An idea for making 3D players that are better than those of Minecraft.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

That looks pretty interesting rarkenin. I would advise making the arms and legs decrease in diameter a little as they go down to the feet and hands just like the ones on the human body do. It might be a good idea to have the neck be at least as wide as the tops of the arms as well.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Inocudom wrote:That looks pretty interesting rarkenin. I would advise making the arms and legs decrease in diameter a little as they go down to the feet and hands just like the ones on the human body do. It might be a good idea to have the neck be at least as wide as the tops of the arms as well.
Adjustments shall be made accordingly.

rarkenin whips out measuring tape

Yeah, I was gonig for semi-realism, then just overlooked a lot of the mesh as I was worrying about UV.
Last edited by rarkenin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

OK, the mesh is mostly done. I'd just like someone to check on exporting it for Minetest as my exports keep segfaulting it, at any settings that involve animation(either full animation or keyframes only).
The mesh is in .blend format, and I have done no compression/dissolve/poly reduction yet.
Also included is a test texture I used for testing.

http://ompldr.org/vaHd6bg/Mesh.zip

After reviewing the argument about archive formats, I am compromising on Zip. Most Linux distros should open it, while Windows users won't whine about it.

Edit: It looks like my animations got lost in the mesh. Fixing now.

Edit 2: new link: http://ompldr.org/vaHgwNg/MeshNew.zip
Last edited by rarkenin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Updated meshes and sample textures:
Tarball

Zipball

I'd love to have others do textures. The UV layout template is inside either of the archives above.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

This are an a bad idearp
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:This are an a bad idearp
Can you please explain your reasoning?

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

rarkenin wrote:...I have done no compression/dissolve/poly reduction yet.
Hmm. I have the feeling you might be making things more complicated for yourself than necessary. With such a simple model you really want to be going the other way: a relatively simple control mesh plus modifiers like subsurf. If necessary (i.e. the exporter can't handle modifiers) you temporarily apply the modifiers before exporting, but keep your working model intact. A boxy model should never get complex enough that you have to work to reduce the poly count.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I don't think that should be added to default unless it becomes easier ro make twxtures for. Falso rhis will break sin moda. I say ir is a no go.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

the biggest problem i have witht he new 3D player model is it will close a door with a huge amount of skins for players....

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Linxx wrote:the biggest problem i have witht he new 3D player model is it will close a door with a huge amount of skins for players....
Hmm. Yeah. I see people from time to time suggesting making a custom skin generator using Javascript or something. What if instead a Blender file were published that was all setup for texture painting and baking? "Open the file in blender, use the paintbrush, click this "Bake" button, then go up to this pane and save the image." If the Blender UI layout is setup correctly then those are steps which shouldn't be too hard to follow even if you've had zero experience with Blender. And the best part is that the development effort is close to zero (the coding effort IS zero).
Last edited by prestidigitator on Fri Mar 29, 2013 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
Linxx wrote:the biggest problem i have witht he new 3D player model is it will close a door with a huge amount of skins for players....
Hmm. Yeah. I see people from time to time suggesting making a custom skin generator using Javascript or something. What if instead a Blender file were published that was all setup for texture painting and baking? "Open the file in blender, use the paintbrush, click this "Bake" button, then go up to this pane and save the image." If the Blender UI layout is setup correctly then those are steps which shouldn't be too hard to follow even if you've had zero experience with Blender. And the best part is that the development effort is close to zero (the coding effort IS zero).
well if the model change happens we might need a sticky thread wiith the instructions....

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
rarkenin wrote:...I have done no compression/dissolve/poly reduction yet.
Hmm. I have the feeling you might be making things more complicated for yourself than necessary. With such a simple model you really want to be going the other way: a relatively simple control mesh plus modifiers like subsurf. If necessary (i.e. the exporter can't handle modifiers) you temporarily apply the modifiers before exporting, but keep your working model intact. A boxy model should never get complex enough that you have to work to reduce the poly count.
The problem isn't the high poly count of the mesh. I just wanted to emphasize that the mesh is still in its working state.

But if anyone wants to make changes, and take over, go right ahead.
Last edited by rarkenin on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Another problem is ThE texture size. Those files will be really large with the clarity of it.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

jojoa1997 wrote:Another problem is ThE texture size. Those files will be really large with the clarity of it.
My textures are only 150-300 KB for a full body texture in 1024x1024, thanks to PNG compression. It's not as bad as it seems.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

you don't have the .x file, hence it doesn't work

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Mito551 wrote:you don't have the .x file, hence it doesn't work
The .x file is obtained by running export from Blender with the DirectX mesh exporter enabled. The problem is that the character.x that IS generated either lacks animation, is highly malformed, or crashes the game. Please read more carefully next time.

Zsoltisawesome
GitHub: YellowberryHN
IRC: YellowberryHN
In-game: YellowberryHN

by Zsoltisawesome » Post

Tedypig wrote:Nope nope nope. Boxy players should stay. It is how ALL (that I know) sandbox games are and should be. Why have a boxy world and round/smooth player? It just wont match. -100
Well Then You Only Know A Few...
Check Out Moontest! http://hnss.gq/moontest
Buddies: Likwid H-Craft, 0gb.us, Death, Starfellow, asie, and many more!

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Tedypig wrote:Nope nope nope. Boxy players should stay. It is how ALL (that I know) sandbox games are and should be. Why have a boxy world and round/smooth player? It just wont match. -100
Look at Prestibags, then.

Tedypig
IRC: Piggybear87
In-game: Piggybear

by Tedypig » Post

rarkenin wrote:
I don't and won't use ANY bags mod BECAUSE of the fact that they are round.
01010100 01100101 01100100 01111001 01110000 01101001 01100111

Zsoltisawesome
GitHub: YellowberryHN
IRC: YellowberryHN
In-game: YellowberryHN

by Zsoltisawesome » Post

Tedypig wrote:
rarkenin wrote:
I don't and won't use ANY bags mod BECAUSE of the fact that they are round!
rage...
Check Out Moontest! http://hnss.gq/moontest
Buddies: Likwid H-Craft, 0gb.us, Death, Starfellow, asie, and many more!

moukotiger

by moukotiger » Post

Why bother with worrying about minecraft skins?
this isn't minecraft and trying to force it to be minecraft is limiting to this engine.

Why the heck not use the engine to make a skyrim type of game?

anyways.....

here is my stab at a new player model....almost rigged using a standard rig from Carnegie-Melon's .bvh files and at only 298 tri's
still need to unwrap it, but I am confident I can make it fit the skin used by the character.blend that came with the source.

I've added rudimentary 'hands' and any other models could use the 'hand' bone as a tag
I've also added feet.

There may be a for more poly's added to help hide ugly gaps between arms/legs/torso depending on how basic animations look.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

moukotiger wrote:Why bother with worrying about minecraft skins?
this isn't minecraft and trying to force it to be minecraft is limiting to this engine.

Why the heck not use the engine to make a skyrim type of game?

anyways.....

here is my stab at a new player model....almost rigged using a standard rig from Carnegie-Melon's .bvh files and at only 298 tri's
still need to unwrap it, but I am confident I can make it fit the skin used by the character.blend that came with the source.

I've added rudimentary 'hands' and any other models could use the 'hand' bone as a tag
I've also added feet.

There may be a for more poly's added to help hide ugly gaps between arms/legs/torso depending on how basic animations look.
I recommend adding a neck and decreasing the diameter of the legs as they go to the feat a little more. You may want to make the arms a little thinner in terms of diameter too. Other than that, your model is looking pretty good.

I like your model too, rarkenin. It is good for players that like the Minecraft style, but is also unique.

I hope both player models will make it into a mod one day.

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Regarding Minecraft compatibility, here's my two cents:

Minecraft compatibility is a good thing. There are tons of skins for Minecraft already and it's easier to win someone over who plays Minecraft if they can use their favorite skins. Obviously, Minetest can't be distributed with nonfree skins, but players can use the skins themselves (e.g. with the Skins mod, or even better, something built-in that allows your skin to be customized to something on your computer even when you're on someone else's server).

On the other hand, a custom model that looks better than Minecraft's could be nice. It could make Minetest look better than Minecraft in one way.

So I think it would be great for a new, better model to be added and used by default. Heck, Minetest could be modified to allow custom models within certain size restrictions, and that would be even better. In any case, the Minecraft-like model should still be available so that Minetest has that compatibility advantage.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Well, with the model I've made, I've done pretty much all I can animating and building it. Now I need to figure out how to export it with animations without crashing Minetest(I scripted exporting with most possible settings available in the Export to DirectX window, but to no avail.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

This topic hasn't had any responses lately. How are things going?