Doctor Who Mod (WIP) [GPLv3]

lkjoel

Doctor Who Mod (WIP) [GPLv3]

by lkjoel » Post

So I made a previous post about a TARDIS mod, until I realized that you can't really make only a TARDIS, without other dr. who elements inside.

Instead, I just decided to make an all-in-one dr who mod. Here's my ideas for what it'll contain:
  • Mobs: Weeping angels and Daleks (any other ideas?)
  • A rare drop from a mob would be a Timelord Watch. It allows you to control the TARDIS (also allows you to use a sonic screwdriver, create any timelord content, and use the cube of time). It also gives you timelord capabilities (I'll try to explain this later)
  • TARDIS, of course
  • Jethrik, or however you spell it, is scattered across the map. You gotta have the correct equipment to convert it though, of course
  • Sonic Screwdriver (with an API so that other mods can make their nodes "screwdriveable" :P)
Any other ideas?

I'm well aware of how hard it would be to implement this, so I'm really asking for your help. Many people said I would never finish the nether, but I did, because of your help. I hope this can work out too!

Okay, technical stuff now:
  • TARDIS
    • No fancy "look inside" feature (unless someone can show me how to do that in a mod), just simple "punch and get teleported to interior/exterior". Sorry...
    • You can lock the TARDIS, and whoever has a key for that TARDIS can lock/unlock it by punching it with the key (Update Likwid has suggested using a sonic screwdriver as a key)
    • It can't, of course, go through time xD (update Pythagoras mentioned that it can travel through the day (using /time))
    • The main control (teleport co-ordinates) are controlled (for now) by a tacky formspec (though theming might help :P)
    • Current levers inside the TARDIS:
      • Lock/Unlock
      • Brakes (turn them off if you don't want the famous "WHIIIIR WHIIIIIIIR" sound when you (de)materialize :P)
      • Thermal Cufflinks (is that how you write it?), when off, it will ignore the coordinates, and make the TARDIS materialize inside itself (reference to "Space and Time", a really funny minisode)
      • Shields, Enables someone to destroy the TARDIS (anything or anyone inside will be exterminated)
      • Gravity stabilizer, if on, it will let the TARDIS hover, if off, the TARDIS will obey gravity (if shields are off, and it's high above, the TARDIS can blow up)
      • Environment stabilizer, if on, it will clear the environment around the TARDIS so that it can materialize without being inside other blocks. If off and there would be blocks in the TARDIS, it simply doesn't materialize
  • Timelord watch
    • Looking into it (using it) will convert you into a timelord (i.e. set the meta-string "timelord" to "true" or something Update: jojoa1997 has suggested using a privilege instead of meta-strings)
    • Can also tell the time in a completely obfuscated way
  • Key to Time
    • Once you have all 4 converted keys to time, and you craft them together, you will have the key of time. With that, you are granted mod privileges, even if you are a normal user! (Does anyone else have an idea for what it can do? Would be sort of boring for mods lol)
  • Weeping angels
    • They turn to stone when you look at them
    • Only way to kill them would be to set a trap or use K-9
  • Timelord capabilities
    • You can regenerate 12 times throughout a life. You do not regenerate once you die, so the trick here is to regenerate just before you die
    • You can set your regeneration skins in your TARDIS
    • When you regenerate, you are sneaking
Github Page: https://github.com/MiJyn/minetest-dr-who

Progress:
  • TARDIS
    • [ \ ] Model and Textures (only have basic untextured nodebox)
    • [ X ] Teleportation to inner TARDIS
    • [ \ ] Levers
      • [ X ] Ready (the lever that starts the TARDIS)
      • [ X ] Thermal cufflinks
      • [ X ] Environment stabilizer (a bit buggy, because of the lack of being able to load a chunk in lua)
      • [ X ] Gravity stabilizer (see above)
      • [ X ] Brakes (yep, it makes the sound!)
      • [ ] Shields
      • [ ] Lock
    • [ \ ] Interior
      • [ \ ] Model (still working on it. I have a server for it, if anyone wants to help out! Ask for details in PM)
      • [ \ ] Custom Nodes
        • [ \ ] Flight controller
        • [ \ ] Flight computer
        • [ X ] Matrix and matrix protector
        • [ X ] "Eyeblock"
        • [ \ ] Lever/button
        • [ \ ] Center up/down thingy
  • Timelord Watch
    • [ ] Model and Textures
    • [ X ] Convert player to timelord
    • [ ] Let them drop from mobs (mobs aren't implemented yet!)
How it currently works:
Yeah, I know, what do you care, but I spent a lot of time trying to code it in an extra-cool way so even normal users can appreciate it :P. So whenever you press a lever, it sends a signal through conducting blocks (e.g. the console block), until it finds the computer (and sets it there). Same thing goes to the flight computer. I know, "You call that cool? Uhh...."... well, first of all, most mods just do it directly, but second, this isn't really the cool part.
The really cool part happens when you click the "Ready?" button. What happens then is that it sends signals to the computer, the matrix (the "spirit" controlling the TARDIS), and the center up/down thingy (no idea what it's really called), so that they can work in unison. The center piece creates power for the matrix (and sends it down), the computer takes in all the signals from the levers/buttons and converts them into a language that the matrix can understand (I called it Mlang, for Matrix Language, and I tried to base it on gallifreyan writing as much as possible!), and then sends it to the matrix. The matrix then reads the commands sent by the computer and does what it wants with it (usually follows it, unless, maybe, there is a distress signal or something).

It may not be state-of-the-art, but at least it works in real-life as much as possible (and I, at least, find that cool)! Now does this affect the user experience? Somewhat. This allows you to edit your TARDIS much more than what you would have been able to do without it.

License: GPLv3

Development videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlltRHOZ ... e=youtu.be

Development screenshots:

Banner (WIP):

Inner TARDIS (WIP, ignore the green node):

More TARDIS interior ("unknown block" is the flight controller):

Textured:

Revamped the console room :D

Thermal cufflinks were "dropped"! :O

TARDIS Exterior (No textures yet):
Last edited by lkjoel on Mon Apr 15, 2013 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
My mods: The Nether | Doctor Who (WIP)

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Actually, If you can find a good way to move the outer TARDIS around, the rest would be surprisingly easy!
All you'd have to do is save the coord's of tardises, and whe you enter them, have them teleport you to a pre-generated room at a pre-defined location and vice-versa.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Traxie21 wrote:Actually, If you can find a good way to move the outer TARDIS around, the rest would be surprisingly easy!
All you'd have to do is save the coord's of tardises, and whe you enter them, have them teleport you to a pre-generated room at a pre-defined location and vice-versa.
That's exactly what I was planning to do xD

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

socramazibi

by socramazibi » Post

lkjoel wrote:So I made a previous post about a TARDIS mod, until I realized that you can't really make only a TARDIS, without other dr. who elements inside.

Instead, I just decided to make an all-in-one dr who mod. Here's my ideas for what it'll contain:
  • Mobs: Weeping angels and Daleks (any other ideas?)
  • A rare drop from a mob would be a Timelord Watch. Until servers support changing of skins, all it will do is allow you to control a TARDIS or something
  • TARDIS, of course
  • Gethrite, or however you spell it, is scattered across the map. You gotta have the correct equipment to convert it though, of course
Any other ideas?

I'm well aware of how hard it would be to implement this, so I'm really asking for your help. Many people said I would never finish the nether, but I did, because of your help. I hope this can work out too!

I figured out some more technical aspects of the mod already, and I'll post them later.

+10 Daleks
Forgive my English, but it is the translator of google.My Spanish.
My mod:
Pictures wool 1.0 3x5 , Charcoal+Textures , Map

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

lkjoel wrote:ARE YOU WITH ME!?
Yes I am :D! I will help you since, I love Dr. Who It a epic show!
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:
lkjoel wrote:ARE YOU WITH ME!?
Yes I am :D! I will help you since, I love Dr. Who It a epic show!
I wrote that? O_o, and awesome!! Want to help model stuff? I'm currently working on some inner details :)

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

ARE YOU WITH ME!?

@Likwid H-Craft, you're a timelord!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Supreme Paradigm Dalek: You have been scanned. Assessed. Understood... Doctor.
Supreme Paradigm Dalek: The cracks in time are the work of the Doctor. It is confirmed!
The Doctor: No, no, no, not me, the TARDIS! And I'm not in the TARDIS, am I?
Dalek Paradigm Supreme: Only the Doctor could pilot the TARDIS.
The Doctor: Please! Listen to me!
Dalek Paradigm Supreme: You will be prevented!

Sure I help What you say to that, Dr?
The Doctor: Where's your joy in life? Where's your optimism? … Whenever you go into a new situation, you must always believe the best until you find out exactly what the situation's all about. Then, believe the worst.

*SIGH* Dr.
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Supreme Paradigm Dalek: You have been scanned. Assessed. Understood... Doctor.
Supreme Paradigm Dalek: The cracks in time are the work of the Doctor. It is confirmed!
The Doctor: No, no, no, not me, the TARDIS! And I'm not in the TARDIS, am I?
Dalek Paradigm Supreme: Only the Doctor could pilot the TARDIS.
The Doctor: Please! Listen to me!
Dalek Paradigm Supreme: You will be prevented!
Which episode was that from?

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

The Pandorica Opens
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:The Pandorica Opens
Oh yeah, right... love that one xD

By the way, we might want to move this to IRC or something (maybe on ##minetest-dr-who ?)
Last edited by lkjoel on Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Hey Well what me get back making a link for the TARDIS since it the main role. Oh and Do you like to see if you can, make the minecraft stuff I made in the past see if you, can link it to work like the models, and class stuff?

How do I use IRC?
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:06, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Hey Well what me get back making a link for the TARDIS since it the main role. Oh and Do you like to see if you can, make the minecraft stuff I made in the past see if you, can link it to work like the models, and class stuff?
Sure, I'd love to! Is the code open-source?

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

What you mean Open source? you mean free to use?
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:What you mean Open source? you mean free to use?
Well yes, but I was talking about the class stuff (I'm imagining you are referring to java code?). If it isn't, then I can always de-compile it :)

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Image
Wait... you are part of that dev team? WOW!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

I was -_- Until I lost My Minecraft User somehow, but Now I play Minecraft on Xbox 360 but I work, on alot of stuff, and now I hope we have the mod same on here maybe can, ask the Admin get in to, minetest and just maybe he will inport the mod.
My Domain's/others:

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Well You know what, we should have ours own Mod Forum and I make sure make you a Admin but first what will, we name ours Mod Forum?
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Well You know what, we should have ours own Mod Forum and I make sure make you a Admin but first what will, we name ours Mod Forum?
Is it specifically for this mod, or just for general mods?

Sorry for my late reply btw, was watching the TARDIS interior vids... wow... just wow... lol
Last edited by lkjoel on Sun Feb 10, 2013 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Yeah I know it looks epic.
It can before all, the mods we work make as a team. and we, can even host some contests.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Yeah I know it looks epic.
It can before all, the mods we work make as a team. and we, can even host some contests.
Awesome!! Can we discuss the name over chat (of any kind, got some contact info here: http://mijyn.github.com/contact.html)? Because if not the minetest forum mods will kill us lol

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Heres the Admin CP has yeah it has a chatbox and, live chat on the forum so no worrys. oh but I need a title for the forum so what you like, to call it?

What me think Dr. Minetest Mod Forum? lol!

My Domain's/others:

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Oh and yes I can inport the minetest IRC/Live chat if I know all the, stuff to make it work.
My Domain's/others:

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:Heres the Admin CP has yeah it has a chatbox and, live chat on the forum so no worrys. oh but I need a title for the forum so what you like, to call it?

What me think Dr. Minetest Mod Forum? lol!

Oh awesome! I guess my question was: Can we discuss the forum somewhere else than on the MT forums? Not that I have an issue with it, but I'm sure that some people would (you know, it's sort of off-topic... even though it's about MT mods). I have skype, gchat, or IRC if you care, and then once we have the name we can talk on the forum?