What can we expect from 0.4.7?

Psychotic

What can we expect from 0.4.7?

by Psychotic » Post

Just asking, ive noticed a lot of cool things such as a new menu for when you boot up the game that looks really nice, ive also heard of ruby tools, colored lights, and a few other things, but im intrested to see what may be implemented in 0.4.7

P.S. im talking about PilzAdam's builds
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

Aqua

by Aqua » Post

Just be patient and wait until the developers release it.
Hi there ^.~

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Aqua wrote:Just be patient and wait until the developers release it.
So? that mean i cant ask?
My history isn't revenge, or hate. The road that brought us both here - isn't about that. It's about the message you carried. The one in that package whether you knew it or not. - Ulysses from Lonesome Road

ch98

by ch98 » Post

look at daily builds.
For Ubuntu
I have stopped playing minetest, and may not come back to it again. I would like to thank everyone that made the amazing time I had playing it. This account is not in use anymore, and the email has been linked to a unused account. If any administrator reading this has time, feel free to delete my account. Thank you very much for the great experience.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Would there be daily builds for windows?

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Psychotic wrote:Would there be daily builds for windows?
PilzAdam tries to keep the Win builds up to date. He usually releases a new one when there's a (somewhat) big feature added.
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Psychotic wrote:Would there be daily builds for windows?
You can find my daily builds at http://sfan.sf.funpic.de/minetest-builds
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

It seems like colored lighting will not go into 0.4.7 (thats not official).

Things that are already done can be found here: http://dev.minetest.net/Changelog#0.4.6_.E2.86.92_.3F

One thing that is planned to be added into 0.4.7 is leveldb. Also a GUI for all the mapgen settings when creating the world was in discussion.

For the redesigned main menu: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5289 we have very few suggestions currently. But the chances that this goes into 0.4.7 are quite good.
Also RealBadAngel is working on a GUI for the whole minetest.conf, but it seems like this will take a while.

Maybe I will work on including farming into the default game(s), dunno.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

PilzAdam wrote:It seems like colored lighting will not go into 0.4.7 (thats not official).

Things that are already done can be found here: http://dev.minetest.net/Changelog#0.4.6_.E2.86.92_.3F

One thing that is planned to be added into 0.4.7 is leveldb. Also a GUI for all the mapgen settings when creating the world was in discussion.

For the redesigned main menu: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5289 we have very few suggestions currently. But the chances that this goes into 0.4.7 are quite good.
Also RealBadAngel is working on a GUI for the whole minetest.conf, but it seems like this will take a while.

Maybe I will work on including farming into the default game(s), dunno.
Farming would be a nice feature, maybe a crafting bench as well?

Zeg9

by Zeg9 » Post

Psychotic wrote:Farming would be a nice feature, maybe a crafting bench as well?
In my opinion farming should be in default game, or at least in common, but certainly no crafting bench (or, only in survival game).
I made a few (a lot of?) mods for minetest: here is a list.
See also the MT-Faithful texture pack (work in progress).

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Post

Zeg9 wrote:only in survival game
+1 for crafting bench in survival

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

Zeg9 wrote:
Psychotic wrote:Farming would be a nice feature, maybe a crafting bench as well?
In my opinion farming should be in default game, or at least in common, but certainly no crafting bench (or, only in survival game).
Yeah, i meant it for survival, feels too creative like without a crafting bench/.

0gb.us

by 0gb.us » Post

PilzAdam wrote:One thing that is planned to be added into 0.4.7 is leveldb. Also a GUI for all the mapgen settings when creating the world was in discussion.
YES!! I've been wanting LevelDB since I first heard it was a possibility. A GUI for the settings will also be nice. No more shutting down Minetest, editing minetest.conf, and starting Minetest back up before creating a world.
Crafting benches? Really? Personally, I hope those are never added.

Crafting benches have nothing to do with creative/non-creative. They don't spawn items out of nowhere.
Last edited by 0gb.us on Sat Apr 20, 2013 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Psychotic

by Psychotic » Post

0gb.us wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:One thing that is planned to be added into 0.4.7 is leveldb. Also a GUI for all the mapgen settings when creating the world was in discussion.
YES!! I've been wanting LevelDB since I first heard it was a possibility. A GUI for the settings will also be nice. No more shutting down Minetest, editing minetest.conf, and starting Minetest back up before creating a world.
Crafting benches? Really? Personally, I hope those are never added.

Crafting benches have nothing to do with creative/non-creative. They don't spawn items out of nowhere.
Its for survival.

DERP

by DERP » Post

I would love it if a crafting bench was added~~~

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

DERP wrote:I would love it if a crafting bench was added~~~
You could just install the Crafting Mod
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

DERP

by DERP » Post

sfan5 wrote:
Yeah, but a lot of people wouldnt like to have to install mods for every little thing, personally, i have no problem with it, but for someone who came from minecraft, it could be annoying with all the mods.

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

DERP wrote:
sfan5 wrote:
Yeah, but a lot of people wouldnt like to have to install mods for every little thing, personally, i have no problem with it, but for someone who came from minecraft, it could be annoying with all the mods.
Are you serious? Minetest's mod support must be wonderful for people who come from Minecraft.

CryAngel

by CryAngel » Post

mods are good, btw will be really good to have some official repo + in game mod manager, capable download from this repo. i just sure, most ppl annoyed not about mods, but about need search them and manually install. and about crafting bench - sure, is not needed for ppl who want just build great things, but i think for survival is perfectly fit.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

PilzAdam wrote:
DERP wrote:
sfan5 wrote: You could just install the Crafting Mod
Are you serious? Minetest's mod support must be wonderful for people who come from Minecraft.
The problem is there are loads of MT mods which minecrafter would like to see and which is not in default game.
Most of minecrafters can't install mods on their own, so try to convince them that MT mods are easy to install.

AS for minetesters - many of them tired of installing this and that. Minetest mod support IS awesome, but get real, no one wants to download every mod separately.

I've a suggestion how to ease our "pain", but it's unlikely that will be accepted anyway...
Last edited by 4aiman on Sat Apr 20, 2013 16:44, edited 1 time in total.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

CryAngel wrote:mods are good, btw will be really good to have some official repo + in game mod manager, capable download from this repo. i just sure, most ppl annoyed not about mods, but about need search them and manually install. and about crafting bench - sure, is not needed for ppl who want just build great things, but i think for survival is perfectly fit.
+100
PilzAdam wrote:
DERP wrote:
sfan5 wrote: You could just install the Crafting Mod
i agree

mauvebic

by mauvebic » Post

4aiman wrote:
PilzAdam wrote:
DERP wrote: Yeah, but a lot of people wouldnt like to have to install mods for every little thing, personally, i have no problem with it, but for someone who came from minecraft, it could be annoying with all the mods.
AS for minetesters - many of them tired of installing this and that. Minetest mod support IS awesome, but get real, no one wants to download every mod separately.

I've a suggestion how to ease our "pain", but it's unlikely that will be accepted anyway...
The onus is on modders to get better at what they do. This means, but is not limited to:
A) Merging small mods with enough common elements
B) Not turning simple mods into behemoths
C) Not making several implementations of the same ideas, much less the same code
D) Not assuming that people are playing with just one's own mods
E) Not always blaming the engine/API when one hits some sort of limit or roadblock
F) Not demanding cpp solutions to problems that can be solved easily in lua

E and F are somewhat interchangeable.