Wanting to get minetest.

Psychotic

Wanting to get minetest.

by Psychotic » Post

Alright, finally decided to download it, gonna be tomorrow though.

Specs:
GPU: GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
CPU: i7-3630QM
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Screen: 1920x1080 Full HD 17.3"

So is this enough to run minetest with a 256x256 pack?

And can anyone recommend a modpack for me that also has a few compatible servers, since i wanna play on a server and team up with someone.
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

That PC will be way more than enough to run MT. I have an Intel E5700 Dual-Core, Intel i965 graphics card, 4GB of RAM, and a 1024x768 screen and runs perfectly (around 40 FPS).

About mods, you only need to install them if you want to play singleplayer; if you connect to a server it will download the textures, sounds, etc (but not the code), of the mods installed in the server.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

So it will still let me play, even if i have mods, but it wont load the code necessary for the mods to function?
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

There really is no mod pack and that is good enough for a 256x256 pack. Are you using vanessae's pack? For mod packs the best bet is using games.
for a realistic game use http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=2671
For a Minecraft like game use this one http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=2589
Here is a fast and uses full extent of Minitest server http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5274
For a really developed game use the dwarves one http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=3003
Finally this one is still in beta you could say but it is a portal game mode a very good one http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=4501
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Psychotic wrote:So it will still let me play, even if i have mods, but it wont load the code necessary for the mods to function?
With servers you don't have to do anything you just connect and boom you can play. I have played on a server using just the bare minimum where I would not be able to play singleplayer even.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Psychotic wrote:So it will still let me play, even if i have mods, but it wont load the code necessary for the mods to function?
I never played Minecraft, but from what I hear the server and client need to be modded in the same way. This is not the case in Minetest. All you need is that server and client have compatible protocol (which is the case after some version in the 0.4.4 branch).
The client only downloads the node definitions like what the node is, the texture, etc, but the behavior is handled server-side, so you also don't have to worry about downloading malicious code.
Last edited by kaeza on Wed Mar 27, 2013 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Psychotic wrote:Alright, finally decided to download it, gonna be tomorrow though.

Specs:
GPU: GTX 660M 2GB GDDR5
CPU: i7-3630QM
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Screen: 1920x1080 Full HD 17.3"

So is this enough to run minetest with a 256x256 pack?

And can anyone recommend a modpack for me that also has a few compatible servers, since i wanna play on a server and team up with someone.
You should just try everything and dont ask here. We dont know what suits your needs, and since everything here is free you dont loose anything (except time, but time shouldnt matter for a hobby like playing games).
So go ahead and try everything out.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Of course, it'll be fine, you'll probably get several hundred frames per second at best, even with shaders enabled.

Just remember that if you're making a desktop-versus-laptop comparison, mobile CPUs and graphic cards are much slower than their desktop counterparts (usually 10-25% slower).
Last edited by Calinou on Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Calinou wrote:Of course, it'll be fine, you'll probably get several hundred frames per second at best, even with shaders enabled.

Just remember that if you're making a desktop-versus-laptop comparison, mobile CPUs and graphic cards are much slower than their desktop counterparts (usually 10-25% slower).
Fix Typo
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

Dopium

by Dopium » Post

Using a texture pack with the textures installed in textures/all folder will load the pack you want on a multiplayer server though. Just if your like me and want the minecraft look on a MP server
Running @1.19 MHz, 128 bytes of RAM and interchangeable 4kb ROM carts!

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

My budget 2007 laptop running an Intel Celeron and Intel GMA runs Minetest well as long as it's not hosting a server with too many expensive mods on it. It's very good when I'm playing on a different server from it (perfect as far as I can tell, but I don't know the frame rate). An Intel Core processor with an Nvidia card should perform great (the Nvidia card isn't even necessary; the built-in Intel HD graphics ought to work great too).
Last edited by onpon4 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

onpon4 wrote:the built-in Intel HD graphics ought to work great too).
An HD4000 will struggle at running the game at 60FPS with shaders at 1920×1080. If anti-aliasing gets fixed one day, it would be even harder to have a good framerate with say, 4× AA. :P

Not all NVIDIA cards are useful, the 610M and 620M are slower than an HD4000!
Last edited by Calinou on Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

Calinou wrote:
onpon4 wrote:the built-in Intel HD graphics ought to work great too).
An HD4000 will struggle at running the game at 60FPS with shaders at 1920×1080.
Well, then we have differing definitions of working "great". I never said "full-speed with max graphical settings at 1080p", and that's not what I meant. I meant that the game will look good and run smoothly.

On my laptop, which I've mentioned has an Intel GMA, Minetest runs at around 20 FPS with shaders, 3D clouds, and fancy trees at the default window size when I run it on top of GNOME Shell. This is a speed I think is smooth; I never noticed any choppiness at this framerate and it's how I usually play. If I maximize the window, it drops to about 10 FPS.

I mentioned, though, that this is on top of GNOME Shell; if I instead use GNOME Fallback with no effects, I get around 35 FPS at the default window size and 25 FPS with the window maximized.

So in a nutshell, by my interpretation of "great", Minetest even works great on my 2007 budget laptop with an Intel GMA, so I'm sure a computer with Intel HD graphics can do great, too.
Last edited by onpon4 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Calinou wrote: An HD4000 will struggle at running the game at 60FPS with shaders at 1920×1080
And without shaders? Those seem to be very expensive as far as requirements for grapic cards go. AA is not necessary either. What I'd like to have is to be able to play with a constant view range of far with a framerate of at least 15 fps.
A list of my mods can be found here.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Without shaders, you'll have more than 60FPS just fine in most cases, yes.

onpon4

by onpon4 » Post

What do shaders do, anyway? When I was checking what performance I get, one of the things I did was turn shaders off, and I couldn't see any visual difference.

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Shaders basically improve texture colors to make lighting look much better. Water used to have a lower surface when shaders were enabled, but since the "new_style_water" option was fixed, you can do that without shaders too.

We could do much more with them, though (eg. water waves), but not all kinds of shaders are supported yet (it is currently not possible to make depth of field, HDR, water reflections, or such).

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

So uh, how do i install minetest? any how to videos out there?

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

On Windows, you just download Minetest from http://minetest.net/download.php, then extract the .zip file, then run minetest.exe which is in the bin directory.
Last edited by Calinou on Thu Mar 28, 2013 20:44, edited 1 time in total.