Redcrab's server

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Sokomine wrote:Vast areas of the server are unclaimed and (apart from papyrus/clay gathering expeditions) untouched. Yet it feels as if the server is crowded. New players put their new homes somewhere alongside the road where they find unprotected spots. Players have to go further and further out for unprtected land while buildings are distributed more or less chaoticly around and seldom form something similar to a city. This to some degree always happens.

My suggestion would be to build a new road and protect the area alongside it. As many trustworthy players as possible ought to get privs to that area so that whenever a new player shows up and wants some ground he can be pointed there and doesn't have to fiddle with coordinates. The area ought to offer each player one small spot to build on with possibly some larger buildings thrown in so that it looks more like a city and not like a building you don't feel right building next to (a castle right next to a castle right next to furhter castles seems a bit odd and consumes too much land close to spawn).

Another approach would be to just build the road and disallow any protections larger than what self_protect offers. This might lead to a lot of chaos and most likely won't end up in any town where other players would like to build close to.

Maybe the best approach would be to build the road, add some parallel roads and protect the city center so that everyone can build at the borders of the city. Those players who seem halfway capable (that is, know how to build something with at least two materials) could get small spots closer to the city center.

What are your opinons on this?

How about someone get enormous unprotected area near spawn connected to spawn by big roads and separated in to many pieces by roads then give one piece of land to any new players. Maybe put chests with starting materials in each piece of land (about 50x50x100 or 20x20x100) covered in dirt so new players can start building or search for materials faster. I am willing to pay for unused land someone owns if they want money.
Last edited by ch98 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

Devil's Throne Room(tell me what you think everyone):

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Get busy Living or Get busy Dying" ~Alexander Supertramp

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

Ok, hell at bottom of world is done.
Now, haven at top of world. :)

If you want you can use our 8k tower near spawn, you are granted as subowner.
Nope

AspireMint
GitHub: AspireMint
IRC: AspireMint
In-game: AspireMint

by AspireMint » Post

Maybe black walls? (black, red, orange wool as fire) and list of banned players ^^
"Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts."

"There's 🧁for you, 🧁for me, 🧁for sale, 🧁for free"

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass, and I've just finished my milk!" ― Maurice Moss

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

cactuz_pl wrote:Ok, hell at bottom of world is done.

sweet thx, its gonna take a lot but ill get it done, i just wish we were at 30900 at least
btw everyone, that lava was all placed by hand, i died like 20 times

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

AspireMint wrote:Maybe black walls? (black, red, orange wool as fire) and list of banned players ^^
that actually sounds pretty cool ill work on that first

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Why don't you own 100 block or so of the bottom so no one can dig there and go there crashing the server. Also, make rules about how high you can go and how far you can go.
Last edited by ch98 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 23:24, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

On one of the computers I often use Minetest will not work, it won't open. Any reasons why? The computer has Windows 7 and only a couple of years old.
My username tells almost everything about me.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

ch98 wrote: How about someone get enormous unprotected area near spawn connected to spawn by big roads and separated in to many pieces by roads then give one piece of land to any new players. Maybe put chests with starting materials in each piece of land (about 50x50x100 or 20x20x100) covered in dirt so new players can start building or search for materials faster. I am willing to pay for unused land someone owns if they want money.
50x50 might be too big close to spawn. Maybe we ought to stick to 16x32 (or whatever the size was selfprotection works with). Chests would require either manual placement or a mod. Doesn't look as if we might get new mods installed soon, so you have to rely on manual placement and the hope that only new players will take the content.
Paying for land is not necessary. Everyone ought to get as much as he/she can built on. Just close to spawn we'll have to stick to smaller areas for each player so that there's enough room for everyone.
I've started the road/tunnel westward. If anyone has a project running in the area the street now covers please tell.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

ch98 wrote:

Why don't you own 100 block or so of the bottom so no one can dig there and go there crashing the server. Also, make rules about how high you can go and how far you can go.
me or cactuz?

ch98

by ch98 » Post

Neuro wrote:
ch98 wrote:

me or cactuz?
cactuz. he can get that area himself.

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

I can't, there are a lot of areas which starts from-32000, areas can't overlap.
Nope

redcrab

by redcrab » Post

Announcement

"Online player list" feature URL update:

"Most Online Players" statistic is available at

http://minetestbb.suret.net/online.html

First post "online player" URL updated.

Enjoy
0.4 for serious builder click here
Dedicated Minetest redcrab server forum at http://minetestbb.suret.net

It's nice to be important but it is more important to be nice.

Foobar

by Foobar » Post

Wow, a redcrab sighting.

People have been trying to reach you for some time; please check your forum PMs.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Redcrab! We've been missing you. Glad you're back!

There are a few mods which would be very helpful on your server. Some where written specificly for it!
* travelnet - a very needed mod because it allows much easier travelling. In contrast to teleporters, it does not scan for players but works entirely passive. The mod would allow to make far away map sections more accessible (i.e. build a town for new players where there is enough space; visit those great constructions some players built several thousand nodes away from spawn without having to press w+e for several minutes).
* redsand - a mod that introduces (among other less important things) a /msg command for private communication
* circular saw makes handling of stairs+-nodes a lot easier
* locks shared locked chests which facilitate exchange of items (maybe without the locked doors)
* node_ownership needs some improvements - mostly so that all things can be done while the player is offline and - in emergencys (gravel+sand dropped on paths by a bug) - things corrected in owned areas

Mods that may require some slight simple modifications:
* beds or papyrus_bed - just remove the sethome-function of them if you don't like it! And maybe the automatic placement of the other end of the bed as well. The main functionality required is decoration.
* darkage The blocks it adds fit very well into the world and allow nice constructions. The on_generated part ought to be removed (the map is too large for such things by now) and be replaced with simple crafting functions for the basic materials
* paintings/gemaelde (very decorative)
* farming/farming_plus would be great (only problem are the on-generated-trees which would be difficult to get)
* technic stripped of mesecons and pipeworks would be great as well
Also there have been updates on homedecor, moreblocks and moreores.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

Foobar needs to be removed as a moderator, he IP banned my computer cuz Z protected my highway with self protect for me so they would stop connecting it to DC i have disconnected it and want it to stay that way

Foobar

by Foobar » Post

Neuro wrote:Foobar needs to be removed as a moderator, he IP banned my computer cuz Z protected my highway with self protect for me so they would stop connecting it to DC i have disconnected it and want it to stay that way
Neuro, what you did is beyond disingenuous.

Sokomine and I both stated that others should be allowed to connect to your highway. You wouldn't listen, and then you last resort was to log-in with an alternate account to protect the area you'd removed.

I rollbacked your actions and IP-banned Z_Koner. It's nobody's fault but your own that you're IP-banned, because you decided to flout the advice of the other players on the server and attempt to force your opinion on others via protection.

I've contacted cactuz to remove the protection. Maliciously protecting something is deserving of a permanent ban in my eyes, but I'll leave that at cactuz's discretion.

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

Foobar wrote:
Neuro wrote:Foobar needs to be removed as a moderator, he IP banned my computer cuz Z protected my highway with self protect for me so they would stop connecting it to DC i have disconnected it and want it to stay that way
Neuro, what you did is beyond disingenuous.

Sokomine and I both stated that others should be allowed to connect to your highway. You wouldn't listen, and then you last resort was to log-in with an alternate account to protect the area you'd removed.

I rollbacked your actions and IP-banned Z_Koner. It's nobody's fault but your own that you're IP-banned, because you decided to flout the advice of the other players on the server and attempt to force your opinion on others via protection.

I've contacted cactuz to remove the protection. Maliciously protecting something is deserving of a permanent ban in my eyes, but I'll leave that at cactuz's discretion.
its not my alternate account idiot i dont have one, my friend logged in and protected it for me, and if your leaving it up to cpl then you must unban me. btw thnx for finally getting it right "your highway." he lives with me most of the time and his comp cant handle minetest so he comes here i have done nothing wrong. also only the owner of an area can remove protection cactuz has said so himself
Last edited by Neuro on Thu Feb 28, 2013 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Foobar

by Foobar » Post

Neuro wrote:its not my alternate account idiot i dont have one, my friend logged in and protected it for me, and if your leaving it up to cpl then you must unban me. btw thnx for finally getting it right "your highway." he lives with me most of the time and his comp cant handle minetest so he comes here i have done nothing wrong. also only the owner of an area can remove protection cactuz has said so himself
Whether you or your supposed friend did it is immaterial. The point is that you, or far less likely somebody acting on your behalf, protected an area that was disputed so that you could make your opinion "win" over Sokomine, crashmonkey and I, not to mention the other, absent users who have built things next to the highway.

For that, I IP-banned Z_Koner and I've asked cactuz to log into the account later to remove the malicious protection. Self-protection is never to be used as a club and for your using it as such, you now face consequences.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Just saying, not to anyone in particular, but only cactuz_PL and redcrab have power over moderators. No matter how long or well respected you are, that doesn't make a difference. Just an opinion, please don't hate on me for saying that.
Back from the dead!

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

Foobar wrote:
Neuro wrote:its not my alternate account idiot i dont have one, my friend logged in and protected it for me, and if your leaving it up to cpl then you must unban me. btw thnx for finally getting it right "your highway." he lives with me most of the time and his comp cant handle minetest so he comes here i have done nothing wrong. also only the owner of an area can remove protection cactuz has said so himself
Whether you or your supposed friend did it is immaterial. The point is that you, or far less likely somebody acting on your behalf, protected an area that was disputed so that you could make your opinion "win" over Sokomine, crashmonkey and I, not to mention the other, absent users who have built things next to the highway.

For that, I IP-banned Z_Koner and I've asked cactuz to log into the account later to remove the malicious protection. Self-protection is never to be used as a club and for your using it as such, you now face consequences.
i face no such consequences he protected it cuz its rightfully mine you and your friends can build elsewhere, and you must unban me if you are leaving it up to cactuz, i did nothing wrong nor did Z he protected an unprotected area, which is fair game and because he did you banned him, that sir is a majorly UNJUST ban

Foobar

by Foobar » Post

Neuro wrote:i face no such consequences he protected it cuz its rightfully mine you and your friends can build elsewhere, and you must unban me if you are leaving it up to cactuz, i did nothing wrong nor did Z he protected an unprotected area, which is fair game and because he did you banned him, that sir is a majorly UNJUST ban
I can see this inane back-and-forth is getting nowhere, so I'll spell it out for you.

Sokomine and I were trying to talk to you. We both advised that, having had your road connected to Desert City, unprotected, for over a month, it's unreasonable to expect people to know it's a "private" road which nobody else can attach to (and that the very concept of private roads makes little sense on a public server).

Your response was to repeatedly insist that you owned the road, that others needed to build a separate road, and finally when that wasn't convincing people, you decided to subvert the discussion by protecting the area after removing a section of the road.

Neuro

by Neuro » Post

Foobar wrote:
Neuro wrote:i face no such consequences he protected it cuz its rightfully mine you and your friends can build elsewhere, and you must unban me if you are leaving it up to cactuz, i did nothing wrong nor did Z he protected an unprotected area, which is fair game and because he did you banned him, that sir is a majorly UNJUST ban
I can see this inane back-and-forth is getting nowhere, so I'll spell it out for you.

Sokomine and I were trying to talk to you. We both advised that, having had your road connected to Desert City, unprotected, for over a month, it's unreasonable to expect people to know it's a "private" road which nobody else can attach to (and that the very concept of private roads makes little sense on a public server).

Your response was to repeatedly insist that you owned the road, that others needed to build a separate road, and finally when that wasn't convincing people, you decided to subvert the discussion by protecting the area after removing a section of the road.
i didnt protect it it wasnt even my idea to have him do that it was his, i told him go for it and see what happens, i didnt expect you to IP ban someone for protecting an unprotected area which is completely unjust and needs to be undone, ill have him remove the area but you have to unban my IP, its not his IP its mine he doesnt go on his comp for minetest he goes on mine

HELLO_IM_DEATH

by HELLO_IM_DEATH » Post

rubenwardy wrote:

Area Protection

for Saren Estate and my castle.
SAREN ESTATES IS NOT YOURS SO NO!
Veteran Builder, Modern,medieval,futuristic types Hey Guys My MineTest Name Is HELLO_IM_DEATH or Death if you see me just say hey bro i hope to see everyone cause i like friendly people. :D

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

HELLO_IM_DEATH wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:

Area Protection

for Saren Estate and my castle.
SAREN ESTATES IS NOT YOURS SO NO!
As with many other disputes, please provide evidence.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.