Default Male and Female Skins

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

Default Male and Female Skins

by Jordach » Post

I've noticed how little Minetest caters to people's gender; many female players such as VanessaE, do mind being portrayed as male. However, unlike Minecraft, where you can have your own skin and show it everywhere. Minetest does not have this one feature. (This is not the main point.)

Because some girls who play sandbox games want to be portrayed as a girl; perhaps that Minetest should intergrate a second player skin, akin to a more feminine appearance.

This is the possible default female skin; I've kept many of the colours the same as the male variant, however; it uses the colours from the Minetest Logo, which is .svg or the Windows Icon.

The reason why this should happen is; is because that we cater little to who plays the game; we also forget there is about 17% female Minecrafters out there. Now, the solution would be to add a client side check whether the player skin should be set as male or female; this probably could be done via: /gender male / female. Implementing this is possibly very easy.

EDIT: I'm not being sexist, but I'm noticing recently that gamers want to be portrayed as men with "big guns".
Last edited by Jordach on Fri Apr 12, 2013 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

We could use a P2P system for skins: you can use a GUI to set a skin, then other players would automagically download it. Of course, this would require some size limits (200 KB or so) so that people don't make 16384 × 8192 skins. :P

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Actually, I do mind, but I figured in the case of Minetest I can't do anything about it unless the server I'm playing on runs the player_textures mod or some equivalent (in which case I have a skin I prefer to use)
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

khonkhortisan

by khonkhortisan » Post

Would it be more gender equal to have a male and female skin?
The answer is in the question

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Anyways, this could be expanded with a nice brand new skins system, which can tag certain skins as male, female or unknown, (eg, pokemon skins.) which then can be plugged into the skins system. Because the skins system could be expanded to different types of gender, it might be possible to add things such as species, giving Minetest an even bigger audience range than previous efforts.

Another thing is, players can swap out their gender at any time, allowing the possibility of changing skins if a player decides it wants a different appearance in-game. (Highlight; I'm also giving people who are transgendered a chance with the game.) ProTip: Don't leave a type of person out, it's not racist, or against a person, it might be how the story is; but with sandbox games like Minetest, there is no limit to the player's gender, species etc.

Most games cater for the males who play video games; which is rather wrong.
Last edited by Jordach on Fri Apr 12, 2013 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

I am all for the idea of adding a default female skin. Nothing much to it really, just include the skin in default/models and register a chat command to switch gender.

A P2P system for player skins is an interesting idea too, though I would like to restrict the skin resolution as well as file size to discourage the un-checked use of inappropriate/offensive images.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

stu wrote:I am all for the idea of adding a default female skin. Nothing much to it really, just include the skin in default/models and register a chat command to switch gender.

A P2P system for player skins is an interesting idea too, though I would like to restrict the skin resolution as well as file size to discourage the un-checked use of inappropriate/offensive images.
stu, that's the general idea.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

stu wrote:I am all for the idea of adding a default female skin. Nothing much to it really, just include the skin in default/models and register a chat command to switch gender.

What about this?
Your forum account is associated with a skin file and you can login to the forum in the Minetest Main Menu.
If you join a Server and you previously logged in, other players will see your right skin.
Ingame you can distinuish forum-verified players from normal players with their green name plate
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Since the default player model and skin are set in a mod we need to make the gender specific skins in a mode too. And we already have this (like VanessaE said).

So, whats your point?

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Maybe we could make the player decide his skin (or at least gender) the first time he connects to the server, with the show formspec method (modifying my skin mod could do it, but you can write your own if you want...).
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

what do you mean by p2p?

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Linxx wrote:what do you mean by p2p?
Peer-to-peer. You basically download the textures from the server, which were sent by the clients ("real" peer-to-peer would require port forwarding).

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Why stop with just skins? I recently made a topic about Minetest having models that are like the ones we have now, but better. The topic is below. It really is a shame when beautiful ideas are forgotten.
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5222

Linxx

by Linxx » Post

Calinou wrote:
Linxx wrote:what do you mean by p2p?
Peer-to-peer. You basically download the textures from the server, which were sent by the clients ("real" peer-to-peer would require port forwarding).
oh can i get more information on this? and the port fowarding? sounds interesting...

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Inocudom wrote:Why stop with just skins? I recently made a topic about Minetest having models that are like the ones we have now, but better. The topic is below. It really is a shame when beautiful ideas are forgotten.
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5222
Custom models would be a nice feature too, why not? :)

hdastwb
GitHub: hdastwb
IRC: hdastwb
In-game: hdastwb

by hdastwb » Post

I think adding female skins is a good idea as long as it doesn't lead to sexual harassment or something like that; I'm not sure how likely that is, but the Internet sometimes has a bad reputation with that sort of thing.

Also, I wonder if we should have skins for other ethnicities as well; the Minetest guy (and now girl) are about as white as it gets.

Then again, I'm a white guy myself, so I can't really speak for anyone…

Idanwin

by Idanwin » Post

I don't think harassment will be a problem here. Most OS games have a great community and feel very friendly.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

I can has female skin?

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Other: It be great have Female model skin since, most maybe are Girls don't like being as a guy unless, they Die Hard for the Fantasize but hey can program it in the, settings.

♂♀
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

SilverWolfLily22

by SilverWolfLily22 » Post

I have a ninja girl skin and I hate it when other people use it who are guys.. I mean its PURPLE
So it would be nice if it would have tags like you mentioned :)
Good luck with it
I love hunting ;)

Menche
IRC: Menchers
In-game: Menche

by Menche » Post

I think the best would be if clients uploaded their player.png to the server if a custom texture is installed, and used the server default otherwise. This would be more flexible than just default male/female skins and more decentralized than a minecraft-like central skin database.

A site with categories of tagged skins for players to download and install on their clients makes finding skins easier, but I don't think we need another; there are already a few for Minecraft and our skins are fully compatible with theirs.
Last edited by Menche on Mon Apr 29, 2013 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
An innocent kitten dies every time you top-post.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Menche wrote:I think the best would be if clients uploaded their player.png to the server if a custom texture is installed, and used the server default otherwise. This would be more flexible than just default male/female skins and more decentralized than a minecraft-like central skin database.

A site with categories of tagged skins for players to download and install on their clients makes finding skins easier, but I don't think we need another; there are already a few for Minecraft and our skins are fully compatible with theirs.
I think players uploading own skin without any kind of moderation system is not a good idea.

inb4 pr0n skins.
Last edited by kaeza on Mon Apr 29, 2013 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Calinou

by Calinou » Post

kaeza wrote:I think players uploading own skin without any kind of moderation system is not a good idea.

inb4 pr0n skins.
Actually, in Minecraft that kind of thing rarely happens. Out of 200+ players on a server there's at most 2 players with a "pr0n skin".

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Hmm, at some point I will probably implement other ethnic skins too. But because MC has the skins system, it doesn't seem that bad.

Although a custom skins COULD BE CLIENT SIDE, say: custom_skin.png in client folder, you could have a de-centralised skin system.

Evergreen
GitHub: 4Evergreen4
IRC: EvergreenTree
In-game: Evergreen

by Evergreen » Post

Jordach wrote:Hmm, at some point I will probably implement other ethnic skins too. But because MC has the skins system, it doesn't seem that bad.

Although a custom skins COULD BE CLIENT SIDE, say: custom_skin.png in client folder, you could have a de-centralised skin system.
Yes, client skins would be great.
Back from the dead!