New Noise Algorithms

For people working on the C++ code.
prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Well, here's a fork with my noise changes (branch objnoise): https://github.com/prestidigitator/mine ... e/objnoise

And here's a pull request to upstream: https://github.com/minetest/minetest/pull/577

prestidigitator

Well, hmmmm made it VERY clear that no one's opinion but his counts, and that "community driven" means a community of one. He absolutely assured us that my changes would never get in unless they conformed exactly with his opinion of what Minetest's code style should be. I decided a long, long time ago I would not waste my time getting involved in this kind of political B.S., so at this point I am pretty much done working on anything but mods, which at least truly ARE community-based (unless hmmmm decides to take his ruffled feathers to the forums, of course).

All of the code I wrote can be considered dual-licensed under both Minetest's license and WTFPL as far as I am concerned. Maybe someone will do something useful with it somewhere, even if it isn't in Minetest.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Casimir wrote:Sad but true, they ruin minetest.
Have you read the whole discussion or just the parts prestidigitator pointed to?

Casimir
GitHub: CasimirKaPazi

by Casimir » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
Casimir wrote:Sad but true, they ruin minetest.
Have you read the whole discussion or just the parts prestidigitator pointed to?
Never mind. It's not that particular case, its the way the developers and the community split apart.
And I read it. It's the "fuck off" part that I don't like.
http://irc.minetest.ru/minetest-dev/201 ... #i_2970525

prestidigitator

Although it'll apparently never be used in the game, I thought I'd see what kind of interesting terrain could be created using composed noise. So I created a simple map generator that uses some DynamicFractalNoise, MixedNoise, etc. By simple, I mean it is under 300 lines of code and only deals with dirt, grass, water, and stone (no sand, trees, caves, etc.—that's the easy stuff anyway). But as you can see below the kind of terrain it generates is far from "simple".

So here's an ocean and beach I found. Notice the flat plains on the left, the rolling hills on the right, and the start of a mountain range in the background.

Here's some cool beach terrain with inlets and islands caused by hills along the shore.

Some lakes, ponds, and rivers in the hills:

A close-up of some of that flat terrain, with those mountains starting to show a little more clearly in the distance:

Bigger hills on the fringe of the mountains, looking back toward the ocean:

And those crazy mountains!

A nice wide shot of some of these features, also showing one of the places the topsoil is thin enough for the rock to show through without the aid of a cliff face:

(I know object-oriented, pattern-based code can seem a little daunting until you get used to it, but there ARE some benefits. It might pay to stay open to them instead of attacking the instant you feel threatened by something you don't fully understand. If anyone is seriously interested I'd be happy to show some links, UML, or other pretty pictures that might help with growth in this area.)

prestidigitator

Huh. Interesting. Having trouble with 2D vs. 3D noise. I can take care of that if you like. Actually I already did. I added a simple method that uses 3D noise along a 2D surface by taking the third coordinate from a pregenerated height map (usually another noise result). Did that for the added terrain and topsoil thicknesses in the mapgen you see above. Cooperative effort is really nice when the door is open to it.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Tue Apr 02, 2013 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

hmmmm

by hmmmm » Post

Prestidigitator, enough with the passive-aggressive commentary. You know fully well why your contribution was not added, and although it did play a part, it doesn't have as much to do with OOP as you either think it does, or want others who are watching the arena to believe. If you don't like "political B.S.", why are you clearly inciting drama on the forums?
I think it's great that you made your own little mapgen, and I'm sure it looks awesome, but we're not exactly starving for your code.
Also, I just mentioned that it was kind of creepy that you're obsessed to the point of watching the channel from the logs. But you already knew that.

prestidigitator

hmmmm wrote:Prestidigitator, enough with the passive-aggressive commentary. You know fully well why your contribution was not added, and although it did play a part, it doesn't have as much to do with OOP as you either think it does, or want others who are watching the arena to believe. If you don't like "political B.S.", why are you clearly inciting drama on the forums?
I think it's great that you made your own little mapgen, and I'm sure it looks awesome, but we're not exactly starving for your code.
Also, I just mentioned that it was kind of creepy that you're obsessed to the point of watching the channel from the logs. But you already knew that.
It's not passive at all, but quite open for you to see, as the whole topic has been since the time I first thought of working on some noise algorithms (real bad communication, eh?). I've spent a lot of time looking over all kinds of things on the logs, the wiki, the code base, and the forums. I have added quite a bit of documentation on the wiki, and help people with mods all the time. Go search for all the posts I've made here, and take a look at how helpful and community-oriented I have been.

I'm continuing working on this personally, on the side, because it is interesting. Yes, I understand fully that you're not interested in it. Others might be, and it is unfortunate that you've worked yourself into a position to unilaterally keep people from contributing to this "community based" project if you don't personally like someone's style. I'm debating maintaining a fork, but probably won't have the bandwidth.

You attacked me from the moment I showed up, and have continued to dis me in IRC ever since. Obsession? You keep telling people in IRC how it was such a great thing that you told me to f*** off, and keep going about how horrible my code was when no one else has even mentioned it. Saying it so often and so vehemently because you want so desperately for it to be true? Does my potential contribution really make you that insecure? What exactly have I done to irk you so, and cause such personal hatred? Feel sorry for my employers? Really?
Last edited by prestidigitator on Tue Apr 02, 2013 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

prestidigitator wrote:
hmmmm wrote:Prestidigitator, enough with the passive-aggressive commentary. You know fully well why your contribution was not added, and although it did play a part, it doesn't have as much to do with OOP as you either think it does, or want others who are watching the arena to believe. If you don't like "political B.S.", why are you clearly inciting drama on the forums?
It's not passive at all, but quite open for you to see, as the whole topic has been since the time I first thought of working on some noise algorithms (real bad communication, eh?). I've spent a lot of time looking over all kinds of things on the logs, the wiki, the code base, and the forums. I have added quite a bit of documentation on the wiki, and help people with mods all the time. Go search for all the posts I've made here, and take a look at how helpful and community-oriented I have been.

I'm continuing working on this personally, on the side, because it is interesting. Yes, I understand fully that you're not interested in it. Others might be, and it is unfortunate that you've worked yourself into a position to unilaterally keep people from contributing to this "community based" project if you don't personally like someone's style. I'm debating maintaining a fork, but probably won't have the bandwidth.

You attacked me from the moment I showed up, and have continued to dis me in IRC ever since. Obsession? You keep telling people in IRC how it was such a great thing that you told me to f*** off, and keep going about how horrible my code was when no one else has even mentioned it. Saying it so often and so vehemently because you want so desperately for it to be true? Does my potential contribution really make you that insecure? What exactly have I done to irk you so, and cause such personal hatred? Feel sorry for my employers? Really?
Damn dude, you have more problems than I do lol.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

hmmmm

by hmmmm » Post

prestidigitator wrote:

Look, I'm sorry I said all that and what not. I didn't mean to hurt any feelings here. But, I never thought you would be reading the channel logs religiously like that in the first place.
The off-ness in your code was something that would instantly come to mind any time I went to read it. I only mentioned this twice, though.
I am glad you have an enormous amount of self-esteem and that none of what happened dampened your confidence. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll make a fantastic Java/C# developer someday with all those fancy UML diagrams and flowcharts.

prestidigitator

hmmmm wrote:Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll make a fantastic Java/C# developer someday with all those fancy UML diagrams and flowcharts.
Hey, thanks man! I know there's some paranoia about those languages in some corners here (understandably with the Minecraft comparison always looming overhead), so you may not realize how much praise that offers to a C++ developer. I don't know about C#, but Java does offer an environment in which it is somewhat easier to produce well designed and well written code (though of course it is still necessary to use good practices). It takes more discipline to do that in C++ where you have dirty hacks like macros, "clever" pointer arithmetic, and silly template tricks that can sometimes be tempting but rarely actually help in the way you might think and usually just serve to make code unmaintainable.
Last edited by prestidigitator on Tue Apr 02, 2013 06:49, edited 1 time in total.