Redcrab's server

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

cactuz_pl wrote:I think bots is great idea, but what these bots will able to do? (except digging and placing blocks)

I don't think we need such on server. Greifers could use it to digging everything what isn't protected, or killing random players.
The real purpose is road-building, and helping build large structures from inputs such as CAD. Also, the bots are already on GitHub, so unfortunately, I now have to figure out a method of enforcement.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

rarkenin wrote:Cactuz_pl: I recently inquired about bots, and Foobar said he was OK with deploying them by September, but he told me to consult you first, so could you please explain whether you will allow or disallow them? These are the bots in question.
I can't decide, this is redcrab's server.

My opinion:
-Bots shouldn’t be able to attack.
-There should be some kind of mod which allows connect bot-cilients, so admin can decide.
Last edited by cactuz_pl on Fri Mar 08, 2013 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Nope

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

cactuz_pl wrote:I can't decide, this is redcrab's server.
Bots do not have the ability to send punches to entities.

As for the second, anyone can just take that bit out of the source, but I think that it should wither require that running /botsallowed gives an infostring(Ill work on that), or the MOTD gives an infostring.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

rarkenin wrote: The real purpose is road-building, and helping build large structures from inputs such as CAD.
There are some players that are excellent roadbuilders. Some of them are not so good as builders of more house-like structures, so taking that away and giving it to a bot might not always be such a good idea. Importing large buildings is certainly intresting. Only..it makes a huge difference if a building was erected block by block, done with worldedit-like commands or simply imported from someone elses blueprints. The amount of work needed is vastly different. As is the load for the server.

What about griefing by accident? It is hard enough to keep my random_buildings from destroying other things (they check the area where they want to appear first and give up if supposedly "non-natural" blocks are found). Protection isn't the solution since not all areas are protected. Players are usually intelligent enough to see if anything *might* have been built by another player. An algorithm would have a hard time finding that out.

Human players have to be able to identify bots easily (perhaps with a nametag or a command), each bot needs a player who owns him, and the player is to be held fully responsible for the actions of his bot - it is as if the player did it himshelf.

While the idea of bots is very intresting, I don't think Redcrabs server is the right place for them. Please deploy them first on a server where the server owner can actually be reached and intervene in case something goes wrong.

A question aside: How did you implement the building of large structures? Without fly and noclip, that might be difficult. I'm searching for a build-algorithm that is better than the one found in towntest.
A list of my mods can be found here.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Sokomine wrote: A question aside: How did you implement the building of large structures? Without fly and noclip, that might be difficult. I'm searching for a build-algorithm that is better than the one found in towntest.
It's actually based on the principle of the operation of a 3d printer. It has trouble bridging certain gaps and uses strategies such as overbuilding. It builds layers up in a staircase like pattern os it can jump up and covers overhngs using its built in equivalent of sneaking just over an edge.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

@rarkenin: Sounds very intresting! Can you feed worldedit blueprints to it already? And is the algorithm fast enough to be used server-side in lua?
@rest: Sorry for the off-topic.
A list of my mods can be found here.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Sokomine wrote:@rarkenin: Sounds very intresting! Can you feed worldedit blueprints to it already? And is the algorithm fast enough to be used server-side in lua?
@rest: Sorry for the off-topic.
No, it takes its own blueprints, and is painfully annoying. But I can provide pseudocode when I have time. It also doesn't work perfectly and sometimes violates physics.
Last edited by rarkenin on Fri Mar 08, 2013 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

KoalaBear

by KoalaBear » Post

Would anyone be willing to create a new city with me?
Yolo :)

whiteboyswag

by whiteboyswag » Post

can i please have this area protected under whiteboyswag -248,11,1792 -259,22,1801
White boys can have swag also.

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

BAGPIPE wrote:Can I have 880,0,268 to 782,100,428 protected under BAGPIPE It will be my 2nd protection. I'm building my own privet city here. So far I have one building and the roads built. Thanks
Reminder Above,

I've been thinking about the teleporting mod requests and while I think it would be great to get around quicker it would be a lot easier to find clay and papyrus at first, but you would have to walk farther an farther to find them when not using teleport. I don't exactly how the map gen bug works but wouldn't this mod make the bug even worse? I would like the carts. Also with no teleporting people should create more roads and more direct roads to get places.
My username tells almost everything about me.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

With Sokomine's travelnet mod, there would be no additional load on the map generator, because you have to place a receiver box at every region you'd routinely want to teleport to, hence you have to explore to that area first anyway.
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

KoalaBear

by KoalaBear » Post

Bots have trouble written all over them...

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

KoalaBear wrote:Bots have trouble written all over them...
Can you be more specific? I'm trying to incorporate safeguards.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

Sokomine wrote:
rarkenin wrote: The real purpose is road-building, and helping build large structures from inputs such as CAD.
A question aside: How did you implement the building of large structures? Without fly and noclip, that might be difficult. I'm searching for a build-algorithm that is better than the one found in towntest.
The codes that do fly and noclip are client side, not server side.
You can override them by replacing the check privilages line in the core with true.

Code: Select all

bool can_fly = true; //gamedef->checkLocalPrivilege("fly");
So this means that the problem is not whether they have fly privs, but if the programmer wants to make them legit builders or not.

Note: Drugs are bad. Hacked clients are bad.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Note: Drugs are bad. Hacked clients are bad.
You do realize that one of this server's more respected members openly uses a hacked client, right? I won't say who, in case they aren't as open about it as I think they are, but I think Redcrab knows. I doubt this server has a problem with hacked clients.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

0gb.us wrote:
You do realize that one of this server's more respected members openly uses a hacked client, right?
Wow, I am surprised.
Last edited by rubenwardy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hello profile reader

BAGPIPE

by BAGPIPE » Post

Isn't the purpose of Minetest is to build and create things, not have things built for you?
My username tells almost everything about me.

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

Sorry but you should talk about bot-client here: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4964 Please.
Last edited by cactuz_pl on Sat Mar 09, 2013 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Nope

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

cactuz_pl wrote:Sorry but you should talk about bot-client here: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4964 Please.
Yeah, please move all discussion to that thread as I am subscribed to it. This is really more for this server. And yes, the server has very weak physics. Gravity is weakened slightly, but there is no outright fly and no noclip at all.

Anyway, I also plan to use it for mining if that is OK.

KoalaBear

by KoalaBear » Post

rubenwardy wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
You do realize that one of this server's more respected members openly uses a hacked client, right?
Wow, I am surprised.
You seriously didnt know this?

KoalaBear

by KoalaBear » Post

Is anyone interested in creating an arena for a minetest version of the Walls?

SinbadShalazar

by SinbadShalazar » Post

Built a Nyan cat at -1123,35,-1058 (Noogah's town)

Last edited by SinbadShalazar on Mon Mar 11, 2013 07:59, edited 1 time in total.

rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

KoalaBear wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
Wow, I am surprised.
I don't particularly go around player's houses to check if their computer uses a hacked client...

Is it AspireMint?
Last edited by rubenwardy on Mon Mar 11, 2013 13:14, edited 1 time in total.

Hello profile reader

cactuz_pl

by cactuz_pl » Post

rubenwardy wrote:Is it AspireMint?
No, not AM, but I have hacked client too.

I changed source code (with help, I'm programming noob), now I can see others cords and how far they are from me.

I think that hacking is not bad as long as we do not do the harm to others.

Btw: That was one of my first mod ideas. http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=2324
Last edited by cactuz_pl on Mon Mar 11, 2013 14:14, edited 1 time in total.
Nope

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

KoalaBear wrote:
rubenwardy wrote:
0gb.us wrote:
Wow, I am surprised.
Um, HOW can I find this out?!