjectAtIndex:2 withObject:[NSNumber numberWithInt:j]];
…
int i = [[ivec objectAtIndex:2] intValue];
).

iOS doesn't support "full" OpenGL, but it does have bindings for OpenGL ES and I think I saw something about an Irrlicht port for it.

That said, though, I believe that the iOS terms forbid downloading code (besides JavaScript in web pages) in one's apps, so I'm afraid iOS Minetest wouldn't have any mods. It would probably have to be either singleplayer-only or only available for jailbroken devices.

madarexxx

by madarexxx » Post

i have MCPE, it runs perfectly in both - server/client modes. So what about minetest port?
Sorry for my bad English, please help me learn it - correct my worst mistakes :)

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

hdastwb wrote:
Jordach wrote:Like you, I know a little Java, however, since Canonical is releasing their own tablet, the Ubuntu tablet, we could use that instead, since it would naturally support C++.
Actually, my iOS language of choice is Objective-C++; all that one has to do to use it is to change the file extension from .m to .mm and modify a couple semi-obscure compiler options to get object instantiation to work correctly. Objective-C++ pretty much just comes from bolting Objective-C onto C++ rather than C and thus it is probably the most frankensteinian computer language in existence, but it is a lot of fun to code with three standard libraries, three string types, two object models, and two ways of using anonymous functions. The UI interface is still entirely in Objective-C (which isn't too bad), though one can mostly avoid using the Objective-C collections (compare

vector<int> ivec;
…
ivec[2] = j;
…
int i = ivec[2];
to

…
…
).

iOS doesn't support "full" OpenGL, but it does have bindings for OpenGL ES and I think I saw something about an Irrlicht port for it.

That said, though, I believe that the iOS terms forbid downloading code (besides JavaScript in web pages) in one's apps, so I'm afraid iOS Minetest wouldn't have any mods. It would probably have to be either singleplayer-only or only available for jailbroken devices.
What about downloading Javascript bindings to Lua? Or perhars(although this sill be SO slow), make a Javascript-in-Lua system?
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

hdastwb
GitHub: hdastwb
IRC: hdastwb
In-game: hdastwb

by hdastwb » Post

rarkenin wrote:
hdastwb wrote:

vector<int> ivec;
…
ivec[2] = j;
…
int i = ivec[2];
to

…
…
).

What about downloading Javascript bindings to Lua? Or perhars(although this sill be SO slow), make a Javascript-in-Lua system?
I may have misspoken there; I forgot that we don't have client-side mods yet, so there isn't any lua traversing the pipe. If someone wanted to install mods to the phone they would probably have to load them on with iTunes.

If we wanted to use JavaScript for client-side scripts we'd have to run all of the code in the iOS web browser which isn't known for its speed. However, as noted, we don't have client-side mods and therefore the limitation on scripting is a non-issue.

Should a server-client widget deployment system emerge to allow for mods to install custom UI to clients, the code would likely have to be downloaded and the iPhone build would be more or less sunk. Though I personally have been thinking a bit on how that should be implemented, I'm not sure if that is the official direction in which the game is moving in regards to UI or even if that's even much of a big issue for most people.

Anyway, so if we were to develop an iOS version there is actually a possibility that it might make it through the app store. And there's also a possibility that they'll see MCPE and not think that out app would have anything to add to their store besides decreasing its revenue.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I still would go for just getting the engine working before LUA. Bring the android version up and working to 0.3.1 standard then add LUA scripting. Trying to get too many features working is foolish in trying to debug. Minecraft PE was pretty stripped down version. We properly going to have to compromise some features due to memory restraints in RAM. Even my netbook with 2Gigs of ram doesn't really run Mintest right.

As for iOS, I doubt if any of us have $700US to be listed as a developer on Apple App store. Even if it is free. Then Apple can pull the app for whatever reason with no recourse.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Any news
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

madarexxx

by madarexxx » Post

any news? does author need tester?
Sorry for my bad English, please help me learn it - correct my worst mistakes :)

jimbo3182

by jimbo3182 » Post

I am making one currently check the Pocket Edition thread under general discussion

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

jimbo3182 wrote:I am making one currently check the Pocket Edition thread under general discussion
that doesn't look like you're making it.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Has anyone thought about NestedVM? It can be used to compile Minetest in GCC to a MIPS binary, then sticking that into a JVM-compatible CLASS file that can be used with Java.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

madarexxx

by madarexxx » Post

NestedVM sounds good, but MIPS binary???most mobile devices have ARM CPU!

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

madarexxx wrote:NestedVM sounds good, but MIPS binary???most mobile devices have ARM CPU!
...aand some of them even have x86 CPUs, just like computers. :P

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Calinou wrote:
madarexxx wrote:NestedVM sounds good, but MIPS binary???most mobile devices have ARM CPU!
...aand some of them even have x86 CPUs, just like computers. :P
It seems odd, but the JVM converter wants MIPS binaries in almost any case.
NestedVM provides binary translation for Java Bytecode. This is done by having GCC compile to a MIPS binary which is then translated to a Java class file. Hence any application written in C, C++, Fortran, or any other language supported by GCC can be run in 100% pure Java with no source changes.
Last edited by rarkenin on Sat Feb 02, 2013 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

iOS supports OpenGL ES 1.0 (newer devices also support 2.0)
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:As for iOS, I doubt if any of us have $700US to be listed as a developer on Apple App store. Even if it is free. Then Apple can pull the app for whatever reason with no recourse.
iOS Developer Membership costs 99$ / year
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

nextmissinglink

by nextmissinglink » Post

ive got a tablet with 1 gig of ram duelcore chip and quadcore graphics ? it would be great
IF in doubt hit it with a hammer
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply id10t ERROR
do not abuse me i am 11 and i like hitting things with a hammer that may include you
this is ment to be secret http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 467#p86467

zoot686

by zoot686 » Post

I've had my eye on a 10" netbook running android 4.0 with a 1.5Ghz ARM11 chip and a gig of ram, along with openGL support.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Well, I'm dissecting the network code and making it into a PHP library, perhaps a webapp or something could be written, and possibly use my library as a backend?

Slain

by Slain » Post

hdastwb wrote:

vector<int> ivec;
…
ivec[2] = j;
…
int i = ivec[2];
to

…
…
).

ubuntu phone OS with minetest platform = thumbs up

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

iOS could still be awesome, even in un modded. Quick question though- could multiplayer be done like in mc pocket edition? That is, someone is playing on a world, and someone else on the same network who is playing Minetest can join the first player on their world, by having the first player's world appear in the second player's world list, perhaps in a different colour so they can distinguish if from their own worlds.
Last edited by Dan Duncombe on Thu Jul 04, 2013 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.