Give the Minetest core engine a new name

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

Calinou wrote:FreeMine, because:
- it implies the game is free and open source
- it's a sandbox game (you can do whatever you want)
- it's fast to pronounce :P
There's the Mine thing again. Dangit, the core should enable ANYTHING. FPSes, RTSes, MMOs... Why should we be limited to mining?
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

tinoesroho

by tinoesroho » Post

celeron55 wrote:I don't really think this should be a sticky or anything though. It's just a suggestion like anything else. Chances are we don't rename anything to anything.

It's funny though how every american seems to be completely uncomfortable with the word "test", while for every other part of the world it's remarkably fine.
Half of Americans have lower than average IQ. Go figure that out. :-)
We are what we create.

I tinker and occasionally make (lousy) mods. Currently building an MMO subgame and updating mods. Pirate Party of Canada member. Sporadic author. 21 years old.

My github:
https://github.com/tinoesroho/

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

celeron55 wrote:It's funny though how every american seems to be completely uncomfortable with the word "test", while for every other part of the world it's remarkably fine.
Well, I, at least, always use and hear the word "test" to mean some sort of examination; for example, a test to see how efficient the function "foo" is, or a test to see how well someone understands trigonometry, or a test to see how much you can push someone's buttons before they get really pissed off. For example, Debian Testing is a branch of Debian that is not ready for a stable release; it's being checked for bugs and such.

It looks like "test" can also mean "challenge" according to Wiktionary, and I guess that's where the name "Minetest" comes from, but that's not a way I or anyone I know uses the word, and it's not listed in any other dictionary I know of (I tried Oxford, Merriam-webster, American Heritage, and Dictionary.com).
Last edited by onpon4 on Wed May 01, 2013 13:32, edited 1 time in total.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Is Minetest called, Minetest form Testing out a new way for a MC-Clone?
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

IF YOU DID CHANGE THE NAME: THE API WOULD FOLLOW.

So all mods would automatically become broken. There is no point to this whatsoever.

Another one of the bad ideas the lead devs have.

You change the name: you fuck up all Google links and have to do all of the SEO AGAIN.

Please listen for once, I know it's hard....
Last edited by Jordach on Wed May 01, 2013 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

Jordach wrote:IF YOU DID CHANGE THE NAME: THE API WOULD FOLLOW.

So all mods would automatically become broken. There is no point to this whatsoever.

You change the name: you fuck up all Google links and have to do all of the SEO AGAIN.

i agree. if anything just change what we call the core/engine or how about we all just call the engine the minetest engine or just the engine
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

Jordach wrote:Another one of the bad ideas the lead devs have.
AFAIK VanessaE is not a core dev.

neron

by neron » Post

Count my vote as leaving it the same. I voted previously for openmine and openminer I think, but after hearing this, let's stick with minetest. Good to know someone is thinking!

PilzAdam
GitHub: PilzAdam
IRC: PilzAdam

by PilzAdam » Post

neron wrote:

Count my vote as leaving it the same. I voted previously for openmine and openminer I think, but after hearing this, let's stick with minetest. Good to know someone is thinking!
FYI, the API is not the problem at all. One line in builtin can fix this:

Code: Select all

minetest = <whatever_new_name>
Last edited by PilzAdam on Wed May 01, 2013 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

12Me21
GitHub: 12Me21

by 12Me21 » Post

Whats going to happen when minetest is not a test anymore, it's a finished game? Also, minetest has more crafting than minecraft (because you don't need a crafting table), so maybe mesecraft or something?

PS:
minetest=
mesetint
The only difference is that the "in" and "es" are in different places
Shoutouts to Simpleflips

jojoa1997

by jojoa1997 » Post

I like mesetint. Not to different from the original(current) name
Coding;
1X coding
3X debugging
12X tweaking to be just right

aldobr

by aldobr » Post

When someone hear "minetest" (someone who doesnt know about this game but knows about minecraft) the person will think/imply two things:

1 - This is another opensource game that tries to mimmick minecraft
2 - This game is so "alpha" (ie.: unfinished) that it is still only a "test", not a full fledged game on its own...

onpon4
GitHub: onpon4
In-game: diligentcircle

by onpon4 » Post

aldobr wrote:2 - This game is so "alpha" (ie.: unfinished) that it is still only a "test", not a full fledged game on its own...
I didn't even think it was that much from the name "minetest". I inferred that it must be some one-off experiment someone did, or something like that, perhaps as some proof-of-concept. I never imagined that it was a game in active development. (By the way, "infer" is what you mean, not "imply". Implication is in what you mean, inference is in what you think someone means.)

prestidigitator

by prestidigitator » Post

aldobr wrote:When someone hear "minetest" (someone who doesnt know about this game but knows about minecraft) the person will think/imply two things:

1 - This is another opensource game that tries to mimmick minecraft
2 - This game is so "alpha" (ie.: unfinished) that it is still only a "test", not a full fledged game on its own...
Both things are absolutely true, so I don't see a problem with the current name.

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

If freemine wins I will never update minetest again... I prefer minetest, I find nothing wrong with it. (when I first heard of portal, I thought it had something to do with doors) donc ouvrir la porte s'il vous plait.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

hmmmm

by hmmmm » Post

I hope you people realize that we would be changing the name of the core, and not the name of the game (minetest).
This was not some arbitrary idea from VanessaE like you make it out to be either. It was originally her suggestion, but it's one that I and many others support and really makes sense once you think about it.
Everybody seems to conflate Minetest the core and Minetest the game all too often, which you can see when players talk about how "minetest has gone to shit" and the "developers are ruining minetest". They obviously don't mean the core, since they usually can't see those changes which are nearly always feature additions, bug fixes, or strict enhancements - instead, they mean the Lua game that is typically bundled along with it.
Changing the name of the Minetest core would further separate the core from the games which is good and what we wanted ever since 0.4.x, and as a side-effect, this would also separate the core from the ridicule.
Ideally, we'd have minetest.net a website for the game Minetest, which utilizes the FreeMine core. Perhaps on the FreeMine website, we'd have several starred games from which the user can pick, instead of just minetest_game bundled with minetest (again, just because they have the option to use a different game doesn't mean they will acknowledge it).
Another big reason for this change is because, let's be honest, "Minetest" does not exactly roll off the tounge easily. People look at me weird when I say that I work on "Minetest".

And celeron, all of your suggested names suck, a lot. Sorry.

BrandonReese
GitHub: bremaweb
IRC: BrandonReese
In-game: BrandonReese

by BrandonReese » Post

hmmmm wrote: ...Changing the name of the Minetest core would further separate the core from the games which is good and what we wanted ever since 0.4.x...
So it sounds like the engine/core would be marketed under a new name as an engine and not a game. And Minetest the game would still exist and it would be the vanilla game we know now.

So games would be more correctly marketed/referred to as "Minetest built on [new engine name]", "Dwarves built on [new engine name]", "Minitest built on [new engine name]"

Traxie21

by Traxie21 » Post

I'd prefer a new name, OpenVox or something.

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

I think it best keep the, name Minetest until we, reach maybe 1.0.0 since we still having tests done to it.
And I don't like to redo something I made.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

paramat
Developer
GitHub: paramat
IRC: paramat

by paramat » Post

Thanks for explaining hmmmm, sounds reasonable to me ... and i was dumb to oppose it earlier ;)

sdzen

by sdzen » Post

hmmmm wrote:I hope you people realize that we would be changing the name of the core, and not the name of the game (minetest).
This was not some arbitrary idea from VanessaE like you make it out to be either. It was originally her suggestion, but it's one that I and many others support and really makes sense once you think about it.
Everybody seems to conflate Minetest the core and Minetest the game all too often, which you can see when players talk about how "minetest has gone to shit" and the "developers are ruining minetest". They obviously don't mean the core, since they usually can't see those changes which are nearly always feature additions, bug fixes, or strict enhancements - instead, they mean the Lua game that is typically bundled along with it.
Changing the name of the Minetest core would further separate the core from the games which is good and what we wanted ever since 0.4.x, and as a side-effect, this would also separate the core from the ridicule.
Ideally, we'd have minetest.net a website for the game Minetest, which utilizes the FreeMine core. Perhaps on the FreeMine website, we'd have several starred games from which the user can pick, instead of just minetest_game bundled with minetest (again, just because they have the option to use a different game doesn't mean they will acknowledge it).
Another big reason for this change is because, let's be honest, "Minetest" does not exactly roll off the tounge easily. People look at me weird when I say that I work on "Minetest".

And celeron, all of your suggested names suck, a lot. Sorry.
honestly I always assume ridicule towards the minetest_game, its only on a rare occasion that I have complaints on the engine. I agree with you there. but.... isn't putting the _game in front of it enough to discriminate? after all its not like we are doing anything useful with the default gamemode (as shown by me not even playing vanilla anymore, oohhh how I loved not needing mods) I like how minetest sounds. and ive never heard much guff about it from people.

Edit: and I like the idea of starred games on the website (just don't break everything up too much mkay?)
Last edited by sdzen on Fri May 03, 2013 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

Zen S.D.

The next generation of tranquility!
malheureusement mon français n'est pas bon :<
Owner of the Zelo's
In game name: MuadTralk, spdtainted, sdzen, sd zen, sdzeno

RealBadAngel

by RealBadAngel » Post

I like Nodea name for core. What do you think about it?

Jordach
GitHub: Jordach
IRC: Jordach
In-game: Jordach

by Jordach » Post

Stop the presses!

Mesetint is an anagram of Minetest.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Jordach wrote:Stop the presses!

Mesetint is an anagram of Minetest.
youdontsay.jpg
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal