[Modpack] Animals Modpack [2.5] -- 2.6 approaching

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

this version work well for me, the DM are maybe a little easy to kill even with a empty hand...

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

neko259 wrote:
sapier wrote:I've noticed the capital on originals too. I'll add an additional configuration parameter "name" automaticaly switched by language settings too. For now just changing the names would result in worlds with many unknown entities what i didn't want to do.
Name and description are different fields. Changing description won't do nothing to the world I think.
Yeh thats true, the Description field is only used for tooltips ^_^

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

by now they need 50 hits to die no matter what you are wearing is this to easy? Or do they need less hits than expected?

@neko259 Yes I know they are but by now name is set to description field too. Thats done because animals are created by a function that doesn't use different fields for name and description by now. I'll add this feature combined with a code reorganization and a translation support as soon as I have time to do it. This realease was primary intended to make animals work with new git release again ;-)
Last edited by sapier on Tue Jan 24, 2012 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T mention coding style!
(c) sapier all rights reserved

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

sapier wrote:do they need less hits than expected?)
yes i "think" i kill a DM with around 10 hits... but i'm not certain... i'll retry.

randomproof

by randomproof » Post

I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet or not, but it would be nice if the different animals or groups of animals were in mods or even just separate files so that there was an easy way to have some but not all. For example, say I just wanted farm animals and not fish.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Is it my bug or chicken top texture is missing? When I look at it from above, I see a blank selection box.
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

celeron55
Administrator
GitHub: celeron55
IRC: celeron55

by celeron55 » Post

randomproof wrote:I don't know if anyone has suggested this yet or not, but it would be nice if the different animals or groups of animals were in mods or even just separate files so that there was an easy way to have some but not all. For example, say I just wanted farm animals and not fish.
This mod is pretty vast and it probably should be split somehow. For starters, maybe create a "moblib" mod that only has a single purpose; providing a generic way of creating mobs. (Mobs = not-so-clever creatures that basically work as a resource but are alive and move around, and sometimes fight back. Basically all animals and monsters.)

It should not have any bias towards this mod and in the future it probably could be pulled upstream.

This mod should then be based on it, possibly also being split to different kinds of animals as you suggest. (not too many, but maybe eg. farm animals, wild animals and fantasy animals. And one that implements the minetest monsters.)

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Ok I think it's time to write some design documentation, I'll add it to next release but want to answer some questions right now.

@randomproof as animals are just configuration sets this wouldn't be a problem at all. I already intended to use some configuration parameters.

@celeron
animals is not a implementation of cow,sheep, vampire dm etc but already designed as the modlib you are talking about.

A animal is added by creating a set of configuration parametes, drawing pictures and calling "animals_add_animal(parameterset)" on this.

Basicaly animals mod consists of following parts:
*Configurable movement generator
->flying
->jumping
->movement prediction
->position validation
->some predefined parametersets for movement generator
->...

*Harvest/Drop engine
->simple harvest delay
->animal transformation on harvest
->catching of animals

*Fighting engine
->short range attack
->long range attack

*management functions
->example parameter/graphics set of mobs

*spawn engine
->different spawn modes (not configurable by now)
->population density check
Last edited by sapier on Wed Jan 25, 2012 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Also: I've captured a cow with lasso, and it turned to unknown item (I can't get rid of it now).

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

It will be nice if the cow and the sheep "eat" (remove) the grass, flowers, mushrooms... !?
Last edited by rinoux on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Creepers destroying houses (or they already do that?) and vampires stealing torches :3

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@neko259
creepers already destroy houses ...

vampires stealing torches? I don't think thats a good idea, how to protect your home if torches aren't a protection anymore?

@rinoux
adding that features would add a dependency to the modules adding those items so i don't think it's going to be in animals anytime soon ...
but ... im currently doing a major code reorganization to make the modular design more obvious and fixing issunes that sometimes broke the modularizatin. So probably creating an addon mod enabling animals to do that will be possible soon.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

Version 0.9.9 is out. In this Version there are very little lines of code that didn't get touched so please do a intense test. I've also added lots of documentation within code as well as separatly distributed in doc folder. But it's still far from complete.

@neko259 chicken top texture is really missing. I've used rinoux profile image as chicken (you probably already noticed that) Same problem is for fish too rinoux only provided a single view and I'm really bad in drawing.

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

sapier wrote:Version 0.9.9 is out. In this Version there are very little lines of code that didn't get touched so please do a intense test. I've also added lots of documentation within code as well as separatly distributed in doc folder. But it's still far from complete.

@neko259 chicken top texture is really missing. I've used rinoux profile image as chicken (you probably already noticed that) Same problem is for fish too rinoux only provided a single view and I'm really bad in drawing.
+1 for new release ^_^ will test in a few mins
Last edited by dannydark on Sat Jan 28, 2012 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Chicken still misses top texture, everything else seems to work.
BTW, I've just seen a cow running from the ground to the deepest sea :) Maybe you have to restrict them from going to the deep waters?

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

I'll do some graphics today... and testing of the new version.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

I've succeeded in killing a vampire with a gun from gun mod. Now the game would become more intresting :)

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

Rat Image
Clownfish Image
Vampire Image
Last edited by rinoux on Sun Jan 29, 2012 00:41, edited 1 time in total.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

rinoux wrote:Rat Image
Maybe add a cat chasing rats and killing them? :3

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@neko259
There already are some mechanisms trying to avoid land animals running to water. They sometimes fail but in this case the animal should drown soon. Does your cow still run on seaground?

Shooting animals isn't as expected by now as animals don't have any health until lua entity health patch is applied to minetest.

neko259

by neko259 » Post

Does your cow still run on seaground?
I don't know, I've gone testing other things then.
Shooting animals is just fine for now. Of course the patch would make them more difficult to kill, I'll wait for it :)
What about poor chickens?

dannydark

by dannydark » Post

@sapier I've listed your Patch in the wiki patchsets page in hope it will get sent upstream quicker ^_^

http://c55.me/minetest/wiki/doku.php?id ... for_review

kahrl

by kahrl » Post

IMO, each entity should also have a maximum HP value and getMaxHP() and setMaxHP() methods, and setHP() should limit its argument to the range [0, getMaxHP()]. The same interface should be implemented for players too (either implemented the same way, or return a constant maximum HP of 20). get_max_hp and set_max_hp methods should be exposed to Lua. The max HP should be serialized into static object data.

sapier
Developer

by sapier » Post

@kahrl I agree your proposal would be even better. But it's only additional code so adding the small patch won't interfere if anyone wants to add that later. Your proposal would be better in "feature discussion" as noone will find it within this thread ;-)
Last edited by sapier on Sat Jan 28, 2012 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

rinoux

by rinoux » Post

I've found a little problem with rats, they are too many at the same place... 12 !!