Bounties

tinoesroho

Bounties

by tinoesroho » Post

I really, really want to see some features get added to Minetest, so I decided I'll post bounties. Payment with be done via Paypal for monetary bounties. Digital bounties will include game coupons for various stuff from GOG.com

Gamepad Support
Description: We have custom keymapping, but we don't have gamepad support! Supertuxkart has input, why don't we? Because nobody added configurable inputs, that's why! No input selection, no gamepad recognition. :-( You know what you want to do: add a selection system, and add in gamepad recognition, and I'll be more than glad to fork over the dough.
PS: Mapping movement to joysticks would be nice. I sometimes play using Rejoystick, and I've mapped my mouse to my right joystick. Make it nice and configurable!
Loot: $50 USD(tinoesroho)

Splitscreen Support
Description: Also known as "local multiplayer", commercial games on consoles often run paralel instances of software with inputs mapped to different devices. I'd love to see it happen- allow Minetest to run in multiple windows. With a checkbox allowing "local multiplayer", this would bring the fun to the whole family! (Of course, this is only good if we have configurable gamepad support...)
Loot: $50 USD(tinoesroho)

Do you have a feature you'd like to see? Could you contribute to a rewards pot? Let me know!

If you've contributed a patch that meets my needs, let me know via PM, and I'll make sure that money gets transferred. Via Paypal, because I hate wire transfers.
Last edited by tinoesroho on Sat Apr 13, 2013 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I don't think it wise to add business aspects to an open source game. I know how the yarn ball of life rolls. Doing something like this with Minetest could provide temptations that I would rather not see.

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

... Introducing money into a system as a way of rewarding contributions is a bad idea. Myself, I find that suggestions are easy to ignore- but money, on the other hand, is not. I know other projects, like Bitcoin, have had members donate to those who create patches; I hope that by posting bounties, I will see these features get added.

And one day, I plan on giving all the developers a copy of Fallout 2 from GOG
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

Inocudom wrote:I don't think it wise to add business aspects to an open source game. I know how the yarn ball of life rolls. Doing something like this with Minetest could provide temptations that I would rather not see.
Besides which, paying someone from the community to add features just to have someone on the core development team veto the change because they don't like or are threatened by someone else's work would--wait, WILL--cause huge problems. It's not going to be pretty.

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

"Splitscreen Local Multiplayer"
Have fun buying another mouse...
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

flosslibreculture

by flosslibreculture » Post

tinoesroho wrote:... Introducing money into a system as a way of rewarding contributions is a bad idea. Myself, I find that suggestions are easy to ignore- but money, on the other hand, is not. I know other projects, like Bitcoin, have had members donate to those who create patches; I hope that by posting bounties, I will see these features get added.
Ok. I also got this reply from Adam and I understand fully, people are volunteers contributing to a free libre open source game and they do it for the fun of their heart, my donation to you are my deep thanks and me playing your game :).

Though I don't find it impossible that I'll donate btc some day to somebody for server hosting fees. Just sayin'

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

sfan5 wrote:"Splitscreen Local Multiplayer"
Have fun buying another mouse...
That wouldn't even work, you would need multiple mouse pointers, also Irrlicht needs to be able to handle multiple mouse pointers.

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

Bounties are a way to create monetary, real world, incentives without making the game closed source.

A lot of opensource projects work with bounties system.

A bount doent need to be placed by a single individual, we can setup group bounties where a set of people share the cost of the bounty in order to create larger sums of money and foster incentive.

Having good bounties will allow us to have 24/7 core developers who can dedicate all their stamina to the game...

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

I know at one time, the 0 AD project collected enough donations to pay for a core dev to take an unpaid vacation from work, allowing him to dedicate all of his time to the project. The result was that the core system got a heck of a lot more features that month, including save-game support.
We are what we create.

My github:

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

Yeah, whatever, I just feel that 50 each is just too much
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Exilyth

by Exilyth » Post

So wait... someone could write the worst error prone nonoptimized implementation ever of one of the features and get 50$?
Isn't that, like, the best way to decrease minetests quality?
I'm running 0.4.13 stable with [technic][carts][farming_plus][biome_lib][unified_inventory] and a few other mods.

Gambit

by Gambit » Post

I see nothing wrong with this idea, there are quite a few open source games that do just this to motivate developers to work.
Current Projects: MineToon | PixelBOX
Gambit's Checkmate Server - 43.65.296.232 - port: 30001

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Exilyth wrote:So wait... someone could write the worst error prone nonoptimized implementation ever of one of the features and get 50$?
Isn't that, like, the best way to decrease minetests quality?
No, it isn't. Minetest began as a horribly unoptimized, laggy, featureless mess. There's also an advantage; since you have to provide the features (read: fork), the source code is available for others to fix later.
We are what we create.

My github:

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

Bounties are great. Money for the guy who does the task, the task being more likely to be done for the guy offering the bounty.
I don't think it wise to add business aspects to an open source game.
Nonsense. Business is already heavily involved in other free software projects; people are payed to write free software by companies, and some companies (e.g. Red Hat) center their business strategy on this type of practice.

hoodedice
GitHub: hoodedice
IRC: hoodedice
In-game: hoodedice

by hoodedice » Post

onpon4 wrote:Bounties are great. Money for the guy who does the task, the task being more likely to be done for the guy offering the bounty.
I don't think it wise to add business aspects to an open source game.
Nonsense. Business is already heavily involved in other free software projects; people are payed to write free software by companies, and some companies (e.g. Red Hat) center their business strategy on this type of practice.
#Ubuntu
7:42 PM - Bauglio: I think if you go to staples you could steal firmware from a fax machine that would run better than win10 does on any platform
7:42 PM - Bauglio: so fudge the stable build
7:43 PM - Bauglio: get the staple build

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I think bounties are fine, but it should be expected that only the core dev team will get them for engine changes, where anyone could write a mod for a bounty. Otherwise the engine changes may cause more problems than they are worth in trying to get them integrated with where the core team wants to take the game. Heck there could even be a bounty section of this site. I think using Bitcoins is also a good idea.
Last edited by Neuromancer on Sun Aug 25, 2013 13:56, edited 1 time in total.

PolySaken
GitHub: PolySaken-I-Am
In-game: PolySaken

Re: Bounties

by PolySaken » Post

inputmapper and a ps4 controller is a nice way to play
Guidebook Lib, for in-game docs | Poly Decor, some cool blocks | Vision Lib, an all-purpose library.