HDX Textures (64 - 512 px) [git rolling release]

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

512x is as much as a small linux distro lol.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Yep, pretty much -- and you shoulda seen it *before* I made all the flat images into jpegs :-)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

Splizard
GitHub: Splizard
IRC: Splizard
In-game: Splizard

by Splizard » Post

VanessaE wrote:2013-02-21: Added support for snow mod :-)
Thanks!
Games: Builda City, The Hungry Games Mods: Lifters, Snow Biomes and Gates. Also checkout my texture pack Gridtoon!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-02-24: Added support for stained glass mod.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

doyousketch2
GitHub: doyousketch2
In-game: Sketch2

by doyousketch2 » Post

looks nice. 32 px seems to run faster than the default textures.

16 px gets rid of the glossy wrinkles tho, so they look like hollow ladder rungs.

16 and 32 Poison ivy are doing something strange:

one is sapling. I forget what size the other one is.
it might not be a fault of the textures, 'cuz I looked at them and they seem to be proper pictures.

it may be my video driver, so I'm not that worried about it at the moment.

most likely one or two of the colored pixels fall on the line where the image extends 3-dimensionally,
origami-style, where it should fold. instead it's stretching 'em out.

perhaps the texture-cache is offset by a pixel
and it's getting texture map memory from a neighboring image.

I'll try some higher-rez ones out later on and see if that has any diff effect.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Turn off your texture atlas. In minetest.conf:

enable_texture_atlas = false

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

2013-03-09: Lots of small to medium updates:

Made almost all 16px and 32px now PNG (scaled from the original 512px size and hand-edited as needed). Cropped lamplings and old obsolete mesecons images (all sizes). Fixed bad wool "flower" (all sizes), tweaked 16px Xpanes images slightly. Minor tweak to red grass side image. Made all 64px and larger jpgs higher quality. Partial update for latest Moreblocks (a few images need made yet).Swapped in correct resolution for default formspec images in all sizes. Tweaked a few 32px images (mostly swapped in some I already had prepared for the purpose), removed a bunch of redundant 32px images (i.e. where the original mod already has an equivalent).

adversity

by adversity » Post

Hi VanessaE,

First of all, I love your texture pack. It is awesome!

I have the 0.4.5 version of Minetest and a very recent build of mesecons installed. I noticed the pistons are using their default low quality textures as it appears their name within the mesecons addon was changed.

Have you or anyone else noticed this? I did not have this problem in 0.4.4 Minetest but I was also running a less recent copy of Mesecons - which is probably the reason.

At any rate, using your HD piston images, I have made some placeholder updated textures and will be happy to share them (as they really are yours anyway) if I am not the only one with this issue.

Thanks!

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

It's because my texture pack is a little out of date in a couple of places, most notably Mesecons and Home Decor. Indeed, a few texture filenames have changed in those mods, but more importantly some are being used a little differently than what my existing textures were made for. I'll get around to fixing it soon though.

adversity

by adversity » Post

Thanks VanessaE.

Again, using your textures, I did adjust to the current scheme for the pistons in Mesecons if you are interested in me giving you a copy. And if not, no problem as they are not as good as what you will do.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Sure, I'd be glad to. Just the 512px size will be enough (I have a script that scales them)

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Hey is there a remove the lines on the tools Vanessa?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

adversity

by adversity » Post

VanessaE wrote:Sure, I'd be glad to. Just the 512px size will be enough (I have a script that scales them)
I did not think about the different sizes you offer and thus the images I used were the one I had on my PC which are 256px size. Will that cause you difficulties?

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, it kinda would - I'm picky about image resolution and I can tell a 512px native from a 256->512px scaled version. No worries, I'll adapt the textures sooner or later. Not sure I'll be doing *anything* useful today though, given the date. :-)

adversity

by adversity » Post

VanessaE wrote:Actually, it kinda would - I'm picky about image resolution and I can tell a 512px native from a 256->512px scaled version. No worries, I'll adapt the textures sooner or later. Not sure I'll be doing *anything* useful today though, given the date. :-)
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Yeah, good day to take it easy. Thanks!

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Please update to current dev.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Nebucad

by Nebucad » Post

Hi Vanessa,
i'm new in minetest, i like it and i love your nice texture.

The installation was pretty easy, thanks to the equal name of texture (I tried to put them into "..//texture/all/" but than i deside, to change the original texture at its place).

After i mad all my work with the desired texture, i got lots of graphic error issue. I tried your hint with the minetest-config, but it didn't work for me. So i took a closer look at the debug file and figured out, that minetest didn't load one jpeg texture. I resolved the problem. i've chaged all texture jpegs file into png file and finally minetest load all missing textures. this worked for me fine so far.

after this i was thinking. Am I the only one with those jpeg's file problems, If yes what's wrong with my copy of minetest ver. 0.4.5?

The second question is, why aren't all texture only in png-format, if minetest have all those issues with loading it?

The third question, does the new texture get loaded, if i put them into the ..//texture/all folder, even when the original texture is still in the Mod folder? (after the rework, i figured out it would be handy if i hadn't change the location ;-))

the third question pop up, after i put some default texture into the default folder (../minestest_game/mods/..), e.g. "default_tool_broncesword" and errased the texture "moreores_tool_broncesword" at the mod moreores (../moreores/textures/..), well it didn't work. I got in game no texture loaded, even if i had those tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Btw. i noticed one game problem with default texture:

background texture: default_inventory; default_creative_inventory; default_inventory_chest; default_inventory_furnance

i put them into the default folder (../minetest_game/mods/default/..), back in game, i want to see how the new look, looks like, unfortunately the texture didn't load and the pop-up window got freezed after accessing the chest. the same thing happend after i open the furnance inventory. Perhaps a problem with minetest 0.4.5?

Thank you for your answer

My setup:
windows 8 64bit; I5-3570K@3.8GHz; 8GB RAM; ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB RAM

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Put your textures in "textures/all" instead.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Regarding why the jpegs didn't work for you, maybe your copy of Irrlicht (the graphical engine Minetest uses) is built without jpeg support. Normally such support is included.

Most textures are in jpeg format because they require far less space than png. I only use png format with images that have transparency, or where jpg results in unacceptable quality loss.

As to the inventory image freezing issue, I have no idea what causes that, unless you're talking about the brief 2-3 second hang when you first open it. This is due to a stupid design in the game engine, and is not cause by HDX (though the presence of this texture pack does make it worse).

When you delete an image from the mod it came with, the engine should still be able to find the image you replaced it with, as long as that image is in one of the directories that Minetest normally looks in (e.g. /home/yourname/.minetest/textures/all or the mod's textures/ folder, or whatever folder you configure the program to look in for textures).

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

How do Irrlicht works? how do you use it?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I don't do anything expressly with irrlicht with this texture pack, I just supply a bunch of large image files. The engine already knows how to use them.

Nebucad

by Nebucad » Post

thank your for your anwser.

I guess you're right with no jpeg support, but this doesn't concerns me anymore.

After i figured out how to fix this, i`m able to use every texture i wish to.

For one who have the same problems with jpeg it's easy to say just create an *.png file and put it into "//../texture/all/" folder.

I suggest you to use Photoshop (since PS2 is free to get). With the Web-export-option you can managed the filesize.

I resized all my texture to one standard size 128px X 128px.
This is working fine for me and gives me a nice balance between optic and filesize.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

I use The GIMP under Linux to do my image editing. Rather than resize the images, you should just download and use the 128px size directly.

Nebucad

by Nebucad » Post

VanessaE wrote:I use The GIMP under Linux to do my image editing. Rather than resize the images, you should just download and use the 128px size directly.
you're right.

actually i resized only image which are bigger than 128px in due of the quality lost. resizing a smal image would only cause ugly picture so i don't touch them at all.

I used a mixture of different texturepacks and add some own picture as well. Thats why i have had different image size at first place and started to resized them to one standard.

VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Several small updates over the past 24 hours (see git commit history for previous changes):
  • Fixed vertical mesecon wire cap images.
  • Fixed insulated mesecon wire textures, deleted incorrectedly-added 16px piston images.
  • Fixed textures for mesecons pistons, major improvements to appearance too.
  • Added the other colors of 3dforniture chairs (homedecor edition), renamed black textures to work with homedecor version.
  • Fixed homedecor door edges (some files missing, some named wrong).
  • Brought default doors up to date.
  • New images for mesecon pressure plates, took advantage this morning's 'more flexible texturing' commit in mesecons.
  • rename unknown_block.png -> unknown_node.png
  • Greatly improved appearance of some of homedecor's fences, added high-res textures for the corner ones and for the ones I missed before.
  • Added default snow/ice