Mesecons Machine Competition 3.0!

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

Something new:
The Mesecons Microcontroller!
http://nore.mesecons.net/microC.zip

You can program it, and it can do anything a microcontroller can do, except that it has less EPROOM, and that you won't be able to fit too big programs inside. The after commands are a bit limeted too (you have to wait several clock cycles). It automatically stop executing the program when it has finished, and resumes when an input port gets updated. There are instructions about how to program it in the world folder.
Last edited by Nore on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

VanessaE
GitHub: VanessaE
IRC: VanessaE
In-game: VanessaE

by VanessaE » Post

Insert obligatory "Yo, dawg, I heard you like to..." reference.

VERY impressive!
You might like some of my stuff: Plantlife ~ More Trees ~ Home Decor ~ Pipeworks ~ HDX Textures (64-512px)

jordan4ibanez
GitHub: jordan4ibanez
IRC: jordan4ibanez
In-game: jordan4ibanez

by jordan4ibanez » Post

I made a two sided 2x2 piston door with a cooldown timer.
That's it.
Last edited by jordan4ibanez on Thu Apr 11, 2013 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
hello, am program. do language in rust. make computer do. okay i go now.

Temperest
GitHub: Uberi

by Temperest » Post

A lovely (category 2) digital clock! Only 17x3x5!

This machine displays the time in 24-hour format. Since it uses the Digilines RTC, it works even if you use the /time command. For some reason, at certain times it can be off by as much as 5 minutes.

This is the final result of the newest work-in-progress Laboratory article.

Download:

http://ompldr.org/vaTNmdA/Clock.we
Last edited by Temperest on Sun Apr 14, 2013 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

The Mesecons Laboratory - the art of Mesecons circuitry
Latest article: Mesecons Basics.

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

Do you like cactus? Do you like cactus so much, that you need 20 of them each and every minute of your day? Of course not. Presenting the Cactus-O-Matic 6000, a revolutionary new device that will change the way you obtain cactus forever!

There's no harvesting timer - as soon as a cactus grows, it immediately gets broken and sent along to the collections chest. There's no replanting - everything is fully automatic. AFK at the chest to get massive amounts of cactus! I don't know what for, but it's pretty neat anyways.

Requires technic (or just pipeworks with the node breakers/deployers enabled, which is what I'm using) and mesecons. Also, a build of Minetest recent enough to have growing cactus.

Download:

WorldEdit Schematic

Last entry before the deadline, it seems.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

-------------------- DEADLINE REACHED ----------------

Awesome entries this time again! I like all these machines!
Unfortunately, less competitors in comparison to last time...
Still not easy to decide for me who will win; So expect it to take a week.
Redstone for minetest: Mesecons (mesecons.net)

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

As you have noticed, it took somewhat longer for me than a week to announce the winners, even though the situation looks quite obvious.
There are multiple reasons for it, first of all I didn't have that much total spare time lately, and I mostly spent it on other projects (some of them also minetest-related), but most importantly playing and developing for minetest became quite hard for me as the game constantly crashes (not in the mood to fix these bugs atm...).
This is not the place to complain, I want to announce the winners!
For category 1 (Mesecons <-> Real Life):
It's me! Unfortunately no other competitors :(
Seems like I overestimated the cut set of people that like both electronics and mesecons, even though the two things look quite similar to me.
For category 2 (Use anything): The winner is...
Temperest!
Not only did you, Temperest, once again proof your skill in the 3d, the digital clock and cactus harvester, you also documented the whole process of designing, engineering and building the gadgets on http://uberi.mesecons.net/ . You totally deserve the first place!
Unfortunately I wasn't able to test the Game of Life (Could you fix the download?), but I'm totally in cellular automata and I'd love to see it working (actually one of my latest projects was a 4-dimensional cellular automaton).
For category 3 (Restricted items): The winner is...
Nore!
I'd say this describes best why you deserve the first place so much:
We want prizes!
Eeeehmmm...
All 3 categories will have a seperate winner. If I can't make up something better this time, the prizes will be emails @mesecons.net and subdomains.mesecons.net again...
You can get one more if you want to, PM me... and I decided to add some small feature, another item to mesecons.
You will receive PM with a Link to the code.

The feature will be made publicly available in a week or so unless you decide to do it.
And to everyone, even if you didn't win this time... Thank you for participating!!!
Last edited by Jeija on Mon May 13, 2013 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

Awesome! I fixed the link for the Conway machine in my original post. Here it is again for convenience:

http://ompldr.org/vaWVsag/Conway.we

The only really complex part is the master controller, which basically handles all the operations that make it work. Without loops, the code got a little hairy.

I don't really need another domain name/email myself, the competition was fun enough in its own right, especially seeing all the cool things other people were building :)
WorldEdit 1.0 released

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

Jeija said: Good creations so far! I like how smoothly the category 2 creations work, no lag at all.
@Temperest: I got your Printer working, but had to heavily patch it. The .wem file is missing some things, like the pistons below and the lava has become obsidian; The pistons are at wrong places sometimes.
Maybe you could just upload the world file?
(can you link me where can I install the printer? because the link given is not working for me.)

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

Ompldr seems to be down temporarily. Here's the WE schematic @ DropBox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8097754/Printer.we

The original links should probably work again after a while.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

Temperest said: Ompldr seems to be down temporarily. Here's the WE schematic @ DropBox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8097754/Printer.we
The original links should probably work again after a while.
(thanks! by the way how do you use this bunch of codes?)
Last edited by aron1263 on Mon May 20, 2013 03:32, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

WE files are also known as WorldEdit schematics. Diwnload the Printer.we file as it is named, making sure the extension is in fact .we. Put the file in a folder called schems in your world folder (the one that we will be putting the printer into).

First, make sure you have WorldEdit, and a recent version at that (the github link is always pointing to the very latest version, 0.6 is slightly outdated already): http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=572

(I might be a bit biased, but you should have this anyways because it's so darn useful)

Next, you can find out how to use this mod by reading README.md. I tried to make the documentation as simple to follow as possible, but ask if you have any questions. In short, many things are done with chat commands.

Use //pos1 to set we position 1 to the location of your player. Optionally, at this point you can use //allocate Printer to see how much space it will take up when we import it later. The corners of the region of space it takes up will be visible as black markers. Now, if everything is fine at this point, use //load Printer to put the actual schematic as real nodes into your world. It will be placed at WorldEdit position 1, or at least one corner of it.

I recommend doing it in a new world first, since if you're not careful WorldEdit is still a very powerful tool and can cause massive damage.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

it seems like when i load it, the water and lava are spilling and the pistons and other mesecons are all burned up and in the upper corner it say failed to load some nodes..... why? but thanks for the instructions
Last edited by aron1263 on Tue May 21, 2013 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

Jeija

by Jeija » Post

Same thing happened to me, I had to replace the burned stuff and build the missing pieces.

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

Hmm, here's the world download then:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8097754/Test.zip

I can load the schematic without problems, I just plonked it down in my main test world here.

Edit: by the way, what were the error messages? I can check out what went wrong for future reference.
Last edited by Temperest on Tue May 21, 2013 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

The error message was: 09:43:03: ERROR[main]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "air" at (-9,12,170) (block (-1,0,10))
And some are like this: 09:43:03: ERROR[ServerThread]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "air" at (-7,16,108) (block (-1,1,10))

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

Temperest wrote:Hmm, here's the world download then:
I can load the schematic without problems, I just plonked it down in my main test world here.
Edit: by the way, what were the error messages? I can check out what went wrong for future reference.
so i downloaded the map and here what i saw.
i dont know why there is a unkown block but i have the mesecons mod.

Edit: nevermind i fixed it, i reinstall the jeija's mesecons and it worked properly now.
btw what are the mods you used here? cause some of the blocks are still unknowned.
Last edited by aron1263 on Wed May 22, 2013 02:19, edited 1 time in total.

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

aron1263 wrote:The error message was: 09:43:03: ERROR[main]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "air" at (-9,12,170) (block (-1,0,10))
And some are like this: 09:43:03: ERROR[ServerThread]: Map::setNode(): Not allowing to place CONTENT_IGNORE while trying to replace "air" at (-7,16,108) (block (-1,1,10))
That is most likely because the block isn't loaded. It might help if you keep your player character near the position where it is being loaded.
aron1263 wrote:
Temperest wrote:Hmm, here's the world download then:
so i downloaded the map and here what i saw.
i dont know why there is a unkown block but i have the mesecons mod.

Edit: nevermind i fixed it, i reinstall the jeija's mesecons and it worked properly now.
btw what are the mods you used here? cause some of the blocks are still unknowned.
This machine uses Mesecons and Digilines. You are probably missing digilines. If you're using a recent version of MT, you might also need to enable it for the world by pressing "Configure" with the world selected.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

could you show me the new link so that i can download the Cactus-O-Matic 6000, because the ompldr is not working. Thanks! and by the way the printer.we is working properly now but it seems its not printing properly because i watched your video on youtube and it prints properly but mine is not same as yours.
Here is mine:

oxenfreedan

by oxenfreedan » Post

Boy you guys are good I can't figure out how you did any of this!
My Awesome Map please try:
http://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?id=5028
I've played minetest since 0.3.1 came out!
Mostly when on forums I'm using a uniden tablet!

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

aron1263 wrote:could you show me the new link so that i can download the Cactus-O-Matic 6000, because the ompldr is not working. Thanks! and by the way the printer.we is working properly now but it seems its not printing properly because i watched your video on youtube and it prints properly but mine is not same as yours.
Here is mine:
Here's a new link, it seems like Ompldr is going down for good due to a lack of funding... https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/809 ... tusFarm.we

A shame really, ompldr is the easiest-to-use host I've see for a while now.

The printer requires a lag-free environment to work properly. It looks like you might have a bit of lag there. I have another version that works around this, but it requires pipeworks and optionally technic. You can also try adjusting the delay values in the code (the master controller is the one that's connected to everything else, near the center of the casing).
WorldEdit 1.0 released

aron1263

by aron1263 » Post

when i downloaded your schematics here what i got:
see the error messages

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

It seems like your blocks aren't loaded properly. You might want to try increasing the load distance, or just walking around in the area you plan to load the schematic in before actually loading it.

Unfortunately, without a force-load API, there is no workaround for this.
WorldEdit 1.0 released

Nore
Developer
GitHub: Ekdohibs

by Nore » Post

So that additionnal feature won't be added? (it looks like more than one week has passed...)

Temperest

by Temperest » Post

I believe that you are supposed to request the feature itself, and it will be implemented in Mesecons. I myself don't really have any ideas for this, since Mesecons pretty much already has everything I've wanted out of it.
WorldEdit 1.0 released