GLSL Shaders

Mgdie

GLSL Shaders

by Mgdie » Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlS6i4aJZ58
Minecraft looks really good with these stuff but it only works in 0.01 % of minecraft players because you need hellalot power.

So i thought if this is possible on minetest the performance gain due to native code would be greater making the game look better without a performance loss. ;D
Last edited by Mgdie on Sun Dec 09, 2012 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

leo_rockway

by leo_rockway » Post

This does look great.
Try Skyblock for MineClone 2
Listen to this sound and music pack!

MirceaKitsune
GitHub: MirceaKitsune
IRC: Taoki
In-game: MirceaKitsune

by MirceaKitsune » Post

That looks very beautiful! Anyway yes, it is possible in MineTest with shaders as far as I know. But we need someone to implement a second render pass for shaders, like celeron55 explained. Once that's in this should be very doable, and totally needs to happen.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

Yeah like MirceaKitsune said a second render pass is needed for some shaders (like depth-of-field etc)

Mgdie

by Mgdie » Post

soooo... any word?

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Mgdie wrote:Minecraft looks really good with these stuff but it only works in 0.01 % of minecraft players because you need hellalot power.
It works for the most people, but It doesn't have good performance. Thats a difference.
Mgdie wrote:So i thought if this is possible on minetest the performance gain due to native code would be greater making the game look better without a performance loss. ;D
GLSL compiles Shaders to native code that can run on GPUs, it doesn't matter if the game itself if written in c++ or java.
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

sfan5 wrote:GLSL compiles Shaders to native code that can run on GPUs, it doesn't matter if the game itself if written in c++ or java.
The programming language matters a lot. The GLSL shaders mod on Minecraft are very slow for me, but the GLSL shaders on Minetest are much faster.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

Calinou wrote:
sfan5 wrote:GLSL compiles Shaders to native code that can run on GPUs, it doesn't matter if the game itself if written in c++ or java.
The programming language matters a lot. The GLSL shaders mod on Minecraft are very slow for me, but the GLSL shaders on Minetest are much faster.
wait. what minetest shaders?

doserj

by doserj » Post

Calinou wrote:The programming language matters a lot.
It doesn't
The GLSL shaders mod on Minecraft are very slow for me, but the GLSL shaders on Minetest are much faster.
That's because the shaders in minetest barely do anything, compared to the shader mods for minecraft.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Mito551 wrote:
Calinou wrote:
sfan5 wrote:GLSL compiles Shaders to natice code that can run on GPUs, it doesn't matter if the game itself if written in c++ or java.
wait. what minetest shaders?
Minetest 0.4.4 has some (test-) shaders.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

yes. that's what i thought. but it's inappropraite comparing these shaders and shaders of the top post.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Mito551 wrote:yes. that's what i thought. but it's inappropraite comparing these shaders and shaders of the top post.
The shaders I used on Minecraft were depth of field, world curvature and parallax/normal/specular maps AFAIK (with a 256×256 texture pack). So that's probably why it's slower, nevermind then. ;)

burli

Re: GLSL Shaders

by burli » Post

Is there any progress on this? Would be awesome to see something similar in minetest

issa

by issa » Post

look cool, hope will be integrated on minetest :)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

i will like that the GLSL Shaders be optional, some people here doesn't have so good computers!
Will look great, the actually shaders of 0.4.13 in really are very good!
we only need a better sun light shader!
And make the leaves a bit more soft!

(A random joke: -i have windows 10, what you think?
-i have a better one!
-But if Windows 10 is the last version!
-Nope, i have Windows 97, 87 version actualized!)
Have a nice day! :D

issa

by issa » Post

sorry but with this screns and the screens like u see up :

i defintly prefer the up :

so i realy want see shaders in minetest

Edit : in the past i think someone make a shaders version of minetest, because minetest using Irlich framwork, and on this frmawork u have some module u can activate to add futurs to the engine, or edit source code to add more réalistics on the engine see this :

or this : :

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =6&t=23453

Look this game using the same engine of minetest :

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/v ... =6&t=48105

look really cool

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

i think that c55 don't implement that graphics because the idea of Minetest is make a reliable game with good performance!
That shaders make the game very "nice" and "beauty"!

But it needs many computer hardware!

If the devs do a add-on to the engine, that you can install, if you think your pc is fast!
but anyways is better polish performance and in-game experience!

Sick-D!!
GitHub: Sick-D
IRC: Sick-D
In-game: Sick-D

by Sick-D!! » Post

MineYoshi wrote:i think that c55 don't implement that graphics because the idea of Minetest is make a reliable game with good performance!

If the devs do a add-on to the engine, that you can install, if you think your pc is fast!

Maybe you're right... but it looks damn amazing anyways ...

i use minecraft shaders when i play mc ... i miss sth like that for minetest...

What about doing it as a mod or so? Would that be possible??
Irrlicht IS powerful... we know all... but how Complicated is this?
Some Videos in German?
https://www.youtube.com/user/SickDDubstep
Or Livestreams?
http://www.twitch.tv/sick_d

Bye bye ;)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

Sick-D!! wrote:
MineYoshi wrote:i think that c55 don't implement that graphics because the idea of Minetest is make a reliable game with good performance!

Maybe you're right... but it looks damn amazing anyways ...

i use minecraft shaders when i play mc ... i miss sth like that for minetest...

What about doing it as a mod or so? Would that be possible??
Irrlicht IS powerful... we know all... but how Complicated is this?
Actually we only need "Fancy Lightning" Minetest have very nice shaders, as the moving leaves, or the cool water too!
Minetest only need to upgrade the sun light, or fancy lightning, i like the Minetest Shaders, and they are cool, only is about add 1 thing more to make Minetest look so "realistic"...

benrob0329
GitHub: Benrob0329
IRC: benrob0329
In-game: benrob03

by benrob0329 » Post

I say that anyone wanting to take a stab at making shaders should do it, and post the replacement files for everyone to test.

I personally like the current style of shadows, the sun just needs to be seen as a light source (the moon is ok as is, as there aren't many shadows at night)

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

benrob0329 wrote:I say that anyone wanting to take a stab at making shaders should do it, and post the replacement files for everyone to test.

I personally like the current style of shadows, the sun just needs to be seen as a light source (the moon is ok as is, as there aren't many shadows at night)
+100!

Thomas-S
GitHub: Thomas--S
IRC: Thomas-S
In-game: Thomas-S

by Thomas-S » Post

Additionally, smooth lightening for nodeboxes would be really good.

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

Yes, Irrlicht does have many features regarding shaders, it is just a bit difficult finding really good example or explanation documentation on how to implement them.
I have downloaded a couple of glsl water shader scripts and trying to find documentation on getting them to work ingame, what is needs what are the important lines of code, etc...., not so easily nor readily found. (well, at least not for me) "Dammit Jim..., I'm an artist, not a coder!"
It's funny because, you find a little info, and do some typing, start the game and have your fingers crossed that it works like a little kid haha...
I have only got as far as to get a water shader to actually not cause an error on loading..., but only to learn it was simply because I added a blank init.lua file... but nothing more happened as I have no idea what script is needed to point what to where, or when : /
But..., I keep plugging away. If I ever get something to work Im gonna dance naked around the fire pit in my back yard, because I will be able to share it with the community..., but if I do get something to work it will be only due to pure luck with zero attributed knowledge of wth I did :D
glsl shaders will be great but, will not work for everyone. and any shaders suck performance down.
I still feel the best approach is looking more toward focusing on tweaking actual graphic images and files amap and not relying fully upon numerous shaders
A Wonderful World

MineYoshi

by MineYoshi » Post

thegreatone wrote:Yes, Irrlicht does have many features regarding shaders, it is just a bit difficult finding really good example or explanation documentation on how to implement them.
I have downloaded a couple of glsl water shader scripts and trying to find documentation on getting them to work ingame, what is needs what are the important lines of code, etc...., not so easily nor readily found. (well, at least not for me) "Dammit Jim..., I'm an artist, not a coder!"
It's funny because, you find a little info, and do some typing, start the game and have your fingers crossed that it works like a little kid haha...
I have only got as far as to get a water shader to actually not cause an error on loading..., but only to learn it was simply because I added a blank init.lua file... but nothing more happened as I have no idea what script is needed to point what to where, or when : /
But..., I keep plugging away. If I ever get something to work Im gonna dance naked around the fire pit in my back yard, because I will be able to share it with the community..., but if I do get something to work it will be only due to pure luck with zero attributed knowledge of wth I did :D
glsl shaders will be great but, will not work for everyone. and any shaders suck performance down.
I still feel the best approach is looking more toward focusing on tweaking actual graphic images and files amap and not relying fully upon numerous shaders
You're right, the GLSL Shaders make the game the game don't have the enough performance!

TumeniNodes
GitHub: TumeniNodes
IRC: tumeninodes
In-game: TumeniNodes

by TumeniNodes » Post

There is a package I found titled LuaGL https://github.com/FelipeFS/luagl which seems to supply pre-written scripts for enabling user config for openGL which I am going to try to play around with but, I think it also requires some C++ work to link LuaGL and openGL features (which scares me :D)
So not to sure how far I could get with it, as I am just learning Lua as it is. Not sure if there is anyone else interested in trying it out? But I am just adding some links just in case.
http://luagl.wikidot.com/howto
Mind you, this is completely bypassing any and all shading via irrlicht <(which is actually the way it should be done, meaning using shading features of irrlicht) by using openGL features which most definitely will not work for everyone and I am unsure which rout of implementing shaders is more likely to create some significant lag?
A Wonderful World