[0.4.8] 0gb.us's basic server

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:what about getting the players name and password in the file. then there wont be any messups in case sensitivity. also if someone knows my password then they could log in and use the warps anyways
The problem is case sensitivity in file names. Also, if a user changes their password, they would then lose their warp points.

In other news, skin changing is now disabled for users who have a custom skin. It's less hacky that way.

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Post

i sent you new private skins 0gb okay?

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:what about getting the players name and password in the file. then there wont be any messups in case sensitivity. also if someone knows my password then they could log in and use the warps anyways
No, since the file with their LIST of warps is named by their name, and that way, it is case-insensitive, so Rarkenin and rARKENIN would wither steal warp points or mess everything up.

To 0gb_us: Have you thought about implementing a cryptographic hash?
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Adarqet wrote:i sent you new private skins 0gb okay?
Installed.
rarkenin wrote:
No, since the file with their LIST of warps is named by their name, and that way, it is case-insensitive, so Rarkenin and rARKENIN would wither steal warp points or mess everything up.

To 0gb_us: Have you thought about implementing a cryptographic hash?
No, but no need. I've created a new plugin, filesystems_0gb_us, which should do the trick. While not perfect, it provides a sort of pseudo-case sensitivity. If it finds an INIT.LUA (only init.lua should exist), it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation, allowing "a" to become "-a", and "A" to become "+A". Because Linux actually functions in a reasonable manner, this translation is not performed on Linux operating systems by default, but can be activated by adding an INIT.LUA to the plugin's directory.

This still won't be released for some time. There is still much to do to clean these things up.

Besides, isn't there a slim chance of hash collisions? Also, hashing can be slow (I think). teleport_0gb_us depends on points_0gb_us, which sometimes rapidly changes the file, and would need to rehash the name each time (I'm not keeping the hash in memory).

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Post

Now The Green Hornet and Kato shall protect his server!!!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

0gb.us wrote:No, but no need. I've created a new plugin, filesystems_0gb_us, which should do the trick. While not perfect, it provides a sort of pseudo-case sensitivity. If it finds an INIT.LUA (only init.lua should exist), it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation, allowing "a" to become "-a", and "A" to become "+A". Because Linux actually functions in a reasonable manner, this translation is not performed on Linux operating systems by default, but can be activated by adding an INIT.LUA to the plugin's directory.
If the hash does collide, you would be insanely famous in the crypto community. It's also quite small, anywhere from 16 to 64 bytes. If you DO keep it in memory, you don't need to rehash each time the file is updated.

You should also make filesystems_0gb_us an API for other mods. I'm assuming usernames don't allow + and - in Minetest.
Last edited by rarkenin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

rarkenin wrote:
0gb.us wrote:No, but no need. I've created a new plugin, filesystems_0gb_us, which should do the trick. While not perfect, it provides a sort of pseudo-case sensitivity. If it finds an INIT.LUA (only init.lua should exist), it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation, allowing "a" to become "-a", and "A" to become "+A". Because Linux actually functions in a reasonable manner, this translation is not performed on Linux operating systems by default, but can be activated by adding an INIT.LUA to the plugin's directory.
If the hash does collide, you would be insanely famous in the crypto community. It's also quite small, anywhere from 16 to 64 bytes. If you DO keep it in memory, you don't need to rehash each time the file is updated.

You should also make filesystems_0gb_us an API for other mods. I'm assuming user names don't allow + and - in Minetest.
I understand IF I keep them in memory I can reuse the hashes. My whole point is that I'm not doing it. The reason I'm using separate files for each user is to keep memory usage to a minimum. I can load a user's file when they log in, and unload it when they log out.

The maximum mangled user name with my system would be 38 bytes. More than 16 bytes, but less than 64. And that's just the maximum. The minimum would be two byes, and my six character name would be twelve byes..

filesystems_0gb_us is ALREADY an API for other plugins. It's entire purpose is to define a single function to make file names work on the Windows operating system without needing to reinvent the feature each time I need it, as I need it for three plugins already. Just out of curiosity, what did you think it was doing to make other plugins "compatible", if not defining an API?
0gb.us wrote:... it switches to Windows workaround mode, and translates every character in the file name into a two-character representation ,..
The minus character is allowed in user names, but it doesn't matter. I said EVERY character is converted to a two character representation, it's not just alphabetic characters. + becomes ++, and - becomes --. All non-alphabetic characters are doubled. This seems like a needless extension of file names, but I disagree. This makes it very easy for a script to go through and translate them back for use on file systems that actually work correctly. All the script has to do is keep every other character, throwing out the others. Furthermore, this is just a workaround to make sure suborn Windows users don't take my non-compatible plugin and screw up their game worlds. If people want user friendly file names, they should quit using an operating system that is so un- user friendly in every way. This isn't meant to be a compatibility fix. Mangled names, especially irreversibly mangled by hashing, is too hacky a method to be considered "compatible". The only goal here is to not be responsible for data loss/data manipulation. Windows users STILL should not install these, and they DO raise errors when run on Windows. For the time being, I don't know how to fix that.

Besides, does Lua have any hashing functions? I couldn't find any.

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Post

Jo, the castle is done but the interior and two and half castle towers, i'll start on the towers tomorrow, you can do the library anytime, and also tomorrow i'll start on 0gb's noble house, then Chows then yours the Ada's
Hello I am a random panda

george_souza

by george_souza » Post

I can privs? my name is MrLordi
MineTest Brazil

Adarqet

by Adarqet » Post

There seems to be a problem on the server i cant join the server!!!!!!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

george_souza wrote:I can privs? my name is MrLordi
You already have all the privs that are available. You can dig, and place blocks, and chat.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Adarqet wrote:There seems to be a problem on the server i cant join the server!!!!!!
I can't connect to the server myself, nor can I connect to http://0gb.us. This is probably an internet connection issue.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rarkenin wrote:
Adarqet wrote:There seems to be a problem on the server i cant join the server!!!!!!
I can't connect to the server myself, nor can I connect to http://0gb.us. This is probably an internet connection issue.
it seems that his server is down. it is not on thew multiplayer list and that shows only the up ones
Last edited by jojoa1997 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:
it seems that his server is down. it is not on thew multiplayer list and that shows only the up ones
The multiplayer list shows a set of servers registered on the official servers page. That has nothing to do with his server's uptime. With that said, he IS down again, in the same fashion as the previous outage.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

rarkenin wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:
The multiplayer list shows a set of servers registered on the official servers page. That has nothing to do with his server's uptime. With that said, he IS down again, in the same fashion as the previous outage.
but the thing is that 0gb's server is on the list so i use that to tell wether his server or my server is down.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:
rarkenin wrote:
jojoa1997 wrote:it seems that his server is down. it is not on thew multiplayer list and that shows only the up ones
but the thing is that 0gb's server is on the list so i use that to tell wether his server or my server is down.
Oh, it is?

Zakh80

by Zakh80 » Post

world wont load for me? -shrug

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Zakh80 wrote:world wont load for me? -shrug
As above posts state, server is unfortunately down for the time being as well as everything at 0gb.us.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Sorry about the outage. The connection went out while I was doing research for homework last night, so I was aware of it, but there was nothing I could do. This morning it seems to be back up though.

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Post

here are the two names: Stromrage and Elfvendale, send me a pm with your vote nobles

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Bearbar123 wrote:here are the two names: Stromrage and Elfvendale, send me a pm with your vote nobles
Stormrage sounds like raging storm. A name fit for a violent area or an area of violent storms. Elfvendale sounds like an elven city, and there's nothing inherently violent about elves. I'd go with Elfvendale, being a peaceful builder of underground roads, myself.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Sun Feb 03, 2013 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Bearbar123 wrote:here are the two names: Stromrage and Elfvendale, send me a pm with your vote nobles
i choose stormrage because the theme of the town is medival. also one district is the fisherman area
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Post

the name has been chosen, The Empire of Elvendale has started

Bearbar123

by Bearbar123 » Post

Here are the jobs:
Marshal(Leads the armies): Taken by Jo
Spymaster(Head of the spies): Taken by 0gb
Chancellor(Takes care of the city): open
Court Chaplin(Runs the church and takes care of taxes): open
Last edited by Bearbar123 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Bearbar123 wrote:Here are the jobs:
Marshal(Leads the armies): open
Spymaster(Head of the spies): open
Chancellor(Takes care of the city): open
Court Chaplin(Runs the church and takes care of taxes): open
please explain spy master more I would like to know what it is.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging