[Mod] Lava Lamps [1.1] [lavalamp]

thefamilygrog66

[Mod] Lava Lamps [1.1] [lavalamp]

by thefamilygrog66 » Post

Lava Lamps Mod

by thefamilygrog66

Description:

Coloured Lava Lamps, loosely based on Tonyka's wall torches from the 3dforniture/homedecor mod. There are 6 colours in all: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet.

After placing a lava lamp, the player can turn it off/on again by right-clicking on it.

Recipe:

Code: Select all

+---------------+
| coloured wool |
+---------------+
| water bucket  |
+---------------+
|  black wool   |
+---------------+
Mod dependencies: wool, bucket

License:

Sourcecode: WTFPL
Graphics: WTFPL

Download: https://github.com/thefamilygrog66/lava ... master.zip

Browse code on github: https://github.com/thefamilygrog66/lavalamp

Screenshot:

Last edited by thefamilygrog66 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

clarksallador

by clarksallador » Post

Nice mod :) looking forward to it

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

thefamilygrog66 wrote:I'm not sure if I'll finish this one or not - I'll have to make my own animation if I do, since the one I used was just pulled off the internet as a proof of concept.
I hope you can use that animation. It looks very good!

Mihobre

by Mihobre » Post

publish it, publish it!!! BUT WAIT, make different colors ROYGBIV or even without I(indigo for short)

ROYGBIV: RED, ORANGE, YELLOW, GREEN, INDIGO, VIOLET

pleeaase do it
I wanna fly!!!
I wanna have feathery wings of silver, blue, and white!!!
I wanna soar high and touch the sky!!!
I wanna fly!!!

thefamilygrog66

Mihobre wrote:publish it, publish it!!! BUT WAIT, make different colors ROYGBIV or even without I(indigo for short)

pleeaase do it
By "different colours", do you mean the colour of the base (black in the example) or the colour of the "lava"?

Mihobre

by Mihobre » Post

thefamilygrog66 wrote:
Mihobre wrote:publish it, publish it!!! BUT WAIT, make different colors ROYGBIV or even without I(indigo for short)

pleeaase do it
By "different colours", do you mean the colour of the base (black in the example) or the colour of the "lava"?
I mean the "lava"
I wanna fly!!!
I wanna have feathery wings of silver, blue, and white!!!
I wanna soar high and touch the sky!!!
I wanna fly!!!

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

I found a better animation: Image
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

markveidemanis

by markveidemanis » Post

12Me21 wrote:I found a better animation: Image
No, i like the other one better, it shows minetest's personality; pixelated but clear.
This is just too fast and violent to be relaxing.
BitCoin: 1Eq4arvykGNa1YC2DbJpWcwGfMvtFGjAoR

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

markveidemanis wrote:
No, i like the other one better, it shows minetest's personality; pixelated but clear.
The mod is called 'Lava lamps', so maybe it's possible to use both of them? (I like both designs).

Sokomine
GitHub: Sokomine
IRC: Sokomine
In-game: Sokomine

by Sokomine » Post

Do animated images work with nodeboxes? If so, that would be great. Looking forward for the lava lamp! All these dark rooms in houses need more light :-)
A list of my mods can be found here.

thefamilygrog66

Mihobre wrote:
thefamilygrog66 wrote:By "different colours", do you mean the colour of the base (black in the example) or the colour of the "lava"?
I mean the "lava"
That's going to take some work, I think, though it's definitely possible.

As an aside, I'm not sure what to do at this point regarding license, since I basically started with an animated gif of a real lava lamp that someone had put online, removed most of the frames, cropped it, reduced the size and resolution, and then added each frame to the .png file (along with my base and top, which is just plain black).

Does anyone know whether I'd still need permission from the person who uploaded the original .gif in order to license it as wtfpl, since I've changed it so much?
Thanks, but I prefer to use an animation created from a real lava lamp, even though it's a bit pixelized. I'd initially tried to make the shape of the model more like the one you've posted, but couldn't put the textures on it properly, without it looking bad. So I went with more of a straight cylinder style.
Hybrid Dog wrote:Did you convert the screenshots to jpg files and did you then made a gif animation out of the JPEG files?
No, to create the animated gif in the first post of this thread, I used a program call screencastomatic, and just filmed a few seconds while playing minetest.
Sokomine wrote:Do animated images work with nodeboxes? If so, that would be great. Looking forward for the lava lamp! All these dark rooms in houses need more light :-)
Yeah, the sides of the nodebox use the animated texture I'd put together, similarly to the 3dforniture/homedecor wall torch. I agree about the need for having other lighting options, and I've made it so that the lava lamps can be turned on/off with a right-click.

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

thefamilygrog66 wrote:
Mihobre wrote:
thefamilygrog66 wrote:By "different colours", do you mean the colour of the base (black in the example) or the colour of the "lava"?
I mean the "lava"
That's going to take some work, I think, though it's definitely possible.

As an aside, I'm not sure what to do at this point regarding license, since I basically started with an animated gif of a real lava lamp that someone had put online, removed most of the frames, cropped it, reduced the size and resolution, and then added each frame to the .png file (along with my base and top, which is just plain black).

Does anyone know whether I'd still need permission from the person who uploaded the original .gif in order to license it as wtfpl, since I've changed it so much?
Thanks, but I prefer to use an animation created from a real lava lamp, even though it's a bit pixelized. I'd initially tried to make the shape of the model more like the one you've posted, but couldn't put the textures on it properly, without it looking bad. So I went with more of a straight cylinder style...
The shape would need to be modified, and I think the one in the animation in the first post is too wide, but I guess if it wasn't as wide, it would not fit enough detail.
markveidemanis wrote:
The speed would be slowed down, of course.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

How about this:
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

OK, I made it into a mod, not sure if it works, I haven't tested it at all yet:
http://ompldr.org/vaTNrZw/lava_lamp.zip
It doesn't work. I can fix some of it, like the node box mistake I made, but It's not worth it becuase I cant fix the animation.
Last edited by 12Me21 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

thefamilygrog66

I'm definitely going to have to redo the texture myself - I'll record one of my lava lamps - to avoid any licensing issues. I've just narrowed the model slightly, and you can see them in action here (sorry about the filesize):

Similarly to the living room furniture and beds mods, there will be a choice of colours, though not quite as many as with those mods. I might end up including lava lamps in the living room furniture mod when I'm done.

thefamilygrog66

I've redone the texture for the animation, using my own lava lamp - I'm not 100% happy with the end result, but it's working and I can now release the mod under a wtfpl. There are now 6 different colours of lava lamp, right-clickable to turn on/off, and the mod has been uploaded to github (see 1st post for link).

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

This looks really nice, especially for decoration
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

deivan

by deivan » Post

Very nice. :)

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Those lavalamps look really good!

thefamilygrog66

Thank you.

thefamilygrog66

I've changed the model for the lava lamps a bit, making them rounder, and I've also made it so that they're easier to break by hand now. Image and download link in the first post.
Last edited by thefamilygrog66 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I like these lamps. If and when colored light-rays are ever made possible in Minetest, these lamps could make use of that feature. For the time being, I think full focus is direct towards completing mapgen v7.

Zane
In-game: Zane

by Zane » Post

awesome 3D lava lanps I have a new idea for the mod ok you need to just make collered lava by having a lava bucket then you use a crafting recipe and item that has multiple collers then put iorn ingots around tha collered lava than a BAM!!!!!you have a lava lamp
Last edited by Zane on Mon Apr 22, 2013 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
home of a+ent.
note:
hi everyone im Zane and im the
creator of the sunrisetest stories.
and for a bonus im learning BASIC programing language.sunrisetest doesn't exist anymore so im planning to replace the server
replacement's name:new sunrisetest

Matsetes

by Matsetes » Post

I like it very much, will try it!

rommiekerova
In-game: Andromeda

by rommiekerova » Post

Very pretty. Thank you for this mod.
My Mods: Kerova - viewtopic.php?id=8054
My Server: Kalisae - viewtopic.php?id=9040 <--CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!