Minetest for consoles? Programming for the Wii

For people working on the C++ code.
Michael Eh?

Minetest for consoles? Programming for the Wii

by Michael Eh? » Post

I was given a Wii since the person bought a new one. I still have to fix the laser in the drive but what about a translation of Minetest for the Wii?

I have been looking into it. One of the resouces I found here.

Codemii Wii Programing Tutorials

It might be more than I can chew. Still the I can see it working with Wiimote with nutchuck.

What are your thoughts? Possible? Not?

sfan5
GitHub: sfan5
IRC: sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

It's possible, but Not easy
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

what about gamecube controller support

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

oooo if you make it an iso file that would be sweet!! :D minetest on cd!
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Well the link I post talks about controls. In fact, their technic is to get it to work on Gamecube emulator first.

The DEVKITPRO which they recommend also has kits for PSP and DS. It's a question of time and experience. Obvoiusly since Wiimote is a pointing device much like the mouse. It's mapping keyboard controls to limited Wiimote-nutchuck or gamecube controller. Recent update support USB keyboard but that seems to work with the recent browser but not active otherwise.

GC controller is best because having to constantly hold the wiimote in a game like Minetest would be tiring.

Still those interested should check CodeMii site. Many hacks for the Wii and links to other projects.

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Here is some Controls:

Would this setup work? Image

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Jordach wrote:Here is some Controls:

Would this setup work? Image
+2 for this Idea
Mods: Mesecons | WorldEdit | Nuke & Minetest builds for Windows (32-bit & 64-bit)

IPushButton2653

by IPushButton2653 » Post

I would buy this if someone made it. I have a wii, and would love to see a GC controller for this game

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

since I have about 6 of them sitting about.

edit: cube controllers.

edit2: ill work for the ds since i have a r4 / suopercard
Last edited by Jordach on Thu Jan 26, 2012 17:42, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

I don't think that that map for gamecube would translate well for the Wiimote.

Wii Programing Tutorial - Controller Input

I would map A for action (Left click) B for Build (right click) since these are the primary functions for Minetest and A/B are the primary buttons on both controllers.

Z works for me as inventory.

How should OPTIONS be handled? Start on GameCube but what on Wiimote?

X(on GameCubeController)==1(on WiiMote) = Run
Y(on GameCubeController)==2(on WiiMote) = Fly

There is no equivalant for Left and Right on Wiimote. Plus(+) and Minus(-) but not very useful.

Thoughts?

Jordach

by Jordach » Post

they could have separate controls.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Not really. You want to keep things consistant between the various controllers used. There is also the controller that connects to the Wiimote. It would be confusing. Not to mention that the new Wii doesn't even have GameCube connections.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

then make it for gamecube :)

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Actually the Wii is Gamecube U ... or a suped up Gamecube. So programming for the Wii is programming gamecube.

My point was that mapping functions for both controllers is important. A button is 'A' no matter if you have a Wiimote or Gamecube controller. It would be MORE work to have 2 seperate or different button maps. You would have to detect which controller is being used then what button is pressed.

You don't have the luxury of a keyboard of a computer. You have the VERY limited option of maybe a half dozen buttons at best for a console and even purest would have just direction and fire.

IPushButton2653

It can't be that hard to have an in-game control scheme changer, can it? I mean, just about every game I play, MT, MC, Smash Bros, etc... All have customizable controls. It would save time and arguing so the smart people could get to how to get it onto a disc to see if it works :D

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

It would not be a disc... but downloadable onto a SD card which you then could put into your Wii. That way, it can be updated. There is a bunch of homebrew out there for the Wii.

sfan5

by sfan5 » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:It would not be a disc... but downloadable onto a SD card which you then could put into your Wii. That way, it can be updated. There is a bunch of homebrew out there for the Wii.
Some People (like me) don't like Homebrews.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Okay here's the two controllers for the Wii. (The wii joystick is same as Gamecube controller but also has a Left Z button.)

The wiimote with nutchuck...

My thoughts on control options...

A - Action (Dig/attack/selection)
B - Build (Place block, open furnance, chest/lock chest)
X-1 - Climb up/jump
Y-2 - Climb down
D-pad -
< > - select tool/block/object in tool bar
< > ^ v - move in inventory, furnance, chests menus.

C stick (wii point) - look/point

L (plus) - Toggle movement (Walk, Run, Sneak)
R (minus) - Free move (Fly)

Start-Home - Main menu

Joystick - Move.

Change control options via main menu.
Options like fog Off/On to be a submenu.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Of course, the real challenge other than getting it to work on the Wii is T for talk.

IPushButton2653

T for talk.......for GCN could be Z and for Wii, the home button opens up the menu, but chat box opens above it?

Example:
Chatbox

Menu option
menu option....

Gatharoth

by Gatharoth » Post

Michael Eh? wrote:Actually the Wii is Gamecube U ... or a suped up Gamecube. So programming for the Wii is programming gamecube.

My point was that mapping functions for both controllers is important. A button is 'A' no matter if you have a Wiimote or Gamecube controller. It would be MORE work to have 2 seperate or different button maps. You would have to detect which controller is being used then what button is pressed.

You don't have the luxury of a keyboard of a computer. You have the VERY limited option of maybe a half dozen buttons at best for a console and even purest would have just direction and fire.
Well, technically there isn't much limitation. I mean they could do instead, have a "morph" button, which doubles the amount of effects 1 button can do. And since there is "+" and "-" buttons on the wii remote, as long as you have the nunchuck, you should be fine.

Going by the fact that the GameCube control won't have morphers, and the Wii would. There is a total of... 30 effects one could have. That is of course, counting each direction of the D-pad on the wii remote, as well as both the plus and minus being morphers.

With the GameCube controller, with no morphers, there would be a total of 11 effects, again this is including an effect for each direction of the D-pad. This is not including the C-stick. With a morpher, which I would suggest the C-Stick, would give a total of 7 possible morphers, giving you a total of 88 possibilities. Again, including 1 effect for each direction of the D-pad.

Yes the wii would have about 1/3 of the GameCube controller, but most people would not use the C-stick as a morpher because it would be used for looking. So in the end, you would be getting more with the Wii remote than you would with a GameCube controller.

Edit: Now for the GameCube controller C-stick morpher to work, you would need to have some sort of activator, which would basically be another morpher. My suggestion would be the A button, since it is most commonly used for the "action" button. Also, while holding a "morph" button, or "activator" movement and changing view direction should be disabled, then enabled after it is no long held down.
Last edited by Gatharoth on Thu Feb 09, 2012 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Eh?

by Michael Eh? » Post

Since the wii can point like a mouse, match that with 'C' with the GC controller. Still its getting it to run on the Wii first is the biggest step.