Organizing The Wiki

hmmm

Organizing The Wiki

by hmmm » Post

I've come up with a better way to organize the wiki now that mods are a giant part of the game. (well in 0.4 that is)
Here's my proposal. Please tell me what you think and if you know of any way to make it even better. I'm going to type it as if it's what will actually happen (it helps me think for some reason).

Under the Gameplay heading, there will be two pages, Getting Started and Mods.
The Getting started will be the same. Mods will contain several headings named different categories. Some categories could be Vanilla, Plants and Farming, New Blocks, and Other.

Under each category heading will be a list of mods that fit into each category, (mods can be under multiple categories)
On each mod page will be a paragraph or two describing the mod and it's license / permission given to other mod makers.
Below that will be a "Content" heading. Beneath that heading will be the following page links that apply to the mod: "Crafting", "Blocks", "Items", and "Mobs". They will be similar to the ones on the current gameplay heading but instead each page will be unique to that particular mod and only have what is in it's mod.

All pages that have items, blocks, items, and mobs will show the mod name.

I think that's all. If you guys like this, I'll propose this to Celeron.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

I like it. A huge improvement to the current page of links, some of them without any sort of description.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

+2
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

+1 very nice idea
Last edited by rinoux on Thu Jan 05, 2012 08:00, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I like it. I don't like dokuwiki much, but I guess we don't have another choice :)
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Maybe we also need to make separate pages for every node/entity/item and post all the infos about them in there? And add the line that tell what mod is this item object in.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

neko259 wrote:Maybe we also need to make separate pages for every node/entity/item and post all the infos about them in there? And add the line that tell what mod is this item object in.
Yeah so people would be able to easily use /give command :)
I love mods :D

hmmm

by hmmm » Post

neko259 wrote:Maybe we also need to make separate pages for every node/entity/item and post all the infos about them in there? And add the line that tell what mod is this item object in.
The "Blocks", "Items", and "Mobs" pages would have a list of links to a page for each node/entity/item. Entities and mobs are the same thing right?

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

First of all, don't start doing anything like this before I have given permission to do so, because you will probably do it wrong and I will just end up reverting the wiki to an earlier version, and you will be sad.

Now, if this is to be done, at least these need to be taken into account:
  • Every page related to this should be contained in namespace "mods" in the wiki.
  • 0.3 is still the latest stable version of Minetest; that is, the content describing it shall not be replaced. There needs to be some kind of a subsection or subtopic for 0.4.
  • Generally one page per mod. If the page would be painfully long, then more pages can be added.
  • Only mods that are freely usable and distributable with unobfuscated source code are allowed in the wiki. (L)GPL, BSD, WTFPL and so on.

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

Really the optimal solution to all of this would be a mod sharing/repository website that would allow uploading the mod, description, documentation, allow usage of automated mod installers and allow directly viewing the source code in a web browser. Ratings, comments and stuff like that. Automatic crafting recipe generation from scripts would also be technically possible.

I wonder if somebody would be capable of pulling that off? That is not really in the area of expertise for me. Altough that doesn't necessarily mean I couldn't do it if I decided to...

MarkTraceur

by MarkTraceur » Post

celeron, I'm going to be working on that this semester. It's a school project, though, so it'll be slow and careful. At the end, we'll have a nice site, but it probably won't be fast. sfan5 has a temporary solution somewhere on the forums....here: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=618
Mods: https://gitorious.org/marktraceur-minetest-mods
IRC: marktraceur on freenode

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

why not make a real wiki? lol
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

hmmm

by hmmm » Post

celeron55 wrote:First of all, don't start doing anything like this before I have given permission to do so, because you will probably do it wrong and I will just end up reverting the wiki to an earlier version, and you will be sad.

Now, if this is to be done, at least these need to be taken into account:
  • Every page related to this should be contained in namespace "mods" in the wiki.
  • 0.3 is still the latest stable version of Minetest; that is, the content describing it shall not be replaced. There needs to be some kind of a subsection or subtopic for 0.4.
  • Generally one page per mod. If the page would be painfully long, then more pages can be added.
  • Only mods that are freely usable and distributable with unobfuscated source code are allowed in the wiki. (L)GPL, BSD, WTFPL and so on.
I wont do anything with the wiki without your permission. Is it possible to display, on the client, the names of all the mods used on a particular server?