[Mod] MC-like Crafting [2.0.1] [crafting]

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
Mito551 wrote:would you please remind me... why do you play minetest?
Please ignore this guy, he is an anti-minecraft extremist. LOL.
actually, don't ignore me. maybe only this time.

but the question was adressed to blockmen.

BlockMen
Developer
GitHub: BlockMen

by BlockMen » Post

Mito551 wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:
Mito551 wrote:would you please remind me... why do you play minetest?
Please ignore this guy, he is an anti-minecraft extremist. LOL.
actually, don't ignore me. maybe only this time.

but the question was adressed to blockmen.
How i said sometimes before: " In my opinion Minetest is to become a better Minecraft. But that includes of cause also Minecraft features..."
And to this mod, in my opinion it makes more fun using a workbench for crafting.

Furthermore: I dont really know what you aiming at with your question. This is a mod, so you dont have to add this.
And why not offering the possiblity to change the way of crafting? As you can see here there are ppl who are interested in this too.
so: What's your beef?!

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

My two cents, BlockMens mods have a sense of completeness that I admire, I don't really mind that the mods are minecraft-like.

Nebucad

by Nebucad » Post

I love the idea of more equipment in Minetest, this mod is for my taste to similar to minecraft.
It'll be great if you can chage it.

I know your goal was the workbench has to look equally but this isn`t the right way at all.
Our goal should be to make it better not just to copy it.

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

BlockMen wrote:....
so: What's your beef?!
in no way i was trying to say that it is bad, mostly because it is optional. and i just wondered, why would you play minetest if you make minecraft mods. ok, i got your idea/point
Traxie21 wrote:My two cents, BlockMens mods have a sense of completeness that I admire, I don't really mind that the mods are minecraft-like.
what, you're saying that others don't?

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

Many mods seem half-complete, like mine. BlockMen's seem complete.

stu
GitHub: stujones11

by stu » Post

BlockMen wrote:Please give Feedback and ideas for improvement
Can you tell me how this mod differs from the existing workbench mod(s) other that the MC background?

Only I looked at the code and I really do not understand why you need to use global step for this. Perhaps I am missing something here but I suggest you look at workbench mod by darkrose.

https://github.com/darkrose/minetest_mo ... /workbench

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

stu wrote:
BlockMen wrote:Please give Feedback and ideas for improvement
Can you tell me how this mod differs from the existing workbench mod(s) other that the MC background?

Only I looked at the code and I really do not understand why you need to use global step for this. Perhaps I am missing something here but I suggest you look at workbench mod by darkrose.

https://github.com/darkrose/minetest_mo ... /workbench
BlockMen wrote: Notice:
- I know there are already 2 mods with workbenches, but this one works in a different way, because it uses the default inventory and works faster (for me)
This mod uses the players inventory. so it works complete different to the existing mods. the global step is needed to make using of players inventory possible. my mod is (for me) much faster and the code is also much smaller.

stu

by stu » Post

BlockMen wrote: This mod uses the players inventory. so it works complete different to the existing mods. the global step is needed to make using of players inventory possible. my mod is (for me) much faster and the code is also much smaller.
Oh, I see, so it replenishes the crafting ingredients directly from the player's inventory? (I don't actually play minecraft)

That is fine if you are happy with it, you did ask for feedback. I still don't think you're making best use of the api though.

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
BlockMen wrote: This mod uses the players inventory. so it works complete different to the existing mods. the global step is needed to make using of players inventory possible. my mod is (for me) much faster and the code is also much smaller.
Oh, I see, so it replenishes the crafting ingredients directly from the player's inventory? (I don't actually play minecraft)

That is fine if you are happy with it, you did ask for feedback. I still don't think you're making best use of the api though.
That's the thing. HE IS. This mod changes the client side inventory on the fly so you don't get any server lag.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

stu

by stu » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:
stu wrote:

That's the thing. HE IS. This mod changes the client side inventory on the fly so you don't get any server lag.
Ok now I get it, very clever then. Shame we have to resort to such tactics, but if it gets the job done...

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

stu wrote:
jordan4ibanez wrote:
stu wrote: Oh, I see, so it replenishes the crafting ingredients directly from the player's inventory? (I don't actually play minecraft)

Ok now I get it, very clever then. Shame we have to resort to such tactics, but if it gets the job done...
That isn't resorting to tactics, since any other way the gui would be handled serverside it would be laggy, this is a good idea.

ALSO: BlockMen can you make the workbench get the player's position also? you can move around without changing your yaw.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

darket

by darket » Post

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Thanks for this great review!

Could you move the download link in the description to this topic? There will be a few updates more i guess.

jordan4ibanez wrote: BlockMen can you make the workbench get the player's position also? you can move around without changing your yaw.
Good idea, thanks.

TheBonsai

by TheBonsai » Post

jordan4ibanez wrote:ALSO: BlockMen can you make the workbench get the player's position also? you can move around without changing your yaw.
The yaw-method to detect when to swap back is a thing I didn't mention yesterday, because I didn't see any practical solution. Is this the only way (i.e." workaround" :-) )

darket

by darket » Post

BlockMen wrote:Thanks for this great review!

Could you move the download link in the description to this topic? There will be a few updates more i guess.
Ok, I'll do that

Mito551

by Mito551 » Post

will you make support for creative? that's the only thing that this mod is bad with, at least as I see it.

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

darket wrote:
BlockMen wrote:Thanks for this great review!

Ok, I'll do that
Thx
Mito551 wrote:will you make support for creative? that's the only thing that this mod is bad with, at least as I see it.
Yes, it will get a Minecraft like creative inventory too. But its not finished yet...
Last edited by BlockMen on Sun Apr 21, 2013 13:11, edited 1 time in total.

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

BlockMen, please, check your code: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 858#p85858
(Thanks to Mito for redirecting me here - I couldn't find this topic for some reason...)

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

4aiman wrote:BlockMen, please, check your code: http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php ... 858#p85858
(Thanks to Mito for redirecting me here - I couldn't find this topic for some reason...)
Well, AFIK Crafting doesnt have this issue, because there the width is always set. So please report that to jojoa1997 he has modiefied my mod when he joined it in his inventory mod. Furthermore im not involved in MiniTest...

4aiman

by 4aiman » Post

I know you aren't involved into Minitest, but I remembered this mod of yours and eventually end up posting here.
Anyway, thanks for help! ;)

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

4aiman wrote:I know you aren't involved into Minitest, but I remembered this mod of yours and eventually end up posting here.
Sry that i cant help you here, but i wont start to analyse jojoa1997's code ;)
Last edited by BlockMen on Mon Apr 22, 2013 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

BlockMen wrote:
4aiman wrote:I know you aren't involved into Minitest, but I remembered this mod of yours and eventually end up posting here.
Sry that i cant help you here, but i wont start to analyse jojoa1997's code ;)
I made it. The inventory looks similar but isn't the same. Look at changelog.txt to see who did what but remember I edit a lot of the stuff.
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

BlockMen
Developer

by BlockMen » Post

Update: [Modpack] Craft added
(and multiplayer issues fixed)

I have decided to Pre-Release a new feature of Crafting, the creative Inventory:

To install download this modpackand make sure that the current version of crafting is deinstalled. The lastest Minetestversion will produce a warning because of two mods with same name (but has no effect after all). Hopfully that will changed in future Minetest versions.

Download Pre-Release here

A Feedback to the creative inventory would be nice, because there could still be bugs.

u34

by u34 » Post

awesome mod.. keep on good work...