[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

r_kAY wrote:@rinoux your cow is pretty good but I was thinking more of a cartoon style animal. The design you have is nice maybe we can work together.
Yes I think is better to work together, we have to decide few things, like what kind of style. I prefer to find another way that Minecraft has chosen, a little bit more realistic... but that can be between realist/simple. What do you think ? (Maybe we can make another topic for that)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@r_kAY problem with 3d animals ain't primary that i needed help (i'd gladly accept it either). Reason why I didn't put more efforts in this topic is that I had a conversation with celeron and I don't think he wants to add the patches required to create 3d animals.

He wants to keep minetest simple for low performance clients.

And of course adding multiple entitys to one position to create a animal is a solution but clean way would be to add 3d-object loading and handling support to minetest

EDIT1:
why not have multiple graphics sets? There are texture packs for minetest I don't think it's a problem having more than one graphics set for animals too.

By now there is only one set of graphics (mine was actualy not more than spacers) if there are more candidates there probably will be an election for "default" animals graphics set.
Last edited by sapier on Sun Jan 08, 2012 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

r_kAY

by r_kAY » Post

@sapier I think it is a great idea to have different settings based on your systems capabilities. So if you have a lower performance computer you can still use the program without any problems, but we could also get people with higher end computers that could run things with more detail so they don't get bored. So maybe if it was added in the game itself the options could have a certain switch for 2d or 3d. Or you could just have two different downloads.
@rinoux I like that your animals are realistic, but I would like to add some details. I don't want to copy minecraft's animals. The only reason I would prefer animals with a more cartoon base is because the realistic features don't fit quite well. So I want to find a way to make it fit a little better.

MrThebuilder3

by MrThebuilder3 » Post

what about a mob that blows up when to close *cough* creeper *cogh*

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

maybe shape it like a bomb-bomb

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

MrThebuilder3

by MrThebuilder3 » Post

lol
Last edited by MrThebuilder3 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

mcburgerbob

by mcburgerbob » Post

lol IKR?
MY CAKE!

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I hated those creapers in minecraft but if anyone provides graphics I'll add it ;-) Won't be a big deal either all parts are already in just need to put it together a little bit different.

By the way did anyone encounter the plasma- and fireballs by now?
Last edited by sapier on Mon Jan 09, 2012 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

r_kAY

by r_kAY » Post

Do you want just a plan ole' creeper or a different style? and what size would be best

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

I thought about same size as the vampires. You'll find examples in templates folder too.

r_kAY

by r_kAY » Post

http://www.mediafire.com/?fxppw3bdtx4s6dn

That is just a quick sketch of one in a bomb shape.

rahonejm

by rahonejm » Post

creeper screenshot! creeper screenshot!
Sorry for possible language mistakes

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

like it its comical

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Melkor

by Melkor » Post

creeper!

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Just rewrote/modified movement generator now supporting jumping movement as well as flying movement. Both needed to add rats and fish.

I didn't add fishing rods by now but nets instead (you need it to catch rats as well)

There have been lots of changes to movement system so please tell me the bugs I added!

I didn't add all the fishes by now because of not knowing how to name them and didin't wannt to call them "fish1" "fish2" .... If anyone tells me names I'll add them next.

BTW current fish spawns in shallow water with dirt ground. I'd like to spawn the other fish in different environment so if anyone can provide reasonable habitat information for them I'd greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by sapier on Sun Jan 15, 2012 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

good job sapier..this is quite fast and light for many mobs working on my server at one time :)
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Thanks, glad to hear its working good. I didn't do performance tests in real life environment by now.

rahonejm

by rahonejm » Post

hey sapier, can you do some sort of "light" version of the mod? You know, a version that not so many animals spawn at the same time to don't lag everything, just like happens in my pc :(

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@rahonejm what exactly is the problem

a) to many animals in total
b) to many animals being added at once
c) something i didn't understand

"a" shouldn't happen because of the animal density (except of vampires)
and b shouldn't happen either as chances for adding an animal are really low (except of vampires too)

rahonejm

by rahonejm » Post

Well, when i start the server with animals mod, i must wait a very long time so all the animals can spawn. But then, even with all the animals spawned, i get very lagged (things like don't putting a block when you click, or blocks you've collected appear again) 'cause i can see in the console that every step that i do it appears: "Spawnig animals at blablablabla"
"Spawnig animals at blablablabla"
Hope you understood XD

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

oh I see this message is probably missleading, I'll change it in next release. I assume it's not really a spawn but activation of an animal. Entities are deactivated if noone is next to them in case of someone entering a chunk they get activated. But of cause all animals within this chunk at once. I don't have any control about this. I'll try to speedup this process but I ain't sure I can do much about this.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Can you use another filehosting service? mediafire works very strange without flash and when downloading through wget.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@neko259 I've already changed file hosting service to mediafire on someones request. I'm sorry but I assume if I change to another service it's just a matter of time till another one requests changing to next.

If you tell me where to put I probably add a secondary release option.

EDIT1:
@rahonejm
I've checked activation code and made minor changes for next version. But there are only two operations that probably need some time within activation.
One to workaround minetest not saving custom defined variables for entities. The other to workaround minetests inability to save data for a mod. I can't remove them without getting even worse problems so for now I'm sorry I don't se a chance to help you. But I'll try to find a way of course.
Last edited by sapier on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

sapier wrote:@neko259 I've already changed file hosting service to mediafire on someones request. I'm sorry but I assume if I change to another service it's just a matter of time till another one requests changing to next.

If you tell me where to put I probably add a secondary release option.
I like ompldr.com. It can give you direct link (useful when downloading from the server console) and you don't have to wait or enter any captchas :)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Another question: why use RMB for shearing? In minetest all the mods use LMB for using anything. It's a bit confusing and uncomfortable when different mods use different keys for the same operation.