[Mod] Digilines [digilines]

Jeija

[Mod] Digilines [digilines]

by Jeija » Post

The digilines mod existed for some time already, even without getting noticed by many people. Now I decided to release it aside from mesecons to spread it.
In fact it's not only and addition to mesecons, but can also be used by other mods, use your creativity!
Presenting: The minetest counterpart for real-life digital bus systems like i2c, SPI, RS232, USB, OneWire, ...

So, what is it good for?
Use case 1: Link luacontrollers together; Use them as port expanders or even create a dynamic network. For this use case, I can recommand The Tic-Tac-Toe Machine on the Mesecons Lab by Uberi which demonstrates this feature impressively.

Data is always consists of a channel and a message to be sent. See the luacontroller documentation for more information.

Use case 2: Hook up external Hardware to a luacontroller. At the moment a Real Time Clock (RTC) that gives you the current timeofday, a light sensor and an LCD display are included.
For the display, just send your text on the channel you selected when right-clicking it, in order to retrieve time or light data, send a "GET" to RTC or light sensor on the selected channel.

For developers: See the RTC, Light Sensor and LCD code to develop your own things using the digilines features.

Download
as .zip | as .tar.gz
GitHub project page

License:
  • Code: LGPL
  • Textues: WTFPL
Dependencies: none, but currently not usable without luacontrollers (=mesecons); no crafting recipes, so creative is also recommended
Last edited by Jeija on Fri Apr 08, 2016 18:59, edited 2 times in total.
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

So people could create extra hardware to interface with diglines?

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Traxie21 wrote:So people could create extra hardware to interface with diglines?
Yes, that would be awesome. You could make inputs (temperature, moisture, pressure sensor, keyboard input or Node detector), computing stuff (memory chips, or sth. like the luacontroller) or effectors (displays, lights, node placer).

Just think of what bus systems are used for in real life, they're just everywhere!

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

Why do you make so awesome mods, Jeija?? O.o

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Are you asking Jeija to stop making awesome mods? :L

webdesigner97
GitHub: webD97
IRC: webdesigner97
In-game: webdesigner97

by webdesigner97 » Post

of course no! :D

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

There should be a type of ore that after you mine it, you can craft it into digiline parts, like mese with mesecons. I will try to do that, but I need to wait until I can use a computer that minetest works on.
Last edited by 12Me21 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 19:08, edited 1 time in total.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

Add this to mesecons extensions on the site yes?
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Wow. That LCD display is insane! I tried to do the same sort of texture combining to tile a background color for "dyed" stone with an overlaid texture, but I guess my texture names were WAY to long for even a few tiles (crashed the server when the final texture string was apparently long enough it didn't want to send it to the client). Seems like we might need some kind of API method for at least simple text-based dynamic texture creation....
Last edited by prestidigitator on Mon Mar 25, 2013 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Very intresting! That makes making circuits far more intresting since we don't have to do the low level stuff anymore. Thanks for the mod!
A list of my mods can be found here.

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

For digilines crafting recipes, maybe you could use floatstone, since I think floatlands have been recently merged.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Is there really a need for crafting recipes? I mean, I would never use something like digilines in survival mode, the gameplay in survival is just totally different.
You likely only need these things to make giant structures (for most use cases at least) and you wouldn't build them in survival mode anway IMO.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

Jeija wrote:Is there really a need for crafting recipes? I mean, I would never use something like digilines in survival mode, the gameplay in survival is just totally different.
You likely only need these things to make giant structures (for most use cases at least) and you wouldn't build them in survival mode anway IMO.
There is always a need for crafting recipes. People like me find a lot of joy making things like this in survival mode because it has a feeling of accomplishment and it definately gives you an additional thing to add to your survival house. So please, create a crafting recipe.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

You can just add some yourself, you know.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Hey, Jeija do you think it possible you and I can management a way make GLaDOS with how good you at making all, this power and, wiring stuff...

Well I was really thinking make GLaDOS a mob but, I don't think it possible make her that big and everything...

Edit:Oh yours wiring mods, reminds me of Gmod Wire Mod take a look at it you may possible make, Wire mod possible on Minetest.
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Tue Mar 26, 2013 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

oxenfreedan

by oxenfreedan » Post

So I didn't really get it.... So can someone explain what this mod really does.
My Awesome Map please try:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5028
I've played minetest since 0.3.1 came out!
Mostly when on forums I'm using a uniden tablet!

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

oxenfreedan wrote:So I didn't really get it.... So can someone explain what this mod really does.
Form my understanding it allows you do something in real life...

Oh now this is so cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_GT6a4M90
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

Nore wrote:For digilines crafting recipes, maybe you could use floatstone, since I think floatlands have been recently merged.
I think the version of flolands that was merged uses regular dirt and stone.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

What are float lands now in default? Where are they?
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Likwid H-Craft wrote:
oxenfreedan wrote:So I didn't really get it.... So can someone explain what this mod really does.
Form my understanding it allows you do something in real life...
Oh now this is so cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo_GT6a4M90
Not really, thtat video would have also been possible without digilines. You know, mesecons is some kind of low level electronic stuff that all sorts of modern electronic devices use. But often, different parts of devices need to communicate, like your Computer with a USB stick or a washing machine's control panel with the interior. It would be too complicated to make this kind of communication on a low level base, instead, you create some bus wire like i2c, USB or digilines that makes communication easier and on a high level.See the TicTacToe-Machine on http://uberi.mesecons.net for an example usage. If you still don't understand what I'm talking about, this mod was not made for you, just ignore it.

brandedangel

by brandedangel » Post

this whole thing is just confusing to me

lordcirth

by lordcirth » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
Jeija wrote:Is there really a need for crafting recipes? I mean, I would never use something like digilines in survival mode, the gameplay in survival is just totally different.
There is always a need for crafting recipes. People like me find a lot of joy making things like this in survival mode because it has a feeling of accomplishment and it definately gives you an additional thing to add to your survival house. So please, create a crafting recipe.
I agree, I have been experimenting with mesecons in a Survival Mode world, and I'm working on creating & balancing digilines recipes. I will probably submit to the github when I'm done. Thanks Jeija for making such a cool mod!

clarksallador

by clarksallador » Post

how do you use this ?

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

clarksallador, if you don't get what this is then nevermind, this mod was not made for you.
If you have trouble with some specific thing, tell me what exactly what you want to know.

lordcirth

by lordcirth » Post

lordcirth wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:
I agree, I have been experimenting with mesecons in a Survival Mode world, and I'm working on creating & balancing digilines recipes. I will probably submit to the github when I'm done. Thanks Jeija for making such a cool mod!
Jeija, I have created recipes for digiline and digiline_lcd , and have submitted a pull request on the digiline Github. Please review when you get the chance.

If anyone wants to add these recipes right now, replace your minetest-mod-digilines folder with git clone git://github.com/lordcirth/minetest-mod-digilines.git .