[Mod] More Trees! [git][moretrees]

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

OOps! You're right, sorry about that. Fixed in git.

In the meantime, I renamed all the conifers and jungletrees nodes and textures, and added aliases for backwards compatibility. Also, added sideways trunks for all trees and crafting recipes for them.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Ooops... Forgot some references to the old jungletrees and conifers nodes when I was weeding out the legacy names and textures. Just pushed another update that should fix the last of it.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

if i didnt have conifers or jungle installed do i need the update
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

Every once in a while something special comes along that adds a little magic to the game, changes the complexion of it. More trees is one of those things. Nice work RBA and Vanessa! Minetest just seems a little more real than before.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Neuromancer wrote:Every once in a while something special comes along that adds a little magic to the game, changes the complexion of it. More trees is one of those things. Nice work RBA and Vanessa! Minetest just seems a little more real than before.
+10
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

This mod doesn't really have anything to do with conifers or jungletrees aside from borrowing textures and a bit of code, and the fact that those mods serves as inspiration to write this one.

If you have them, uninstall them. Moretrees will cover their functionality.

Also, I just pushed a couple of bugfixes, a few texture improvements, etc. Anyone who installed this mod sometime in the last several hours should update again.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I just added another update that greatly improves the speed of this mod. Please re-download it and make sure you update plantlife also - this mod will not work properly without tonight's update of plantlife, as that mod is where the speedup occurs.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Could you add underground trees and your trees look amazing with the new mapgen
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Pushed another change today - workaround to fix an issue that caused firs to sometimes spawn as all trunks+cones.

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Woot!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

And yet another change to fix the small size of some cones and saplings in the inventory.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

The creation of this wonderful mod has made the future of Minetest brighter. The trees and the planks that are made from them add a true level of depth to this game. It is true that variety is a good thing.

You may want to check the strength of the jungle tree and fir planks. They break instantly with one hit, whereas the other planks have normal strength. Since the trees of this mod like to spawn around water, highland areas can sometimes end up being rather bare. Hopefully lakes will be able to appear in those areas one day.

You still seem to be working on this mod. This is important to do as doing so makes this mod more stable and makes it more likely to appear on servers. This mod and the plantlife modpack definitely deserve to be on servers because they add big improvements to maps.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Inocudom wrote:The creation of this wonderful mod has made the future of Minetest brighter. The trees and the planks that are made from them add a true level of depth to this game. It is true that variety is a good thing.

You may want to check the strength of the jungle tree and fir planks. They break instantly with one hit, whereas the other planks have normal strength. Since the trees of this mod like to spawn around water, highland areas can sometimes end up being rather bare. Hopefully lakes will be able to appear in those areas one day.

You still seem to be working on this mod. This is important to do as doing so makes this mod more stable and makes it more likely to appear on servers. This mod and the plantlife modpack definitely deserve to be on servers because they add big improvements to maps.
i agree +5000
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-01-25: Updated moretrees to use the latest version of the plantlife API.

In addition to that, there have been numerous other, smaller changes:
  • Fixed missing jungletree sapling alias
  • Tweaked palm tree model to add coconuts
  • Tweaked size of all "fruit" items (really just cones). Rotated their images in inventory and wield.
  • Changed descriptions of sideways trunks to "Sideways Xxxx Trunk"
  • Tweaked names of jungle tree leaves to be Jungle Tree Leaves (Xxxx)
  • Moved jungletree trunk, sideways trunk, sapling into nodedef loop
  • Renamed trunks and trunk tops to bear "_trunk" and "_trunk_top" in their filenames.
  • Added copies of default jungle tree trunks and tops, with naming similar to the above change.
  • Re-arranged init.lua to put all leaves/needles definitions in one place.
  • Deleted some outdated textures.
  • combined leaves definitions back into main loop with an exception for jungletrees (if that one is called for, it is skipped, because leaves for those trees are explicitly defined later)
  • Made all leaves drop saplings when dug, 1/20 chance.
  • Added leafdecay radii to main tree table but disabled the use of it. To be implemented in the future. Disabled leaf decay for firs.

queensbury

by queensbury » Post

kaeza wrote:
queensbury wrote:Whenever I start up the game I get this error:

I have downloaded and installed all the latest versions of minetest, plantlife and moretrees from the first posts of your topics and from the minetest website. It still doesn't work.
You need to compile latest development version or use one of sfan5's or xyz's Minetest builds for Windows.
EDIT: It seems your 'Latest' is not latest enough :)

And where do I get xyz's build then?

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

queensbury wrote:
kaeza wrote:
queensbury wrote:Whenever I start up the game I get this error:

I have downloaded and installed all the latest versions of minetest, plantlife and moretrees from the first posts of your topics and from the minetest website. It still doesn't work.
You need to compile latest development version or use one of sfan5's or xyz's Minetest builds for Windows.
EDIT: It seems your 'Latest' is not latest enough :)

And where do I get xyz's build then?
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4240

EdwardK

by EdwardK » Post

Okay I read through (Forgive me if I missed anything) this post and I'm still having problems with the mod.
I have your latest plantlife-master, the latest XYZ build, and the latest version of moretrees-master.

When I attempt to enter a world I can see that plantlife-master loads, but it gets to moretrees and displays this:

ERROR[main]: ERROR FROM LUA
ERROR[main]: Failed to load and run script from
ERROR[main]: moretreesmaster\init.lua:
ERROR[main]: moretreesmaster\init.lua: 32: attempt to concatenate a nil value
ERROR[main]: stack traceable
ERROR[main]: ...0d09a8\bin\..\mods\minetest\moretreesmaster\init.lua: 32: in main chunk
ERROR[main]: END OF ERROR FROM LUA

And then it displays the typical server failed to load and run messages.

I'm completely clueless at the moment as this language is still Greek to me, any help you can offer would be great!

Thanks!
-EdwardK
Yes, I wear a tophat, build and race cars, and now my newest obsession is Minetest.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Well firstly, moretrees needs to be named just "moretrees", not moretreesmaster.

Secondly, this error is not complete. Line 32 calls upon node_defs.lua but I need to know where within that file the error was (a complete past of the error will tell me).

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

line 32: dofile(minetest.get_modpath("moretrees").."/node_defs.lua")

It should execute moretrees/node_defs.lua, but that directory doesn't exist (moretreesmaster does), resulting in a nil result trying to concatenate?

Renaming the folder to moretrees should take care of that error.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

That sounds about right to me.

EdwardK

by EdwardK » Post

Yep, that's what it was.

Thank you.
Yes, I wear a tophat, build and race cars, and now my newest obsession is Minetest.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-02-11: Added leafdecay!!

Also, made all cones + apple fall when they have nothing to hang onto. Fixed a minor bug where horizontal/sideways trunks couldn't be rotated (lacked facedir). Fixed broken birch sideways trunk recipe.

Ragnarok

by Ragnarok » Post

Why jungletree leaves disappearing when I stand close to tree?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I think I know why that happens - I forgot to account for the old legacy node name for jungle tree trunks. Git updated - see if that fixes it for you.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Added the ability for this mod to perform leaf decay on default trees (defaults to false), and added the ability to redefine apples so that they fall when nearby leaves decay (defaults to true). Also moved several general config settings into moretrees/settings.lua.