[Modpack] Survival ModPack [0.1.2][survival_mp]

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

[Modpack] Survival ModPack [0.1.2][survival_mp]

by kaeza » Post

Survival Mod for Minetest

This mod adds new hazards to the survival aspect of the game.
Currently, this adds hunger, thirst, and drowning, and a hazard suit. It's planned to add stamina (tiredness), and temperature in the future.

License:
BSD 2 Clause License. See the file `LICENSE.txt' for more information.

Dependencies:

Latest Changes:
Stable Version:
  • Added Lua HUD support.
Development Version:
Click here to see the commit log.

The survival_drowning mod is a modified version of the drowning mod by randomproof.
The survival_hunger mod was written from scratch inspired by the existing hunger mod by Casimir.
The survival_hazards mod is a modified version of my old Lava Suit mod, using changes suggested by PilzAdam.

Links:
Download stable version - Works on Minetest 0.4.7 and later.

Old versions:
Download old version - Works on Minetest 0.4.6 and later.

Latest development version:
NOTE: May contain features incompatible with Minetest 0.4.7 stable.
Download
Browse Code

Screenshots:
Bubbles appear while underwater:

The Hazard Suit allows you to dive in lava for a limited amount of time (~12 secs with the default settings):

Installing

Unpack the modpack into one of the directories where Minetest looks for mods.
For more information, see http://wiki.minetest.com/wiki/Installing_mods

See the respective mods' README.txt for information about technical aspects
of the implementation and known bugs.

Configuring

The mod can be configured by means of a `survival_lib.conf' file. This file is read first from the survival_lib mod's directory, and then from the current world directory (so you can have different settings per world).
Options set in `survival_lib/survival_lib.conf' override the defaults, and those set in <worlddir>/survival_lib.conf' override these, so you can specify global defaults in the mod dir, and override those settings in the world dir.

See `survival_lib.conf.example' for an example of what can be configured.
Last edited by kaeza on Thu Jun 20, 2013 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

I got some survival stuff you can use :D
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

qwrwed
In-game: qwrwed or Nitro

by qwrwed » Post

kaeza wrote:The survival_drowning mod is a modified version of the drowning mod by [who?].
Probably randomproof.

socramazibi

by socramazibi » Post

Good Mod , + 10.
Forgive my English, but it is the translator of google.My Spanish.
My mod:
Pictures wool 1.0 3x5 , Charcoal+Textures , Map

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

You should add sprinting where you hold e and do not have fast mode on. Then you run half as fast as fast move and your stamina decreases
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

qwrwed wrote:
kaeza wrote:The survival_drowning mod is a modified version of the drowning mod by [who?].
Probably randomproof.
tis randomproof

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Maybe better to define the known_foods by adding it to that mods group. So foods nodes should have "food" or "eatable" group. Same for drinks. That way you do not have to define all the nodes your mod supports. And other mods can easily make compatible mods.

Suddenly I die of thirst or hunger. I do not get a warning as my thirst, carbon-dioxide and hunger increases? What about a warning more ahead of time.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Bas080 wrote:Maybe better to define the known_foods by adding it to that mods group. So foods nodes should have "food" or "eatable" group. Same for drinks. That way you do not have to define all the nodes your mod supports. And other mods can easily make compatible mods.

Suddenly I die of thirst or hunger. I do not get a warning as my thirst, carbon-dioxide and hunger increases? What about a warning more ahead of time.
Ah... Forgot to tell.
You can craft gauges (tools). By putting them in your hotbar, you can see how much left you have. Craft them like this:

Code: Select all

-W-
WMW
-W-
Where 'W' is wood, and 'M' depends on the gauge: glass for Oxygen, Apple for Hunger, Water Bucket for Thirst.
I will be uploading soon a new version, as it seems the current timer scheme gets f*cked up when the game lags.
Edit: In case you did not notice, you can craft "Glass of Water" (survival_thirst:water_glass) by crafting a vessels:drinking_glass, and crafting it with a bucket of water (you get the bucket back).
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Feb 18, 2013 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Finally added Lava Suit (renamed to Hazard Suit). It provides a simple API to register new "hazardous" nodes.
Mod is now on Github.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Added screenshots to first post.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

please make all of this shutoff when creative mod is on
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

I think you should add these to the list of supported mods (I've listed all the foods from the ones I'm actually using right now):

Simple Mobs ("mobs"):
mobs:meat

Additional Mobs ("my_mobs"): (can't have more than one link...)
(I don't know, you'll have to check for this one)

Fishing Mod ("fishing"):
fishing:fish_raw, fishing:fish, fishing:sushi

Cactus Mod ("cactusmod"):
cactusmod:cactus_fruit

Nature Pack: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=729

Also, I think it would be a good idea to let the thirst mod be satisfied by diving in the water. I don't know how difficult this would be, but it would probably be a good thing for wanderers since carrying a bucket around all the time can be a hassle (and not to mention starters who don't even have the materials to make a bucket). Though I find the thirst mod itself to be incredibly tedious, to be honest, mostly because it takes forever to stock up on glasses of water with the "fill bucket, open inventory, put bucket in crafting grid, take glass of water, return bucket, close inventory, repeat" routine.

EDIT: Also, should the ostrich, undead, and toxic meats from the animals modpack really be counted as food? I've removed them from the list in my copy; it just seems really weird that a food that hurts you properly satisfies your hunger.
Last edited by onpon4 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

onpon4 wrote:I think you should add these to the list of supported mods (I've listed all the foods from the ones I'm actually using right now):

Simple Mobs ("mobs"):
mobs:meat

Additional Mobs ("my_mobs"): (can't have more than one link...)

Fishing Mod ("fishing"):
fishing:fish_raw, fishing:fish, fishing:sushi

Cactus Mod ("cactusmod"):
cactusmod:cactus_fruit

Nature Pack: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=729

Also, I think it would be a good idea to let the thirst mod be satisfied by diving in the water. I don't know how difficult this would be, but it would probably be a good thing for wanderers since carrying a bucket around all the time can be a hassle (and not to mention starters who don't even have the materials to make a bucket). Though I find the thirst mod itself to be incredibly tedious, to be honest, mostly because it takes forever to stock up on glasses of water with the "fill bucket, open inventory, put bucket in crafting grid, take glass of water, return bucket, close inventory, repeat" routine.

EDIT: Also, should the ostrich, undead, and toxic meats from the animals modpack really be counted as food? I've removed them from the list in my copy; it just seems really weird that a food that hurts you properly satisfies your hunger.
Thanks for the suggestion about the other food items. They will be added in an update (maybe tomorrow, I'll have to take a look at Nature Pack and others as well).
About replenishing thirst while swimming, I thought about that too, but it will make it way too easy to quench your thirst, and seems a bit odd (drinking salt water). Note that this point is moot anyway, since you are grabbing salt water with your bucket anyway. I planned to add some kind of "filter"/"purifier"/or whatever that is called. BTW, if you have homedecor installed, you can punch the under-sink kitchen cabinet with an empty glass on hand to fill it. You can also do that with the sink from 3dforniture.
About the undead/toxic meats, I just thought about that for an "emergency" situation where you are dying from hunger and have no other food around, so at least you eat something at the expense of losing a bit of HP. Now that you say it, this seems ridiculous; the meat should make you more hungry (or at least not affect your hunger meter). In the future maybe I'll add poisoning from eating toxic meat too.
For now, I set a quick n' dirty Wiki at GitHub. It's nowhere near complete, but maybe you can help add some tidbits? :)

EDIT: Forget about the Home page in the wiki for now. I cannot understand the stupid Markdown syntax. Use the index to navigate if problems arise.
Last edited by kaeza on Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

kaeza wrote: EDIT: Forget about the Home page in the wiki for now. I cannot understand the stupid Markdown syntax. Use the index to navigate if problems arise.
You're supposed to use e.g. "wiki/Hunger", not just "Hunger". GitHub has it like this so you can link to stuff in the repo, I think.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Fixed stoopeed bug on my part (sending a message to a nil player).
SOON(*):
- New food supported
- Poisoning

(*) ...ish
Last edited by kaeza on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Neat. I was also thinking it might be possible to hack together a crude HUD by attaching an entity to the player and changing the visual to affect mesh faces that happen to show up in front of the camera. I have no idea how effective this will be, but it could be worth a try. It would require multiple textures on the UV map; I'm not sure if that is possible using material groups or something, but it should be possible by texture layering (you just can't do too many or you'll get an error about the texture string being too long). Another possibility would be to try animating the entity's mesh using a skeleton in some way....

Interestingly, this would allow other players to see your bars as well (as it isn't a true HUD, but an in-world object stuck to the player).
Last edited by prestidigitator on Fri Mar 22, 2013 19:15, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

prestidigitator wrote:Neat. I was also thinking it might be possible to hack together a crude HUD by attaching an entity to the player and changing the visual to affect mesh faces that happen to show up in front of the camera. I have no idea how effective this will be, but it could be worth a try. It would require multiple textures on the UV map; I'm not sure if that is possible using material groups or something, but it should be possible by texture layering (you just can't do too many or you'll get an error about the texture string being too long). Another possibility would be to try animating the entity's mesh using a skeleton in some way....

Interestingly, this would allow other players to see your bars as well (as it isn't a true HUD, but an in-world object stuck to the player).
I have also thought about that, but I don't like the idea that everyone can see everyone's bars. It also adds lots of entities which may slow down the server even more. For now, I'll go with what I have now usnig meters as tools, using wear to show current value.

Bas080
GitHub: bas080
IRC: bas080
In-game: bas080

by Bas080 » Post

Can't wait for this get pulled https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/612.

Mods like these can profit from it.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Bas080 wrote:Can't wait for this get pulled https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/612.

Mods like these can profit from it.
Indeed.
Got disconnected for a few days, but I'm back!
I'll start to work on this.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Preliminary view (still tweaking a bit):

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Update!

Added support for Lua-defined HUD. Textures are placeholders for now; if there's someone with artistic skills out there, and want to contribute some textures, I want to hear from you :)

(I know it looks ugly, but for now [besides making/getting better textures] it's all I can do)

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I will be adding this to minitest but getting rid ofthirst
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

Hey, just noticed you haven't added the foods I suggested yet. I have this added to the list:

-- Simple Mobs (mobs)
    "mobs:meat", "mobs:rat_cooked",

-- My Mobs (my_mobs)
    "my_mobs:rabbit_cooked", "my_mobs:milk_bucket",
    "my_mobs:milk_bottle_glass", "my_mobs:milk_glass_cup",
    "my_mobs:milk_bottle_steel",

-- Fishing Mod (fishing)
    "fishing:fish_raw", "fishing:fish", "fishing:sushi",

-- Cactus Mod (cactusmod)
    "cactusmod:cactus_fruit",
I'm not entirely sure about the milk-related stuff from my_mobs.
Last edited by onpon4 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

kaeza

by kaeza » Post

onpon4 wrote:Hey, just noticed you haven't added the foods I suggested yet. I have this added to the list:

(code)

I'm not entirely sure about the milk-related stuff from my_mobs.
Added. Thanks for the contribution.
...and sorry for forgetting about that :P

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

what about

cake:cake
cake:cake_5
cake:cake_4
cake:cake_3
cake:cake_2
cake:cake_1
default:apple_gold