Better torches

lalorobot

Better torches

by lalorobot » Post

Since 4.0 is in development could you implement it in it?

Well I would like that when you hold the item ( before using it) that they illuminate the surroundings that would be good in caves when you dont have a lot of torches
Mods make minetest even better and maybe getting better than minecraft with some time
my maps: http://c55.me/minetest/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1359

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

This wont happen as t can be done, but celeron wants the game to run on old pcs.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

There was a patch on the patchsets page for 0.3 which added this and it worked great on my system and a few other peoples but it didn't get merged upstream as It killed performance on older hardware (at least I think thats why celeron didn't merge it)

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I'd like to revive this suggestion, because I believe I have an idea for implementing it in a way that has minimal effect on performance:
  1. Allow entities to emit light, and change their textures to full brightness when they do.
  2. Render lighting from entities on the client, possibly limited to the closest N dynamic lights and/or only dynamic lights within a certain radius of the camera (even a max of 1 light within 10m would be good).
  3. Update server-side lighting calculations ONLY when an entity has maintained the same position and zero velocity for a configurable amount of time (perhaps 5 seconds default), or when the entity STOPS standing still after it has added its light to the environment.
This should provide enough functionality to satisfy people, yet not create excessive burden on the client, the server, or the network.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

lalorobot wrote:Since 4.0 is in development could you implement it in it?

Well I would like that when you hold the item ( before using it) that they illuminate the surroundings that would be good in caves when you dont have a lot of torches
i did that in dwarves game. and it really is killing the performance (not that badly, but it drops by 5-15 fps), but only as long as you hold it. and the dwarves game has separate torches for placing them.

i would be quite happy to see that feature done in some other way :)

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Dynamic lights should be added with C++, not Lua, Oblomov did that a while (more than a year) ago and it wasn't that slow IIRC (was only slow on low-spec hardware).

nomohakon
IRC: nomohakon
In-game: nomohakon

by nomohakon » Post

Calinou wrote:Dynamic lights should be added with C++, not Lua, Oblomov did that a while (more than a year) ago and it wasn't that slow IIRC (was only slow on low-spec hardware).
Meanig "fuck you older single-core notebooks"?
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." - Voltaire
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it." - Alan Moore, V for Vendetta
- - -
"To never die... and to conquer all, that is winning." ―Illyria

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

nomohakon wrote:Meanig "fuck you older single-core notebooks"?
I own a single-core notebook (with an Atom N455 to be exact). Of course this should be optional.
Last edited by Calinou on Wed Feb 27, 2013 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

lkjoel

by lkjoel » Post

Calinou wrote:
nomohakon wrote:Meanig "fuck you older single-core notebooks"?
I own a single-core notebook (with an Atom N455 to be exact). Of course this should be optional.
YES! I don't know why people always say "ignore feature XYZ", just because it can be slow. Shaders are very nice, and are optional. What's the issue with having that?
My mods: The Nether | Doctor Who (WIP)

I have quit minetest ... again. I am heavily unimpressed by both the game and the community.

TenPlus1
In-game: TenPlus1

by TenPlus1 » Post

Definitely add this as an option in the Settings menu and while the user is holding a torch illuminate the current area same as placing a torch would... This would make for great adventure maps :)

Dan Duncombe

by Dan Duncombe » Post

There have been mods for this already. They don't seem to work with the current Mt version though.
TenPlus1 wrote:Definitely add this as an option in the Settings menu and while the user is holding a torch illuminate the current area same as placing a torch would... This would make for great adventure maps :)
Some Mods: Castles Prefab Camouflage
My Games: Nostalgia Realtest Revamped
Servers: See above games.