[Mod] Monorail [0.1.2] [monorail]

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I'm going to try it but as far as I know the entity linking wasn't added to core.

EDIT1:
no the link/unlink feature didn't make it to core. As there are lots of changes for this release I can't provide a date when those changes will be merged to my branch atm either.
Last edited by sapier on Mon Mar 19, 2012 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Hmm, I will try be hand and see what comes of this experiment.

InfinityProject

by InfinityProject » Post

How to ride it?

SegFault22

by SegFault22 » Post

They won't stay on track if accelerated too much so it isn't really a working implementation.
So...What happens if you take a minecart, bolt a jet-propulsion engine to it and aim it at a 90* turn in the tracks? It runs off the tracks >:D Even on some straight-sections in the track, if moving too fast, any minecart will begin to ''gain lift'' and destabilize off-track.
Now, all you have to do is come up with a way to animate the crash-scene...lol
"All we need it the right major crisis and the nations will accept the new world order."

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

As there ain't a cart mod supporting up and down movement (at least none I know) I've had a look at my old sliders mod. And guess what? I've managed to fixed the bug's beeing the reason to discontinue development.

1) up/down movement often threw cart out of track
2) cart stopped in corners if wall was directly ahead in movement direction

EDIT1:
link unlink feature, making movement smooth, still haven't found it's way to core movement is still choppy
Last edited by sapier on Mon Sep 10, 2012 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

Keep up the amazing work sapier! I really appreciate these awesome mods.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Done: added switched (running throug rails wrong way isn't supported, see graphics what's wrong way)
TODO: -add transport cart
-add mesecon integration

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Monorail now supports mesecon switches, boosters and breaks.

TODO:
-add transport cart
-your suggestions

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

why was this mod moved to old mods? Even 0.0.10 is still working on 0.4.4?!

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Updated to use mesh models.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

If you try to ride the cart while it is moving, the game crashes with the error below.
21:08:16: ERROR[main]: ServerError: LuaError: error running function 'on_step': ...bin\..\mods\minetest\pushable_block/cart_generic.lua:349: attempt to index global 'linkedplayer' (a nil value)

The cart does derail at turns sometimes, but placing solid blocks on the outer bends of them does prevent this.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

thx inocudom I've fixed all of your problems in new 0.0.14 release

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Updated to new minetest version 0.4.6 introducing new glitches on slow servers.
This still won't work perfect on laggy servers but at least you won't stop randomly anymore.

Tested against:
Mesecons 20130211
Minetest 0.4.6

oxenfreedan

by oxenfreedan » Post

wow this looks alot better than the carts mod ive tried to get working i will try it!
My Awesome Map please try:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5028
I've played minetest since 0.3.1 came out!
Mostly when on forums I'm using a uniden tablet!

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This mod is more stable than the carts mod, but I have never seen it used on a server. I hope that one day it will.

Idanwin

by Idanwin » Post

The horrible noise may be one of the reasons, I disabled the sound and use it on my server (only for friends).
Carts crashed my server once (derailed cart), which meant I had to load a backup. Since I switched to MR, I've had no problems!

Just to show you that people are using it, and are really happy about it.
The only remark I have is that while loading a part of the map the monorail gets stuck for a while, but that has to do with the engine and not this mod. I hope a later minetest version will implement some kind of preloading to keep this from happening.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

I'm going to have to make a modpack kind of like FTB. I'll probably include this.
Back from the dead!

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@Idanwin
I'm not quite sure about the reason for this glitch. I don't think it's a direct effect of maploading. My current working thesis is it's a collision handling artifact happening on high server load. Which of course is result of chunk loading. My stepsize pull request might help reducing this glitch but I didn't have time to test by now.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

May I make a suggestion? If possible a coal powered engine cart would be amazing. It would hopefully work like this:
You place it on a track, and right click it with coal which will make it move down the track in the direction you are facing. The coal will of course disappear from your hand. If the cart encounters another cart it will push it along. 1 piece of coal would last, say 1 minute, and every time you right click it with coal it will add 1 minute onto the timer counting down the time until the cart stops. If you could do this it would be amazing!
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I noticed today that even with booster tracks that are powered by mesecons, the carts can't go up diagonal slopes that go really high. Is this intentional? If so, could something be added to this mod that allows carts to climb such slopes?

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@Inocudom I'm not quite sure but maybe you used too much booster rails. Once a cart is accelerated to much it'll crash to the floor thus being stopped. If this guess is true the issue should occur way more often the slower your server is.

@Dan Duncombe thats two suggestions :-) the second one being the complicated one
1) coal powered cart moving on its own. can be added .... but doesn't really fit to hovering monorail carts .. is it?
2) carts pushing each other. thats the difficult one. this would be at best solved in a generic way by adding entity <-> entity pushing to core. I don't think this will be added very soon.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

When the different types of rail in this mod meet, they don't always connect properly (this is mainly true for corners and slopes.) I don't know if there is a way that this can be fixed, but it is worth a try.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

afaik this is true for normal rails too. due to simplicity of monorail it's just more obvious. But if someone has a suggestion how to fix it? I'm not a graphics guy my main interst with this mod was the physics/mechanics behind it.

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

Oh... But it could be a coal fired stirling engine, which drives a pump compressing air and jetting it out the back a high speed for propulsion which solves the problem that it is meant to be hovering... also, even if it can't be cart-cart collision, it would still be useful if you don't want booster rails, provided you can ride in it :-O
sapier wrote:@Inocudom I'm not quite sure but maybe you used too much booster rails. Once a cart is accelerated to much it'll crash to the floor thus being stopped. If this guess is true the issue should occur way more often the slower your server is.

@Dan Duncombe thats two suggestions :-) the second one being the complicated one
1) coal powered cart moving on its own. can be added .... but doesn't really fit to hovering monorail carts .. is it?
2) carts pushing each other. thats the difficult one. this would be at best solved in a generic way by adding entity <-> entity pushing to core. I don't think this will be added very soon.
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

You're aware that booster rails don't require mesecons? if mesecons isn't detected they'll always accelerate (at least if you never had mesecons in this world)