Minecarts

No-Half-Measures

Minecarts

by No-Half-Measures » Post

Well since there are 'Minecart Tracks' shouldn't they have a use?

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Minecarts would be rather hard to do, we'll need 3D models for entities first, else Minecarts will just have a very strange look.

ntpspe

by ntpspe » Post

Not nessasarily. You guys ever seen manic digger? They have minecart tracks, but no minecarts. When you stand on a track and press 'V' you basically clip to the track, and the arrowkeys speed/slow your movement along it. That could be easier to implement :)

neko259

by neko259 » Post

You can make platforms (no 3d, only 2d platform under player).
s3tuPDfUv2IyvXHzPmE31MQvnWULv1zj

No-Half-Measures

Calinou wrote:Minecarts would be rather hard to do, we'll need 3D models for entities first, else Minecarts will just have a very strange look.
Why would you need a 3D model?
Fences are made up of a series of Rendered shapes just like Minecraft, The same thing can be done with Minecarts.

Example of the Minecart:

Now it doesn't need wheels for now as we are focusing more on design. This simple design would on require 5 Rendered blocks.

High comparison:
Normal Block | Track | Cart

Calinou
GitHub: Calinou
IRC: Calinou
In-game: Calinou

by Calinou » Post

Then the Minecarts would move "block by block", and the animation would be really bad.
I mean there are no 3D models for entities yet. Like mobs/players. And, two blocks can't "live" in the same space.

No-Half-Measures

Calinou wrote:Then the Minecarts would move "block by block", and the animation would be really bad.
Why would it move block by block?
Players move about on not blocked spaces (IE can move about freely) so what makes you think a block/Entity could not?
Calinou wrote:And, two blocks can't "live" in the same space.
Couldn't answer that as its not been done yet so doesn't mean it cant be done, besides the minecart wouldn't be a block.

stormrider2

by stormrider2 » Post

I was thinking of the same thing. The minecarts will be just platforms and we could build onto them. I was thinking about building boats as well. I will talk to celeron tomorrow about that and if we could do it then we would feature it in the game. But first we have bigger fish to fry. Such as making new blocks and new textures.

Staffs

by Staffs » Post

stormrider2 wrote:I was thinking of the same thing. The minecarts will be just platforms and we could build onto them. I was thinking about building boats as well. I will talk to celeron tomorrow about that and if we could do it then we would feature it in the game. But first we have bigger fish to fry. Such as making new blocks and new textures.
I like fish !
I love mods :D