Infinite (looking) World

ch98

Infinite (looking) World

by ch98 » Post

To make world feel more like earth, connect edges of world by showing opposite edge at edge and teleporting to opposite edge when you go too far. (it technically will make a donut) also create time zones and make north and south pole. Top should be kept the same but bottom will be a few thousand layer of lava with few layer of indestructible block. This should create complete illusion that you are on some kind of planet and not diskworld.
Last edited by ch98 on Mon May 13, 2013 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

There will be troubling glitches near the wraparound due to the imprecision of doubles which Irrlicht uses. This could be remedied by moving the world mesh, leaving the camera in 0,0,0 in Irrlicht space.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.
This is a signature virus. Add me to your signature so that I can multiply.
Now working on my own clone, Mosstest.
I guess I'm back for some time.

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

How would that work in multiplayer?

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

Traxie21 wrote:How would that work in multiplayer?
The camera is moved locally. Any other players would simply be rendered relative to that point. SO, if my character is at 100,100,100 in Minetest space(camera is 0,0,0 in Irrlicht space), a player in 101, 102, 103 in Minetest space would just be rendered as 1,2,3 in Irrlicht space.
Last edited by rarkenin on Thu Apr 18, 2013 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Admin pro tempore on 0gb.us:30000. Ask me if you have a problem, or just want help.

rubenwardy
GitHub: rubenwardy
IRC: rubenwardy
In-game: rubenwardy

by rubenwardy » Post

This has been suggested before. It will not be a doughnut / torus, it will be as if you have got a piece of paper, and wrapped it around to make a cylinder.

Map generation will need to be changed, so that they link together.

A better way of doing this would not to teleport the camera, but to make it loop from +X back to -X

x = 31,000
Last edited by rubenwardy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Renewed Tab (my browser add-on) | Donate | Mods | Minetest Modding Book

Hello profile reader

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Why can't /teleport x,y,z to the opposite side, what's the problem with that?

rarkenin

by rarkenin » Post

rubenwardy wrote:This has been suggested before. It will not be a doughnut / torus, it will be as if you have got a piece of paper, and wrapped it around to make a cylinder.

A better way of doing this would not to teleport the camera, but to make it loop from +X back to -X

x = 31,000
I don't think you've understood the issue at hand. At over 16000ish in Irrlicht space, the rendering becomes very buggy due to Irrlicht limitations. Keeping thecamera and generating a wraparound world mesh would be better.

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

rubenwardy wrote:This has been suggested before. It will not be a doughnut / torus, it will be as if you have got a piece of paper, and wrapped it around to make a cylinder.

x = 31,000
So what happens when you go off the top of the map? I guess there is no reason to not do the same there. Conceptually it's like bending your paper cylinder so the ends meet up, you would indeed create a torus. Of course this would be physically impossible to do with paper but not so with numbers.

+1 Do like the idea.
Last edited by stu on Fri Apr 19, 2013 20:05, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

Just imagine what will one see while standing in one of the corners of the world.
And then answer this question: is it possible to walk diagonally and not be teleported multiple times before you'll end up in the opposite corner? And how much that will affect other players? And who will teach everyone how to "cross the world's edge" properly?

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

4aiman wrote:Just imagine what will one see while standing in one of the corners of the world.
And then answer this question: is it possible to walk diagonally and not be teleported multiple times before you'll end up in the opposite corner? And how much that will affect other players? And who will teach everyone how to "cross the world's edge" properly?
Teleporting is a bad idea anyway (imo) and there should be no reason to do that. The map can simply wrap around itself, player coordinates needn't have to change.

After some contemplation, I realise that if such a wrapping of the mapgen were implemented, it would give more the effect of a spherical world like the one we all know. This could work well even if the map size were limited to, say +/-16000

A truly toroidal world would be shorter on the inside and longer on the outside, which would not be the case here.
Last edited by stu on Sat Apr 20, 2013 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

quick.dudley

by quick.dudley » Post

rarkenin wrote:
Traxie21 wrote:How would that work in multiplayer?
The camera is moved locally. Any other players would simply be rendered relative to that point. SO, if my character is at 100,100,100 in Minetest space(camera is 0,0,0 in Irrlicht space), a player in 101, 102, 103 in Minetest space would just be rendered as 1,2,3 in Irrlicht space.
IMHO patching the renderer like this is a good idea regardless of whether the torus idea gets implemented on top of it.
Then the main issue would be getting the map generator to avoid making ugly seams where the edges wrap around.

ch98

by ch98 » Post

stu wrote:

x = 31,000
So what happens when you go off the top of the map? I guess there is no reason to not do the same there. Conceptually it's like bending your paper cylinder so the ends meet up, you would indeed create a torus. Of course this would be physically impossible to do with paper but not so with numbers.

+1 Do like the idea.
If you do same on top of the map, there will be no more sun and world will have a cobble on top. Maybe you go to heaven and die at top with while light and go to hell and die at bottom with red light.
Last edited by ch98 on Mon May 13, 2013 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.