[Modpack] Sea [0.4.2] [sea]

Topywo

[Modpack] Sea [0.4.2] [sea]

by Topywo » Post

Version 0.4.2

- the corals can be crafted on any place into dyes (4). When the colormachine mod is enabled, the corals must be crafted in the colormachine
- the lights (seaglass), cobble, gravel and stone can either be made using all 3 ingredients or by making 'base-'blocks and combining those later with dye. The ingredients can be placed anywhere in the craft
- cobble can be cooked into stone and stone drops cobble
- stonebricks are made by combining 4 stone-blocks in a square
- lights, cobble, gravel, stone and stonebricks can make stairs and slabs like those in the 'default/stairs' mod. Just don't expect gravel stairs and slabs to stick to the ceiling
- Not only punching can put lights (including stairs and slabs) on/off, but also putting them anywhere in the crafting grid turns them into their opposite[/spoiler]

Downloads 0.4.2:

Zip: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... .0.4.2.zip
Tar.gz: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... 4.2.tar.gz
7z: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/654 ... a.0.4.2.7z

Dependencies ?=optional:
- clams --> default
- noairblocks --> default
- seacobble --> default, dye, stairs, clams, whiteshell? , colormachine?
- seacoral --> default, noairblocks, unifieddyes, colormachine?
- seaglass --> default, dye, stairs, clams, stairsshine? , colormachine?
- seagravel --> default, dye, stairs, clams, whiteshell? , colormachine?
- sealamps --> default, bucket, noairblocks
- seaplants --> default, noairblocks
- seastone --> default, dye, stairs, clams, whiteshell? , colormachine?
- seastonebrick --> default, stairs, seastone, colormachine?
- seawrecks --> default
- stairsshine --> default
- whiteshell --> default, clams

Recommended mod to use with the sea modpack: leetelate's scuba mod:

viewtopic.php?id=7227

Working direct download link scuba:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65428713/scuba.zip
Spoiler
Changes

When there's no 'sea' node nearby, the water will turn back into normal water (filling air holes at the surface).

Bug coral not appearing when using the colormachine fixed.
Credits:

Celeron55, Kahrl, VanessaE, Cornernote, Chinchow, Sapier, Inocudom, Jeija, Neuromancer, Sokomine, Mossmanikin, Jouster27, Chlue

Licenses:

Code
- Most of it is under GNU Lesser General Public License 2,1 or later or following the specific licenses of the mods from which code was used

Sound
- dirt, sand, gravel, sand, stone and leaves --> Mito551 (sounds) (CC BY-SA)

Textures
- dirt, tree and chests textures --> Cisoun's WTFPL texture pack
- animated water textures --> RealBadAngel's animated water (WTFPL)
- cobble and wood textures --> Originating from G4JC's Almost MC Texture Pack
- sea-modpack --> Topywo Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0)

Before using code and textures, look for the specific licenses in the files:
LICENSE AND README.txt of the sea modpack, the readme.txt's of the mods in the sea modpack and the readme.txt's and licenses.txt's and likewise documents of the supporting mods among which the minetest_game mods.
Last edited by Topywo on Wed Apr 26, 2017 19:51, edited 12 times in total.

Chinchow

by Chinchow » Post

Looks good thanks for the credit though I don't think I deserve it.
Sometimes, it's harder to think up a mod than it is to create it.
Mods: Orichalcum Stonebricks Extra Chests

Inocudom
IRC: Inocudom
In-game: Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Minetest's oceans and lakes can be rather dull, but this mod has the potential to make them more interesting.

kaeza
GitHub: kaeza
IRC: kaeza diemartin blaaaaargh
In-game: kaeza

by kaeza » Post

Excellent!
This will bring more diversity to the seas.
+1
Your signature is not the place for a blog post. Please keep it as concise as possible. Thank you!

Check out my stuff! | Donations greatly appreciated! PayPal

Likwid H-Craft

by Likwid H-Craft » Post

Epic Job having seen any, mod like this.
+5000
And if only there was a rating system :/ but it don't so, I will make one up so I give you 5000 MESE yeah that, right MESE since MC is Diamonds so, MT will, be MESE. what you think guys how much MESE he get?

Oh next you should add sponge since on mine portaltest if you played it, that what was the Something block is, I just can't come up with a name for portal rated.
Last edited by Likwid H-Craft on Wed Jan 30, 2013 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
My Domain's/others:
http://likwidtest.hj.cx/ (Not Done)

pandaro
GitHub: pandaro

by pandaro » Post

original!
sorry for bad english
Linux debian 7 wheezy 64
kde

Rancon

by Rancon » Post

how to harvest the shells?
Any tips on blender, gimp, or codea?

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Rancon wrote:how to harvest the shells?
Any normal tool will do. The iron sword works best, followed by the axe and shovel. Hit the shell when it's half open or complete open. When closed, it doesn't take damage.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

I looks like work on this mod has stopped. It is a good mod and should be maintained.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Inocudom wrote:I looks like work on this mod has stopped. It is a good mod and should be maintained.
Thanks! I didn't try if it still works properly with the latest version(s). As far as I know both damage system and (ore) generation have had some changes. I'll take a look at that, but not too soon.

To enlarge this modpack I'll need to find a way to work around the water/air bubble or the max amount of entities.

I'm a bit busy at the moment and not very good in LUA.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Like it and use it!
Makes sea, lakes and desert more interesting.
Collecting the broken sea shells on desert sand is a bit like fossil hunting. :D

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

It seems like this mod doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It makes oceans and even deserts prettier to look at.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Thanks all off you!
Inocudom wrote:It seems like this mod doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It makes oceans and even deserts prettier to look at.
Maybe I'll need to simplify crafting a bit. Furthermore entities are difficult to control. They spawn too much or not enough, get deleted/are limited, but are necessary for a nice texture in water. I still need to find a way to work around that.

I just tried this mod out again and noticed to things to do first:
- changing the 'sand' algae colors into the new sand colors
- I think I didn't gave use to the empty bleachers. Since sometimes buckets (with water) are not available I guess I'll replace the bucket with the empty bleacher.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

You could try creating nodebox models for the clams and create the effect of them being in water by doing what mesecons does with the top of its water turbine when it contacts flowing water.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Inocudom wrote:You could try creating nodebox models for the clams and create the effect of them being in water by doing what mesecons does with the top of its water turbine when it contacts flowing water.
Thanks!

I'll check that out.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

How is progress with this mod? There isn't much modding activity with mods these days.
Last edited by Inocudom on Wed May 29, 2013 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Inocudom wrote:How is progress with this mod? There isn't much modding activity with mods these days.
Your hint about Jeija's windtubine was very usefull :-)

As long as the block is surrounded it does look 'normal'. But as you can see (the blue water and green stripe) a bit glitchy. You can have or more blue glitching or a thicker yellow line.

I've been busy renaming and testing the old sea-mods to clams, since they're more or less one mod. I'm also busy making a mod called 'seaplants'. So the sea modpack will be containing two seperate mods called clams and seaplants.

I'll be busy the next days/weeks, making some seaplants, finding some uses for them and coding the stuff.

Mossmanikin

by Mossmanikin » Post

Apart from the glitches those plants look really nice.
Can't wait for the next update.

Noob 4 life!
My stuff

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Have you succeeded with the underwater plants yet? Concerning their nodes, you could have their bases be their location nodes and have their stems and leaves be extensions of that (so that water can appear inside the stems and leaves.)
Last edited by Inocudom on Sat Jun 15, 2013 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Inocudom wrote:Have you succeeded with the underwater plants yet? Concerning their nodes, you could have their bases be their location nodes and have their stems and leaves be extensions of that (so that water can appear inside the stems and leaves.)
Making nodeboxes is taking me more time than expected. Last week I had some time to work on this mod. I'll try to release a part in 1-3 days.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Sea 0.2 is out, see post 1.

Neuromancer
GitHub: Neuromancer56

by Neuromancer » Post

I really like this mod because it makes the seas interesting. However after playing for a couple hours the lag becomes so massive that I only get 1 fps and Minetest becomes unplayable. I think it might be caused by the sea plants emitting light. Can you create an option to disable this plant light feature? It's not entirely realistic for undersea plants emitting light anyway.

I noticed one small bug. High up in the desert far away from any water I am seeing crushed shells.

Inocudom

by Inocudom » Post

Other people should test this mod as well so that bugs and glitches can be found and solved. By doing this, this mod could be used on servers one day.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Neuromancer wrote:I really like this mod because it makes the seas interesting. However after playing for a couple hours the lag becomes so massive that I only get 1 fps and Minetest becomes unplayable. I think it might be caused by the sea plants emitting light. Can you create an option to disable this plant light feature? It's not entirely realistic for undersea plants emitting light anyway.

I noticed one small bug. High up in the desert far away from any water I am seeing crushed shells.
Thanks for the constructive feedback.

I noticed the lag too testing with an interval of 4 and chance of 2. I'll first try with the lightsource disabled. The reason I use a lightsource for the seaplants is because it gave the best overal texture results during daylight(high/low place in the water give lighter/darker textures).

That bug is intentionaI. I thought crushed shells could be in the deserts because there might have been an ocean long time ago. If it is bothering too much I could make a water (nearby) check for it.

Topywo

by Topywo » Post

Disabling the lightsource didn't improve the performance, but I'll disable it anyway for the seaplants. Some other tests also failed.

Since it's the amount of 'nodes' causing the very low fps, Ill look for a way to decrease the max amount of possible seaplants in an area.

I'm thinking of using an on generate/ABM-neighbor combination or some extensive typing, preventing adding nodes in the vicinity of already added seaplants (I have the impression that the amount of code-lines doesn't influence performance).