Minetest 0.4.5 released!

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

Minetest 0.4.5 released!

by PilzAdam » Post

Hello everyone!
Finally after the long time without any release Minetest 0.4.5 is here!
Some changes are a new mese system (mese is now a crystal), a new public server list and many new translations.
We hope that you enjoy the new release.

Download: http://minetest.net/download.php
Sourcecode: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/tree/0.4.5 & https://github.com/minetest/minetest_game/tree/0.4.5
Changelog: http://dev.minetest.net/Changelog
celeron55's block post: http://c55.me/blog/?p=1436

Additional note: A password related bug in 0.3 was found and fixed. So there is a 0.3.3 release too.
0.3.3 Sourcecode: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/tree/stable-0.3
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

I'm trying but something goes wrong ..
Installation ok or nearly so, during the installation (compiled from source on debian 7) I got this message:
minetest-0.4.5/src/emerge.cpp: 244:10: warning: deleting object of abstract class type 'MapgenParams' which has non-virtual destructor will cause undefined behavior [-Wdelete-non-virtual-dtor]
also:
Launching a game without installing / games / mods / default in a creative session everything runs fine.
Otherwise, installing default or other (copied from the previous version): launching the game in normal mode the screen is black, you can only see the life bar (but very distorted). Upon closing the terminal returns:
segmentation error
and client crash

bug? I'm wrong?
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

pandaro wrote:I'm trying but something goes wrong ..
Installation ok or nearly so, during the installation (compiled from source on debian 7) I got this message:
minetest-0.4.5/src/emerge.cpp: 244:10: warning: deleting object of abstract class type 'MapgenParams' which has non-virtual destructor will cause undefined behavior [-Wdelete-non-virtual-dtor]
also:
Launching a game without installing / games / mods / default in a creative session everything runs fine.
Otherwise, installing default or other (copied from the previous version): launching the game in normal mode the screen is black, you can only see the life bar (but very distorted). Upon closing the terminal returns:
segmentation error
and client crash

bug? I'm wrong?
So what do you do exactly?
You use the default mod from the 0.4.4 release?
And you can simply ignore the warnings.
Last edited by PilzAdam on Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

So what do you do exactly?
play 0.4.5, but my screen is black
You use the default mod from the 0.4.4 release?
i'm not sure...can you link me?
And you can simply ignore the warnings.
No...if i try to make my stupid mods... i'm not sure if client crash for my error or for other...
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Try using my one-line script, it'll install 0.4.5 (which is the latest in the Git repository):
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3837

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

What, no Ubuntu version yet?

I guess I can wait a bit longer.

EDIT: Never mind. It seems you also posted links to the frozen source code. I'll just use that.

Not all us Linux users will compile though, so it would be nice if the Linux packages were released.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:33, edited 1 time in total.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Glad to hear it! Looking forward to installing this on all systems. It really is a big leap from 0.4.4 to 0.4.5!
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

Josh

by Josh » Post

Yay! Any new gameplay features?

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

the gameplay stuf is somewhere in here http://dev.minetest.net/Changelog
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

vv221

by vv221 » Post

0gb.us wrote:Not all us Linux users will compile though, so it would be nice if the Linux packages were released.
It's as simple as "git clone git://github.com/minetest/minetest.git && cd minetest && cmake . && make && make install" ;)

-----

The changelog reads about a Calionu's version and a « nameless » one… What does that mean ?
Last edited by vv221 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 03:19, edited 1 time in total.

BorisGrishenko

by BorisGrishenko » Post

What happened to the sound effects?
Hi, I'm this guy at his home somewhere in a very hot place.
Currently working on houses based in real and virtual worlds.
Judge Minister Claude Frollo should be a Disney Prince.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Not sure about 0.4.5, but I tried a Win32 build from a few days ago (most of my boxes run Linux) and had no sound at first. For some reason sound DID work with the 0.4.4 release version, but for PilzAdam's build of a dev version I had to go download the OpenAL library separately to get sound working again. Maybe the official 0.4.4 build came with a version of OpenAL bundled?

Also see http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3829 and make sure the new in-game volume control is high enough.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Wed Mar 06, 2013 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

vv221 wrote:
0gb.us wrote:Not all us Linux users will compile though, so it would be nice if the Linux packages were released.
It's as simple as "git clone git://github.com/minetest/minetest.git && cd minetest && cmake . && make && make install" ;)

-----

The changelog reads about a Calionu's version and a « nameless » one… What does that mean ?
Don't tell me, I already compiled it. But being a Linux user doesn’t automatically make one comfortable with the command line or compiling. There is one Windows user in my family (who constantly has computer issues), and the rest of us use Linux. Of us four Linux users, guess how many of us even have any idea what compiling or even the command line are? Just one. Me. There have been Linux packages in the past, and it would be nice to see that tradition continued.

Being a Linux user just means being intelligent enough to see that Windows is a piece of garbage. It doesn't necessary imply having even mild computer skills.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Wed Mar 06, 2013 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

There are daily packages built on Launchpad, you can use these. A bit easier than compiling, but harder than just installing Minetest through the software center/Synaptic/command line. ;)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

At least for Ubuntu, the one in the software center is out of date (it's version 0.3.1), an the daily unstable build is, well, unstable.

You know what? I'm going to quit complaining and do something about it. There are THREE people maintaining Windows versions in the forum, and none maintaining Linux versions. I don't know how to build packages, but I can build and distribute run-in-place versions like they do. I'll compile overnight, and post it in the morning. If people see it as useful, I'll do it again for 0.4.6, otherwise, I'll stop.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Will you supply all necessary dependencies for Linux version or people will have to download them beforehand?

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

@0gb.us, if you run this:

Code: Select all

sudo cpack . -GDEB
Right in the source directory, it will create a .deb package out of it. Dunno if the package contains the info about other packages required by Minetest.
Of course, there are other formats as well. See the cpack documentation for more info.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

4aiman wrote:Will you supply all necessary dependencies for Linux version or people will have to download them beforehand?
Hmm. That is a very good question. To not supply them would be to defeat the entire purpose, but supplying them requires users to figure out where to unpack them to. It would be easier without my builds ....
kaeza wrote:@0gb.us, if you run this:

sudo cpack . -GDEB
Right in the source directory, it will create a .deb package out of it. Dunno if the package contains the info about other packages required by Minetest.
Of course, there are other formats as well. See the cpack documentation for more info.
Awesome, that sounds like just what I need! Although the use of sudo seems a bit dubious ...

With or without sudo though, I get an error.

CPack Error: CPack generator not specified
I'll look into this tomorrow. I already should have been asleep hours ago.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

kaeza wrote:Dunno if the package contains the info about other packages required by Minetest.
AFAIK it won't if there are no info on dependencies in your system. But that can be fetched from v0.3.1 got from repos.

xyz

by xyz » Post

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

I built an Ubuntu/Debian package a few days ago, but I'm not completely satisfied with the dependencies. The build system decided I needed the packages for my particular video driver, and I'm not sure how to fix that. Also I didn't include all the copyright info and stuff that you'd want to put into a real install package, because the point was just to be able to install on a couple systems at home. Anyway, it's not too difficult if someone wants to fiddle with it a bit:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

The one tricky bit was editing the rules file to use cmake, but that's really not too difficult either. I added the lines (with the indents being a tab, not spaces):

override_dh_auto_configure:
    cmake . -DRUN_IN_PLACE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr

# Don't know what to do here with CMake yet
override_dh_auto_clean:
    echo 'Skipping auto clean'
As you can see I'm not sure how to do the clean with cmake. Heh. My solution was just to copy the debian directory out and start from a fresh source directory each time if I needed to recompile (which I really only needed to do once to fix that very problem with cleaning).
Last edited by prestidigitator on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

@xyz:
And?...
I mean, what's your point?
"DO use RPM"?
Then I must warn anyone, that alien do not always work well converting some package. Well, if minetest would be tested with alien on a number of Debian-based distros, then it's Ok to have RPM.
But we have Slax users and also those, who "don't like to install anything" (TM, I presume).
Last edited by 4aiman on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:45, edited 1 time in total.

xyz

by xyz » Post

4aiman wrote:@xyz:
And?...
I mean, what's your point?
"DO use RPM"?
You totally missed my point. I actually wanted someone to build binaries (not .rpm packages) that are only dynamically-linked to libraries specified in LSB standard. All other libraries must be embedded (static). That'd produce a binary working in most modern GNU/Linux environments (though it'd be better just to build packages for every existing distro, anyone?).

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

If this would mean that we don't have to install libraries to run MT, then YES.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

If you wanna build a deb package (also works for rpm and I think slackware also), use "checkinstall". It's included in most distro repositories these days and is very easy to use. Command-line driven, can be interactive or not, as needed.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)